Arturia synth development.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fmr wrote:
Robmobius wrote: Genuinely sorry to hear about Xavier. But I can't say I'm optimistic about Arturia on the software front. Considering the few I own, I never use. Thier hardware looks far more appealing.
Sorry why? He is alive and well. He left to found his own company. Tt's called Xils-Lab, I think you know it (you mentioned Xils, but apparently you don't know who is Xils :hihi: . BTW - he was one of the main programmers of the Mini you bashed out so quickly. Apparently, he learned a few things after he left :roll:
That's actually interesting. When someone mentioned Xavier I was immediately thinking if this is the same person who is behind Xils-Lab. Had no idea that he was working for Arturia before. Because Xils synths do sound absolutely gorgeous. They probably make the most analog sounding synths of any developer. Which raises the question why do the Arturia synths sound so plastic-y. They sound nothing close to Xils-Lab synths.
No signature here!

Ingonator wrote:I still like the Jupter 8 emulation for what it is even if it does not sound exatly like the real thing (and i also got Diva for Jupiter 8 sounds). To be fair none of teh xsiting Jupiter 9 emulations including the recent Roland ones seems to sound like the real thing (i owned teh real thing more than 10 years ago).
Are you sure you even remember all the sound details of the Jupiter 8 after 10+ years? :wink: Maybe your memory is better than the Jupiter 8 :hihi:

Why did Xavier leave Arturia actually? Always interested in the "latest" synth gossip. :D

(If anyone knows why Markus parted with refx, i'd be interested in hearing that story too ;))

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Ingonator wrote:I still like the Jupter 8 emulation for what it is even if it does not sound exatly like the real thing (and i also got Diva for Jupiter 8 sounds). To be fair none of teh xsiting Jupiter 9 emulations including the recent Roland ones seems to sound like the real thing (i owned teh real thing more than 10 years ago).
Are you sure you even remember all the sound details of the Jupiter 8 after 10+ years? :wink: Maybe your memory is better than the Jupiter 8 :hihi:
There's no need to call on memory. We have countless recordings. And there are plenty of Jupiters arounf still. What happens is that the sound of these classics (althoguh they sounded great, that's no question) is somehow mistified, and many people talah about the "analogue sound", or the Minimoog sound, without having ever heard the real thing. They confuse the produced sound on records with the real sound.

OTOH, Arturia, for some reason I cannot understand, seems to attract the hatred of the usual suspects. To the point of bashing products that were essentially made by the same person they praise in another company.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:OTOH, Arturia, for some reason I cannot understand, seems to attract the hatred of the usual suspects. To the point of bashing products that were essentially made by the same person they praise in another company.
I've always wondered about the Arturia-hate too.

Well, get a lot of top notch producers to endorse your product, put a price tag of $200 plus, and don't have a company rep which is up day and night to shove it up the ar** of the forums community, and, haters gonna hate. :P I don't think Jean Michel Jarre, or other considerable artists hate on Arturia, it's mostly hobbyists, who are p***ed off that, even with their new shiny $150 synth, they're only able to make bleep bleep, and feel like ranting on forums over their frustrations.

Sorry, someone had to say it. :hihi: That all said so, i do think there are better emulations, or analog modelling synths than the Arturia. I think they need to up their game, and develop Arturia Analog Modelling version 2, or however it was called, i forgot the marketing buzz terminology.

fmr wrote:
OTOH, Arturia, for some reason I cannot understand, seems to attract the hatred of the usual suspects. To the point of bashing products that were essentially made by the same person they praise in another company.
Xavier likely has advanced his skills a lot since then... same as Urs at u-he has.

Also, the Arturia softsynths in general are just not at the same level of the other best emulations of today. Saying that is not hatred. I only perused this thread, but don't recall seeing much hatred.

And I think Arturia is doing some impressive stuff in hardware... i.e. the MatrixBrute and their cool new drum machine is sweet too.

pdxindy wrote:
fmr wrote:
Xavier likely has advanced his skills a lot since then... same as Urs at u-he has.

Also, the Arturia softsynths in general are just not at the same level of the other best emulations of today. Saying that is not hatred. I only perused this thread, but don't recall seeing much hatred.
I don't see much of that here either. But it is present in other Arturia threads, or, especially, other analog modelled product threads.

pdxindy wrote:
fmr wrote:

And I think Arturia is doing some impressive stuff in hardware... i.e. the MatrixBrute and their cool new drum machine is sweet too.
Agreed, it's not just about who wrote the synths, it's the context in which they were written. I don't really like ZebraCM that much either. I don't think it sounds that great, it's ok, but it's not Diva or Bazille and I'm pretty sure that Urs would agree with that assessment.

I thought that the latest upgrade was too expensive. I'm waiting on a sale, but I don't get that excited about it TBH. I do use them from time to time, some more than others, but almost never when I expect to push the synth. There are some CS-80 presets that were just what I wanted recently, for example, but they probably could have been done with any emu, I just had the presets right there so I used them.

I think that the biggest issue is that they haven't really put enough energy into keeping them competitive.

fmr wrote: It's not a mini-moog modular. The name is Moog Modular. Moog is the name of the guy who made them, and the Mini was an after thought for those who wanted a pre-wired portable synth they could carry with them, instead of the mamoth modular systems - those are the modulars, and the Moog Modular was modeled after the Moog System 55 - https://www.moogmusic.com/products/modulars/system-55/. Again, you show your ignorance.
Ignorance? I would say apathy… I don’t care if it’s called a modular gazebo with flying polyps.

I certainly do know the background of Mr. Moog. But I’m not too bothered if I get called up on a naming ‘mistake’ that I made. And scraping the barrel for insults, is that your best, a mistake? Mind you, I’ve seen you swing your handbag at anyone who doesn’t seem to like Arturia. Don’t worry so much, just chill butterfly… :love:

Anyway who cares? I don’t care if it has ‘no competition’ what’s your (moot) point? Evasion it seems… It still sounds dry and lacklustre to me.

I'm sure you'd never make a mistake though - You being such a taste ruler. :love:
fmr wrote: Sorry why? He is alive and well. He left to found his own company. Tt's called Xils-Lab, I think you know it (you mentioned Xils, but apparently you don't know who is Xils :hihi: . BTW - he was one of the main programmers of the Mini you bashed out so quickly. Apparently, he learned a few things after he left :roll:
Damn! so I don’t know some devs name? Who gives a crap? I’m sure you know every dev’s name that walked the planet. What a stupid pathetic statement to make.

However, you’ve just made my night, by telling me about Xavier and Xils Lab. I certainly know their synths and that’s what counts (I have them all). Good job he left Arturia and formed Xils, that are light years ahead imo. And if he made those products, like you say for arturia, then he’s improved 10 fold.
Robmobius wrote: You're not many, but you make a lot of noise, as usual.

I’m a troll because… Wait for it, I don’t like arturia’s synths? Some good logic there bud, but that’s not your strong point is it. If anything your trolling just because someone doesn’t like Arturia. Keyboard warriors terrify me…

Insult one of the synths I like or a dev. I couldn’t give a toss…Have at it. It means ‘nout coming from you anyway.
fmr wrote: So, you used a Jupiter-8? Good for you. Unfortunately you seem to have learned nothing with it.
That’s a very nebulous statement and what should I have learned synth Jesus? Don’t answer, that’s a rhetorical question. Again, you made a fantastic and logical leap there… Meh.

Well, I did learn one thing, that Arturia’s emu is nowhere near the hardware. Oh, and I’ve used quite a few Moogs as well. Just not an original vintage one. So your facts, are again a tad fictitious.

Check your facts before you make more puny inaccurate accusations. Ever think of becoming a lawyer?

But I’m sure everyone listens to you, as you’re a ‘taste ruler’. In fact, while your at it, what’s that phrase all about? I know what you’re trying to say. It’s seems a very odd way to express it, could it be a mistake?

Maybe you also taste wooden rulers in your spare time. Yum! :P
Last edited by Robmobius on Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Aryaroman wrote:
Robmobius wrote:You do realize that I'm being sarcastic? I'm in my mid-forties. :lol:
Nope, completely missed that. I thought you were in your mid-puberty.
Did you come up with that one yourself? It's brilliant...
Aryaroman wrote: I don't understand your statement that 80s horror is no longer. I tought it's living a new golden age.
Side-note, I prefer the 70s to 80s in a lot of things, despite my fascination in synthwave.
Say what you see... Christ in heaven! :lol:

On a side note:

PS - I wasn't being sarky about bob tho'. I do dislike 'older gents' who feel that they are owed respect because they are still currently alive. As I said, I don't want or need respect from anyone.
Last edited by Robmobius on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

ghettosynth wrote: I thought that the latest upgrade was too expensive.
The latest "upgrade" included Synclavier V. That alone would already justify the price. But there are other treats in there too. But it's OK, no one is forced to like the same thing. :borg:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:[But it's OK, no one is forced to like the same thing. :borg:
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. :?

fmr wrote:
ghettosynth wrote: I thought that the latest upgrade was too expensive.
The latest "upgrade" included Synclavier V. That alone would already justify the price. But there are other treats in there too. But it's OK, no one is forced to like the same thing. :borg:
Well, to be clear, I'm not really looking for your approval. I demoed the Synclavier, I didn't think that it was worth the upgrade price. It's not really the kind of thing that I'm interested in as I'm not a fetishist about old hardware. Since I have Analog Lab 2, or whatever it's called, I have some presets in any case and have yet to use any of them. Don't get me wrong, I do a lot of FM and Additive stuff, I just don't think the Synclavier is that useful of a framework for that sort of thing.

That really didn't drive my disappointment as much as the failure to do much of anything with the old filter models and the lackluster sound of the organs and pianos. There too, I decided that, to the extent that I would use the pianos, analog lab was enough for me.

I get that some people feel that the Synclavier was worth the upgrade alone, I needed more than that to justify a $200 upgrade price. Had I liked the pianos and organs, I probably would have upgraded, but I just wasn't really feeling any of them. I'll either wait for the intersection of a sale and a good mood, or just wait for the next round and see what they offer.

Robmobius wrote:
SLiC wrote:
I would be interested to hear Legend (or any VST, even Arturia :wink: ) through the new Electron Analogue Heat (which works via overbridge as a plug in in your standard plug in chain). It adds real analogue overdrive (from subtle driven desk to harsh), EQ and Filter...that may get pretty close to 'the real thing' with VST convenience...but nothing beats the satisfaction of plugging in a real patch lead (+ if it wasn't for hardware my home studio wouldn't look like a studio! :D )
That thing looks class! I'm a sucker for proper analog distortion, the demos sound brilliant too. :) 799e it's expensive but I'm actually tempted. Thanks for the info'.

I think the Arturia is good bang for your buck, but I'd only really want Synclavier. I have Solina and SEM V. SEM is okay. But I quite like Solina though.
"Electron Analogue Heat" - Elektron, something like $700 isn't it? Can't help but to go OT for the moment. The quote sounds to me like you haven't actually heard it yet. Or have you. I use overdrive and distortion as a keyboardist somewhat less than I suppose most guitarists rely. But can't you buy an entire hardware amp for that price? And I have a rule about the number of controls on little boxes. More than 4 or 5 on any OD -- and I don't care how supposedly "great-sounding" and that nonsense concept of "real analog-sounding" and that's way to many knobs and switches for me. I insist on getting a great sound - all tweaked in -- in under 5 minutes, because I prefer to spend my time playing music, not fooling with some overpriced metal box with teeny controls. It's got out of hand, I tell ya. Our band fired a guitarist once who had this beautiful old BC Rich guitar with 20 knobs and switches. He spent more time adjusting the thing than he did making any noise from it. Even then, you couldn't hear a difference in any of the changes made to the axe.

Meanwhile, so glad to see that there is still no love for Arturia, the company that everyone loves to hate. I upgraded to the most recent collection, cost me less than two U-he softsynths. I really have no issues with any of the 17 - SEVENTEEN - instruments, and the Synclavier is to die for. I simply can't understand all the hate for Arturia. Same chaps complaining for 5 or 10 years in threads. Go use something else if you can't cope. I like the company. Always very helpful and I don't think they deserve what I so often perceive as over-fussy complaints.

Return to “Instruments”