PSP old timer vs Fabfilter ProC2, which one is suitable for the following things?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After research, I ended up with these two compressors and I dont decide for another one, so please no suggestions!
Im looking for a compressor because my on-board compressor is not as good as the two mentioned ones. I miss punch, with enough compression and no subtile effects...
So the following points are important for me:
-flexibility (use it as limiter, bus compressor or channel compressor on every sound)
-make it loud and even with clipping no destroying of transients even with fast attack
-a range of sound characteristica, from subtile to pumping
-side chaining possible

I tried the demos too but I cant decide. :(
Both have the mentioned points, but the PSP one has his own color, the ProC2 is more neutral. I like the warm sound, but is it still good on many tracks? Otherwise the ProC2 has many possibilities and a graphica display, which can be really really important! The PSP one is basic in its settings, which can support a creative flow.

Please help me and decide for me indirectly with goof arguments against or for it.

Especially the CPU amount or eventual bugs can be a K.O. criterion!

Fabfilter, no regrets.

Isnt the CPU usage higher or has it some CPU peaks?

Do you already have these, or are you considering them? If the former, not sure why you feel you need to only have one. As you're already aware, they both do the job differently, and both do it well!

Now, that being said, for an all-around comp, Pro C2 is the better choice. (Old Timer is not meant to be transparent/neutral).

Pro-C 2! It's way more versatile.

On my machine Pro-C 2 and oldTimer use exactly the same CPU, but oldTimer ME is hungrier.

And actually oldTimer has no external sidechain...

I was actually slightly wrong with the CPU usage ^.

oldTimer in Clear mode uses a bit more cycles than Pro-C 2. And in Valve mode almost doubles the usage.

OldTimer ME in Clear mode uses double the CPU of Pro-C 2 and in Valve mode I get triple usage (a bit more than Pro-C 2 2x oversampled).

If you want flexibility, Pro-C 2 - no brainer.

Both are nice, but you'll get a lot more sound shaping possibilities with Pro-C 2.

Return to “Effects”