Does anyone here care about Cakewalk's SONAR?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For as much as I care for Sonar, I don't feel any need for built in sampler if Sonar already works well with many excellent 3rd party apps.

My 50 cent. :wink:

chris.r wrote:For as much as I care for Sonar, I don't feel any need for built in sampler if Sonar already works well with many excellent 3rd party apps.

Respect.

I find myself in agreement with the elevator analogy in paragraph 2 of this post.

There is much talk in this forum about improving workflow, is it not?

Also, Cakewalk bills Sonar as, "the most complete music production package." I realize that pretty much any company selling anything engages in a certain amount of hype, but the lack of a proper integrated sampler seems to be tone deaf, in this case.

telecharge wrote:
chris.r wrote:For as much as I care for Sonar, I don't feel any need for built in sampler if Sonar already works well with many excellent 3rd party apps.

Respect.

I find myself in agreement with the elevator analogy in paragraph 2 of this post.

There is much talk in this forum about improving workflow, is it not?

Also, Cakewalk bills Sonar as, "the most complete music production package." I realize that pretty much any company selling anything engages in a certain amount of hype, but the lack of a proper integrated sampler seems to be tone deaf, in this case.
I absolutely get your point. Just sharing personal feelings.
To me more important over what they call Sonar and trying it to be, is that it will well function bringing me joy of making music. And since years it is. The rest is very very nice addition.

Lacking simple sampler also from Cubase. Problem solved using 3rd party.
Forums of Steinberg, like Cakewalk, demand also simple sampler native? Yes, it is so.

I do not understand this being so much desired from users. Workflow is not like elevators and stairs, it is like stepping to avoid cracked pavement once in a thousand mile journey.

Would enjoy maybe this journey not being interrupted so much with things always crashing or moving wrongly out of focus.

whyterabbyt wrote:Why should we care, exactly? I find most DAWs 'lacking in sampling capabilities'... because they're DAWs, not samplers. Do I care that any of them, including Sonar, lack in 'sampling capabilities'? No, because they dont lack in recording capabilities, and, I already own more than a few instruments of my own choosing that are capable of playing back samples. And I dont actually want programmer resources that could go into DAW functionality and support to be wasted on yet another bundled cut-down plugin I dont need.
This is my thought as well. I love using Sonar but I rarely use a lot of their built in plugins and libraries because... they simply can't compare to third party stuff that many people already use.

I use the same argument against notation. Sure, building notation from the ground up would be nice but why bother when there are better options that exist already. The time and money spent on something that can't compare would be a waste when it should be going into other areas to make the program better. It would be like them dumping Melodyne in favour of making their own pitch correction.

Zookes wrote:Lacking simple sampler also from Cubase. Problem solved using 3rd party.
Forums of Steinberg, like Cakewalk, demand also simple sampler native? Yes, it is so.
What's wrong with Halion Sonic SE?

Edit: OK, forget that... just found out that it can't import user samples. Ugh...

chk071 wrote:
Zookes wrote:Lacking simple sampler also from Cubase. Problem solved using 3rd party.

Edit: OK, forget that... just found out that it can't import user samples. Ugh...
Yes, the Halion rompler is not so good by comparison of competition. I am unsure why Steinberg updates and sells it. Maybe to occupy idle hands? I do not know.

This calling for simple samplers by users tho, I do not understand it. There exist already so many such options by 3rd party, this is maybe desire for same similar theming to be more visually pleasing as Ableton Live? This is vanity? I am confused.

Zookes wrote:
chk071 wrote:

Yes, the Halion rompler is not so good by comparison of competition.
Actually, i completely missed that it IS a rompler, and not a sampler. So, yeah, that's what happens when you fired the thing up maybe once or twice, and then think you know something about it. :D

I guess we're not short of also free sampler options though, and Kontakt is a monster anyway, so, if you have that, you probably won't in your life need a sampler in your DAW.

I'd suggest avoiding proprietary samplers (heck, DAW-locked instruments/plugins in general) at all costs. One day you may decide you don't want to use Sonar anymore, and having something like Kontakt allows for portability. Your Kontakt instruments/patches will work with every DAW. Sonar used to be my primary DAW but I moved mostly to Studio One, but I also use Reaper on occasion and I may transfer a project from one DAW to another. Best if I can move everything, hence why I like sticking to non-DAW-locked plugs.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I'd suggest avoiding proprietary samplers (heck, DAW-locked instruments/plugins in general) at all costs.
Very wise words!

If you're in music production for a longer time, you'll
appreciate to have independent samplers! Because
one day all your sonar-sample-patches may become
worthless.
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: One day you may decide you don't want to use Sonar anymore, and having something like Kontakt allows for portability. Your Kontakt instruments/patches will work with every DAW.
But unfortunately the same applies to kontakt. Also kontakt
may one time not be the standard. And if you can't
migrate your kontakt-programs you'd have a lot of work to do.

Also kontakt is "dongle-based". If one time in the future you
need to recall an older song, and this song is made with kontact
and its dongle, you'll have a hard time to search for this old dongle.
Somewhere in your studio you'll find the dongle - or you
won't.

Today you think this time will never come. But when it comes
you'll remember my words! :)

So I plead for simple free and dongleless samplers.
At least for long term and solid studio works. :tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

enroe wrote: Also kontakt is "dongle-based".
No it isn't.

aMUSEd wrote:
enroe wrote: Also kontakt is "dongle-based".
No it isn't.
Oh sorry, my fault! :oops:

All my words refer to dongle-based software,
and thus NOT to kontakt.

I mistaked Kontakt to Halion (Steinberg Sampler)
which is dongle-based - sorry! :dog:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”