What are mainstream artists doing differently

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When you look at mainstream artists and how they produce the instrumentals, are they doing things differently. What are they really good at? From sound design to finding good samples and presets also really good at pattern arrangements etc. Do they use the same plugins serum, nexus, spire etc?

Would be good to have a discussion to see how they produce top quality songs and what makes them good, what are they good at etc. I mainly produce hip hop and trap song but talking about songs like

The Chainsmokers
Major Lazor
DJ Snake
Martin Harris
Calvin Harris
Flume
Fifth Harmony

What are ways to learn to produce like them? I have Fruity Loops would downloading FLP's and studying remakes be the best bet?

While I am no expert, I can tell you it doesn't matter which samples or plugins you use. Only you can make it sound good. Sure most rappers use quality samples and some plugins, but you can do some research

Practice makes perfect.
Finish your songs, even if they suck. Finish a song a week and after a couple years you will have learnt something.
Pro producers have hundreds or sometimes thousands of songs under their belt.

Don't use only stock sounds or presets, tweak them or even create them from scratch. Learn your tools inside out.

Keep everything, and revisit later. You'll see your progress.
If after a few years you realize you've reached a plateau, learn some theory, it will open some perspectives.

See also
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=467721&start=15

muzikluke wrote: Do they use the same plugins serum, nexus, spire etc?
Of course. The difference maybe is professionalism and creativity.

What are mainstream artists doing differently
They are skilled.

/thread :P

80% of sounds can be made with 80% plugins in existence. It doesn't matter. In fact in many tunes the actual sound is lost in saturation and reverb - they all eventually sound the same. Especially when it comes to mainstream EDM.

I agree that practice makes perfect. Plugins don't make music, people do.

Oh, and engineers. Proper engineering can turn pretty common composition into huge bomb... or wall of noise, whichever you prefer. I believe sound engineers have much more influence on music scene than artists of any kind.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

muzikluke wrote: Calvin Harris
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FOBxcluXdk

Guess having no taste or shame would be a good start on your way to be like mr Harris :lol:

They posses particular taste and know how to pack the thing so audience relate to it, things not everyone got or can buy. (one can hire a guy for it tho)
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

They don't hang up at KVR and other forums arguing with random dudes about what plugins should the pros use and just make music instead.

This is surely why I didn't became a new psytrance icon but became a KVR 2k poster instead

:D
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

They only hang around at KVR when they have some serious writer's block?
I never make mistakes; I just blame others.

muzikluke wrote:What are they really good at?
being freemasons, keeping secrets, telling lies :)

hurt a friend :party:

knowing that whatever crap will be sucked up by desperate and clueless fellaheen creates a perspective of confidence dupes can't relate to, because they're used to being the victims in society, not the wolves.
recursive one wrote: This is surely why I didn't became a new psytrance icon but became a KVR 2k poster instead
i recommend this :)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Professionals Always work with other professionals. No famous artist as far as I Heard is expert in every part of a production. Mixing and mastering is often handled by people who are experts in those areas, and it is seldom the artist him/herself that does this kind of work.
To be successful you need to connect with people in the business in order to reach out to your target audience. Few have managed that all on their own.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Zexila wrote:They posses particular taste and know how to pack the thing so audience relate to it, things not everyone got or can buy. (one can hire a guy for it tho)
That would be the "no shame" aspect :wink:

Some of these guys are actually talented, and Diplo (the guy behind Major Lazer and other acts) is very much so and original on top, but many others have simply chosen this type of music as a way to make some money, get to travel and work at parties, which is awesome, I don't blame them for that.

And if it makes other people happy, all the better.

I just personally think that music has a higher spiritual dimension, it's an artform capable of reaching deeper than Mr Harris in our example strives for. In the shallowness of our days, I'd like to see those with talent to aim higher. There's enough throwaway things in our consumer culture, and less and less people expose themselves to something more. It's a shame, really.

.jon wrote:
Zexila wrote:They posses particular taste and know how to pack the thing so audience relate to it, things not everyone got or can buy. (one can hire a guy for it tho)
That would be the "no shame" aspect :wink:
Exactly. :wink:
Some of these guys are actually talented, and Diplo (the guy behind Major Lazer and other acts) is very much so and original on top, but many others have simply chosen this type of music as a way to make some money, get to travel and work at parties, which is awesome, I don't blame them for that.

And if it makes other people happy, all the better.

I just personally think that music has a higher spiritual dimension, it's an artform capable of reaching deeper than Mr Harris in our example strives for. In the shallowness of our days, I'd like to see those with talent to aim higher. There's enough throwaway things in our consumer culture, and less and less people expose themselves to something more. It's a shame, really.
Spot on. :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Marketing.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”