November Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not an expert, but I'll throw out of few ideas about how one might interpret the theme if we did go with a tribute to Buchla...

* Buchla (and West Coast synthesis in general) favored starting with simple waveforms and using wavefolding, FM, etc. to create more complex timbres (additive as opposed to subtractive). Therefore, any ideas around taking simple sounds and building something complex from them?

* Buchla favored using randomization to introduce elements of uncertainty. Therefore, anything that involves uncertainty in modulation or sequencing?

* Buchla favored using non-traditional interfaces. Therefore, any alternate way to trigger synthesizers (i.e. not a keyboard)?

* Finally, I would say that Buchla embodied a spirit of experimentation. So, on the broadest level, anything that pushes boundaries would be a fair tribute?

The first part of this presentation by Tony Rolando of Make Noise is a good overview of the differences between East and West Coast Synthesis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ97tOfU6Io

Thank you, Bluerobot! I think you've made the Buchla theme very accessible to anyone who wants to enter the contest. I like the subthemes of evolving and randomness as it relates to experimentation. So if there are no objections I think for November, a tribute to the spirit of Don Buchla, it is.

And I seem to remember there being something about tape recorders, too. I'll need to look that up.
GLHF! (Gandalf Lives, Hobbits Forever!)

Don't know who Don Buchla is.

From the comments so far, I think that is my loss. I will investigate over the weekend. Sounds like a good theme.

For anyone with access to the Computer Music Vault (i.e. their magware), Aalto CM is a relevant free (well, magware) synth if Buchla ends up being the theme. Mind-bending synth with a well-written manual (for the full version).

skipscada wrote: Or in time-honoured KVR contest fashion, just make a track with no apparent connection to the theme and hope for the best.
:hihi:

Cheers :tu:

remix a homevideo.

Anything you can find on vimeo or dailymotion or yt and the likes or perhaps even on your own old VCR

I haven't had a chance to watch this yet, but it could be helpful for anyone, like me, who is not familiar with Buchla's synthesizers: http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/ ... nthesizer/

Is it really possible to keep the integrity of your brain intact messing around intensively with random arp bleeps ? :party: :dog: :borg: :phones: :ud: :o :hihi:
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Boone777 wrote:Is it really possible to keep the integrity of your brain intact messing around intensively with random arp bleeps ? :party: :dog: :borg: :phones: :ud: :o :hihi:
No. But it can be really enjoyable: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonom ... n_response

:D

Is there a chance we can know what theme entails before the new contest is starting ?

Proposed theme: Experimentation, in honor of Don Buchla

DrApostropheX wrote:
Boone777 wrote:Is it really possible to keep the integrity of your brain intact messing around intensively with random arp bleeps ? :party: :dog: :borg: :phones: :ud: :o :hihi:
No. But it can be really enjoyable: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonom ... n_response

:D
I've been curious about it lately and been watching some of Maria's videos on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6gLlI ... 8VuXDCZ_vg
Not sure yet if it's because ASMR has a real effect on me or is it just her accent that turns me on ! :hyper:
Seriously I did feel some particular sensations browsing through clips.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

DrApostropheX wrote:Proposed theme: Experimentation, in honor of Don Buchla
Are we running with this? I'd just like to know because I haven't entered for a little while and I'd like to get going on a track. I probably still won't finish one, but anyway...

Shangsean wrote:
DrApostropheX wrote:Proposed theme: Experimentation, in honor of Don Buchla
Are we running with this? I'd just like to know because I haven't entered for a little while and I'd like to get going on a track. I probably still won't finish one, but anyway...
I did 3 almost complete other songs for other month's contest and never made it until my very first one this October contest. I kicked myself and at the very last minute decided to let it go with a very quick mix. I always start the month saying I should participate...and then it's the 7th...and then it's the 14th...and finally by the time I do some music instead of reading on plugins and downloading freewares it' already the 20th .... and my song done in a hurry sucks lol ! So it remains in a folder forever !! :roll:

I'm getting started on Experimentation/Buchla. Already bogged down trying to route signals around and use features I haven't used before both in my DAW and my audio interface. Not sure it will lproduce any worthwhile music but I'm definitely learning new ways to use my gear.

Return to “Music Cafe”