You happy with Studio One 3?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

Seriously does anyone find the Midi Editor lacking compared to others?

@Robert: Not sure what you mean but nothing I said was "publicly berating". I only suggested that saying there's no way to change density or put patterns off the grid is technically incorrect, that's all. You can. Is it the best approach? Probably not.

I think the pages are fine, and said so, and only commented on a couple of purely objective things. One (potential) problem with web pages like that is that they tend to slowly become more and more inaccurate over time unless you regularly update them, and that people (being human) can always miss some things.

I didn't notice many objective or technical errors, only a few, so i mentioned two that I did find as examples.

LawrenceF wrote:@Robert: Not sure what you mean but nothing I said was "publicly berating". I only suggested that saying there's no way to change density or put patterns off the grid is technically incorrect, that's all. You can. Is it the best approach? Probably not.

I think the pages are fine, and said so, and only commented on a couple of purely objective things. One (potential) problem with web pages like that is that they tend to slowly become more and more inaccurate over time unless you regularly update them, and that people (being human) can always miss some things.

I didn't notice many objective or technical errors, only a few, so i mentioned two that I did find as examples.
I think you misunderstand. I was saying that I'm ok if you publicly berate me, not that I think you were. It was tongue in cheek and a bit self-depreciating.

I really prefer corrections over silence or 'polite indifference'. If you have anything to say, please do so. I don't care in what form it comes in. That's what I was getting at.

Given how some people act on the forum, I can understand how you maybe thought I was being passive-aggressive. I wasn't.

:tu:
http://admiralbumblebee.com/
Audio Software Reviews, Woodworking, Programming and more...

Oh sorry. :) I tend to walk on eggshells on KVR sometimes. People here can be highly sensitive at times. :hihi:

Yeah, nothing much to correct really but the zoom tool, and the bezier curve exists now, although it's arguably not as well done as it could be. If I notice anything else I'll edit this post.

Thanks Robert.

LawrenceF wrote:Oh sorry. :) I tend to walk on eggshells on KVR sometimes. People here can be highly sensitive at times. :hihi:

Yeah, nothing much to correct really but the zoom tool, and the bezier curve exists now, although it's arguably not as well done as it could be. If I notice anything else I'll edit this post.

Thanks Robert.
I will definitely be correcting the zoom stuff. The new zoom capabilities are a big feature IMO.

I didn't know about bezier curves being added? I can't find anything about it in the manual or google, just feature requests.

Yeah. You'll see (on mouse over) a curve node in the middle of any two automation nodes that aren't horizontal.

It only has the one node for the curve and shape, it's not like FL or whatever where you can curve the curve with additional nodes. It's a pretty basic bezier curve.

LawrenceF wrote:Yeah. You'll see (on mouse over) a curve node in the middle of any two automation nodes that aren't horizontal.

It only has the one node for the curve and shape, it's not like FL or whatever where you can curve the curve with additional nodes. It's a pretty basic bezier curve.

I see. That's not a bezier curve as the interpolated line intersects all nodes.

Bezier curves refer to a specific type of curve drawing that I'm sure you can google. Suffice to say, what S1 has is not it. It appears to just be a cubic spline in S1.

Once again, it doesn't matter that much for most people, but bezier curves are definitely an easier way to create complex curve shapes.

I think it is, technically speaking.

What people who use daws or whatever call a bezier curve, what fits into that definition for them or not, is kinda slang. There are different kinds of bezier curves like there are different kinds of triangles.

I get it though, the slang. What people call that often has "handles".

I suppose it's a Quadratic Bezier Curve ... https://www.spaceroots.org/documents/el ... ode11.html ...but as you say, it doesn't matter.

Is it possible to tweak the settings so the piano roll draws notes on one click instead of two? I always found that annoying a bit.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

I love a mixer workflow\appearance much more in v2 than in 3, but have to get used to. Words are useless here, still use both.
Although there are certainly nice things in the new version, but still some weak points in routing as lack of support for multi-channel effects outputs, in this case bidule\reaper really lifesaving.
In general, I think it is impossible to be happy with only one daw, at moment.

Touch The Universe wrote:Is it possible to tweak the settings so the piano roll draws notes on one click instead of two? I always found that annoying a bit.
Well you can select the paint tool and do it (or hit 3 on the numbers row of your keyboard).

But I usually just hold down Ctrl while clicking and it lets you draw them in without double clicking. Let go of Ctrl and you are back to the select tool. I find it works pretty well.

Brent
My host is better than your host

Yeah, I mostly do that also, hold CTL.

Although, the pencil tool is right there on mouse wheel click. Click the mouse wheel, click the pencil, it's directly under the arrow, draw. When you finish double click the mouse wheel to get the arrow cursor back. Those pencil tools are all the same for drawing midi notes so yes, you can use that one (since it's right there, closest) even though it's technically the sine wave pencil ...

I've been very happy with S1 having switched from cubase a few years ago.
I've only recently gotten around to upgrading to v3, even though I bought the upgrade 6 months ago. Generally pleased so far. I'm not a big fan of the flat look but I guess that's just a personal preference and I think v3 does look good overall.

Only thing that is bugging me is the piano roll's low contrast between black note rows and white note rows. This used to be white and grey, but now its mid-grey and dark grey. Ugh. :dog:

I've fiddled with the global appearance settings which has made the rows a little bit more distinguishable, but its far from ideal as Ive now upset the balance for the rest of the application. I wish there was a setting to increase the contrast on the piano roll. Is there anything I've missed? :?

I am not happy.
The cpu performance in Studio One 3 is so under par, compared to all major daws,
that it really isn't an option to use it.

There's a fellow who runs a blog at http://surfaceproaudio.com and tests various DAWs on the Surface Pro. He found that turning OFF multi-processing made the glitches go away. :shrug:

As he stated, this is "less than ideal," and he was testing on 3.2, so I don't know if 3.3 changed anything.

Here is his video, and it should start at the Studio One test. If it doesn't, skip ahead to 20:43.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCC7FBd ... .be&t=1243

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”