iLok 3rd generation- all metal design- anyone have one yet?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I didn't see any threads on this, though if I missed one, feel free to slap me on the wrist and point me there. But I just saw that the 3rd generation iLok key has been released and it is FINALLY made of metal. I've never had one break out of the three or four I have had, but still, the metal is more than welcome. And the size is smaller, which is good IMO.

Anyone have one yet? I'm sure there aren't many or won't be until some devs (Slate, perhaps?) start requiring them. I may end up getting one just for the security, even though I've never broken one.

https://www.ilok.com/#!ilok-intro

Brent
My host is better than your host

Nice but I'll miss the blue glow

aMUSEd wrote:Nice but I'll miss the blue glow
I like the blue glow as well, but I hate the design of the 2nd generation models. They are some of the harder USB sticks to pull out, IMO. It looks like the new model might be just as 'slick' and being smaller, could be more difficult to pull out. But we'll see.

I do like glowing lights on my computer peripherals though. RGB lighting on my mouse, case fans with "vegas mode", etc., lol. I guess one less light won't hurt TOO much. Haha!

Brent

Yeah I do like the all metal design and smaller size, very similar to the USB key I use for work documents

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Techn ... B00IRD6PNI

On the other hand $49 is just too expensive

Those motherfuckers! If there are licenses which are only compatible with iLok 3 and I have the same experience I did, switching from OG iLok to iLok2...
Well, my momma always said, "if you can't say anything nice...". Lets just say that I hope that this is just a cosmetic update. :-x

justin3am wrote:Those motherfuckers! If there are licenses which are only compatible with iLok 3 and I have the same experience I did, switching from OG iLok to iLok2...
Well, my momma always said, "if you can't say anything nice...". Lets just say that I hope that this is just a cosmetic update. :-x
I agree. I mean, IF there were indeed real-world benefits to the iLok2, fine. I know some devs required it, like Slate. I just hope they leave it alone this time. Not that I can't just transfer all my stuff to the new one, but still. A little annoying. Enough to make me not use iLok? Of course not. But enough to gripe about? You bet!

Brent

aMUSEd wrote:
On the other hand $49 is just too expensive
At first I thought so too. I thought the iLok was in the $25 range, but I may have gotten it confused with eLicensor? One of them was 25 and one was 50.

But I think the price is fine if the 2nd generation was indeed the same price. It has been a while since I purchased my iLok2 (right after it was released, I think).

It IS a little much to just purchase for no real reason. But the metal is a big draw.....

Brent

I don't think there are any differences software-wise from 2 -> 3. It appears to be a cosmetic change. If so, then it might be the right time (soon) to pick up an ilok 2 for cheapish. I always thought 50 USD was too much for a usb dongle.

VitaminD wrote:I don't think there are any differences software-wise from 2 -> 3. It appears to be a cosmetic change.
If that is the case then I will withdraw my "motherfuckers" statement. I'd love a more durable iLok but I had some real issues during the transition between iLok 1 and 2. I just don't want to go through that again. As a person who uses a lot of different computers, iLok has generally made things a lot easier for me. Except for when it hasn't. :hihi:

iLok the Turd Generation
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

justin3am wrote:
VitaminD wrote:I don't think there are any differences software-wise from 2 -> 3. It appears to be a cosmetic change.
If that is the case then I will withdraw my "motherfuckers" statement. I'd love a more durable iLok but I had some real issues during the transition between iLok 1 and 2. I just don't want to go through that again. As a person who uses a lot of different computers, iLok has generally made things a lot easier for me. Except for when it hasn't. :hihi:
Me too, I have a use case for a second iLok, owing to the generosity of some vendors of giving multiple authorizations as well as a dumb mistake on my part, and this will be perfect for the task.

Here is my view on it:

iLok1 to iLok2 (Gen2) was initially theorized as "might only be cosmetic" as well. Turned out that the hardware key was completely different, and with the introduction of the new License Manager (which ultimately lead to the infamous "iLokalypse"), security ramped up drastically (new "master key")

My thought is, that "Generation 3" is the answer to the hacks earlier this year, along with still happening server hiccups and some users reporting super slow load times with certain iLok bound tools that creep up more and more.

Let's just ignore the build quality and shape of the key itself - which actually pretty sturdy (people seem to forget the "iLok abuse tests" by Bombfactory)... *roll the clip, Steve!*
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... sBe7O4f_wf

Or summed up:
- iLok Gen3 could actually mean iLok3 (new "master key")
- iLok Gen3 might be faster than iLok2
- iLok Gen3 (another possible switch to the new "master key" engine) might be rolling out by the turn of the year (which could be the reason why various devs recently said "iLok/USB not needed anymore" - to prevent downtime/frustration)
- license wise, I also seem to remember that iLok2 already said "over 800 licenses" (something I did not reach so far - I'm still below 30!), so it's what... 200-400 licenses more?

Overall - I don't care much.
But I still have a couple of issues with Pace/Ilok regardless...

First, about the ZDT and License Handling (this could see drastic improvements)
1) there is only the US office for ZDT. There should be one in Europe and Central Asia as well (faster/cheaper turnaround)
2) ZDT should be longer than 1 year (read: until the darn thing actually breaks - which never happened to me)

License Transfer:
3) License Transfer of 50USD/plugin (from user to user) is not a fair deal - because the developer doesn't see anything of that anyway

Then availability:
4) the iLok Gen3 is really expensive with 50USD
5) so far it's only available directly via Pace/iLok in the US - meaning, shipping extra, and having to deal with the customs bureau as well (so... 15USD UPS shipping bar minimum, meaning 65USD/60EUR that the customs will take as starting point - add to that 19% VAT and 6% handling fees - aka 25% VAT on top = 81,25EUR! :dog:)

Other than that, everything is stable and mostly(!) bug free on my end. I see a reason for an overhaul of the stick, to finally work against the constant complaints (dare I say "whining") from the Laptop users (sorry - still no "mini thumb" version). But aside from the one or another hiccup (that not everyone experienced - mind you) and the one-time iLok2 cracks/warez releases earlier this year - things were fine.

IMO and all that - YMMV, definitely!

Aloysius wrote:iLok the Turd Generation
Oooooh! So - "close encounters of the TURD kind..."

Glad I'm not using anything from the Etch-A-Sketch generation. :hihi:
Last edited by Compyfox on Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

VitaminD wrote:I don't think there are any differences software-wise from 2 -> 3. It appears to be a cosmetic change. If so, then it might be the right time (soon) to pick up an ilok 2 for cheapish. I always thought 50 USD was too much for a usb dongle.
You may be right about that. Sweetwater has a "price drop" on the iLok2, but it is still like $40, which is only $5 less than their price for the iLok3. So maybe we'll see bigger discounts or second hand sales. All my extra iLoks are 1st generation, and I have some licenses that only work on the iLok2. So I would like to have a newer backup in case one of my older cases cracks (which unlike eLicensor, I've never had an iLok crack, except the lid on the iLok2, which is junk).

Brent

Compyfox wrote: Or summed up:
- iLok Gen3 could actually mean iLok3 (new "master key")
- iLok Gen3 might be faster than iLok2
- iLok Gen3 (another possible switch to the new "master key" engine) might be rolling out by the turn of the year (which could be the reason why various devs recently said "iLok/USB not needed anymore" - to prevent downtime/frustration)
- license wise, I also seem to remember that iLok2 already said "over 800 licenses" (something I did not reach so far - I'm still below 30!), so it's what... 200-400 licenses more?
The iLok home page says it IS faster indeed, and holds 3x as many licenses as the iLok2. So that is significant, though very few will reach that.
License Transfer:
3) License Transfer of 50USD/plugin (from user to user) is not a fair deal - because the developer doesn't see anything of that anyway
Agreed. eLicensor makes this much easier than Pace does.
Then availability:
4) the iLok Gen3 is really expensive with 50USD
5) so far it's only available directly via Pace/iLok in the US - meaning, shipping extra, and having to deal with the customs bureau as well (so... 15USD UPS shipping bar minimum, meaning 65USD/60EUR that the customs will take as starting point - add to that 19% VAT and 6% handling fees - aka 25% VAT on top = 81,25EUR! :dog:)
I believe the price is the same as the iLok2 was?

Also, I see that Sweetwater already has the iLok3, so I imagine others like Thomann will definitely get it sooner than later. It seems to be REALLY new, so maybe the overseas stock just hasn't arrived yet?

Brent

doovde
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”