New MacBook Pro

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looks nice, but... no USB?

chk071 wrote:Looks nice, but... no USB?
It does seem a strange move that by apple, they will most likely sell us an adapter like the iPad Pro got for charging and USB for £40 or equivilant. Not to mention the £40 hdmi adapter they will sell us also.
They love to appear to be at the forefront of industry, and in many ways I guess they are. There innovation has to be admired.
It's a lovely looking laptop, but my Iphone and the other one, they already sold me. and the two iPad minis I have here, oh! and the iPad Pro, that doesn't have any pro apps yet, they already Sold me, could probs do allot of that touch bar shit for an older MacBook I guess. not as sleek tho as this new setup. The iPad Pro will smoke this for general internet browsing and payments anyways I guess.

I'm not really ready for 4 thunderbolt 3 ports tho. The MagSafe charger was amazing and its dropped, like these laptops will be, off of tables etc, better get dat apple care paid lol.
Watching bits of this keynote reminded me why I'm slowly moving back to hardware. the price of these is crazy for someone like myself. £2350 for a intro 15" laptop, apple have officially priced me out the market and I guess I'm done. It will be the hackintosh gracing my studio, the next iMacs will go the same way.
Realistically the entire line should at least be rocking i7's at them prices. I'm not having a go I really do like apple stuff, just can't justify it no more. Now I'm off to sell the iPads and iPhones I guess and build a really powerful hack or buy an octatrack with the money lol.
They are great looking laptops though I have to admit. If I was minted I would buy one.

Looks neat, same boat for me having only ever bought 1 (new) pre-made
computer in my life back in 1995.

The mechanical inclination thing is not without its drawbacks.

Yeah, definitely looks very nice. So does the Surface Book though. No USB is quite a bummer though, unless you only use Apple products, and have Thunderbolt devices already, and, i guess, that's about the whole deal, once again. The touch bar looks like a nice addition, even though a bit toyish, considering you probably use the touchpad/keyboard combination for most tasks anyway, and always have to switch to the touch bar operation then. But then, i guess you will have to use it to be able to judge whether it is a nice addition or not.

I thought the new thunderbolt WAS Usb-C?

I didn't know that TBH, but you're right. I don't have any devices with a USB-C connector though.

masterhiggins wrote:I thought the new thunderbolt WAS Usb-C?
nope, but TB3 can function as USB3.1 (usb-c) - as well as displayport and pcie

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/blog/ ... oes-it-all

personally I think having nothing but tb3 ports is a good move - more options than having 2 tb and 2 usb3 ports on the old one, only downside is one gets tied up when on charge.

Hopefully we'll seem some nice tb3 docking units to go with it - the few tb ones for the model were all pretty dismal (not enough usb3 ports and no embedded dp-MST hubs)

At least they kept the bloody headphone jack!

I do like the multi-touch bar, if it is pressure sensitive it'd make a great ribbon controller like on CS-80!

Completely underwhelmed.

It looks like the top spec model is broadly similar spec to my 2014 model (incremental improvements in speed) but considerably more expensive.

The loss of normal USB ports is just ridiculous Apple heavy handed nonsense and the SD card slot is gone too (I use that all the time).

The touch bar is potentially useful, but not at the cost of the normal F keys that I've been using and have gotten used to over the last 20 years.

Great, £2.5k for a new machine and I'd have to spend another couple of hundred on fvcking adapters and extra cables. Fvck you Apple, and goodbye.

Yay! A £400 increase in pricepoint per model!
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

On the plus side, this should keep the market for older MBPs with all the useful ports healthy for a while.
Image Image Image Image

No 4k screen? Apple needs to cut down on the crack.
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

sprnva wrote:On the plus side, this should keep the market for older MBPs with all the useful ports healthy for a while.
Yup :party:

whyterabbyt wrote:Yay! A £400 increase in pricepoint per model!
Yeah... that's a bit crazy. But I must say I got quite happy to hear about the new touch strip. The function keys are probably the least used keys on my constantly coffee stained keyboard - so good riddance! I'll be waiting for how they handle that with the next iMac release. Maybe by then more developers have jumped on the train.

Cool idea. 400 EUR cool idea? Ouch.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”