iLok 3rd generation- all metal design- anyone have one yet?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

robotmonkey wrote:
hivkorn wrote:
robotmonkey wrote:
hivkorn wrote:i don't understand why they release a V3 now , the V2 is still not cracked...
That was sarcasm, right? :scared:
No , ilok 2 has been cracked ? :o
Have you been living in a jungle without computers and electricity or something for the past year? :hihi:
i use to paid all my plugin and don't care about cracked vst it is why i don't know ilok has been cracked.
I hope the dev will not use ilok 3 now , because i don't want to need the new ilok for the software i already use ATM. Thx for the info , this is (for me) a really surprising new!!

EDIT : from search on google :
Whether XXXXXXXX’s crack represents a permanent defeat of the iLok system remains to be seen but currently pirates are celebrating a flood of software just in time for the festive season.

“Oh boy! Awesome fuckin release!” declared one. “I stopped believing in Santa a long time ago but I may just have to re-evaluate that assessment.”

The reverse could very well be the case in the PACE household this Christmas.
Okay it is cracked , but i'm sure the people who use cracked software don't appreciate it as I do , especialy softube modular

I thought it was only soft iLok that had been cracked? Didn't look into it in too much detail though.
Image Image Image Image

TBH, i have no idea, and i don't care either. No problems here with iLok.

chk071 wrote:TBH, i have no idea, and i don't care either. No problems here with iLok.
I'm sure you will care when forced to buy a new dongle. :hihi:
No signature here!

sprnva wrote:I thought it was only soft iLok that had been cracked? Didn't look into it in too much detail though.
Nothing to do with soft or dongle based iLok as some of the stuff has never been released with soft iLok.
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote:
chk071 wrote:TBH, i have no idea, and i don't care either. No problems here with iLok.
I'm sure you will care when forced to buy a new dongle. :hihi:
So far, i have no software which requires a physical iLok. :) And the software protection is as invisible as it could be IMO.

robotmonkey wrote:
hivkorn wrote:
robotmonkey wrote:
hivkorn wrote:i don't understand why they release a V3 now , the V2 is still not cracked...
That was sarcasm, right? :scared:
No , ilok 2 has been cracked ? :o
Have you been living in a jungle without computers and electricity or something for the past year? :hihi:
Since I buy anyway all my plugins, I didn't care to look for warez at all. So I also thought that iLok2 was not yet cracked... now just googled it... seems like e.g. SoundToys v5 is available for "free" download :o

Maybe that's one of the reasons to go for iLok3. And another reason is def to earn money :party:
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

stardustmedia wrote:
Maybe that's one of the reasons to go for iLok3. And another reason is def to earn money :party:
Pretty sure that this is the reason as almost every iLok using plugin has seen it's protection circumvented since the end of last year.

And even though the press release said that there won't be need to get iLok3 key immediately there was a caveat that some new plugins might require new version of iLok3 key.

I doubt they released the new key only to counter the criticism that iLok key build quality has always been complete sh1t.
No signature here!

I will upgrade to iLok3, but only if I can easily transfer ALL existing licenses for FREE. I'm willing to pay for the the dongle, but not again for the licenses and the transfer has to be seamless and painFREE :D

stardustmedia wrote:I will upgrade to iLok3, but only if I can easily transfer ALL existing licenses for FREE. I'm willing to pay for the the dongle, but not again for the licenses and the transfer has to be seamless and painFREE :D
Why wouldn't you be able to? You have always been able to move ilok licenses between dongles without cost or permission.

Brent
My host is better than your host

koolkeys wrote:
stardustmedia wrote:I will upgrade to iLok3, but only if I can easily transfer ALL existing licenses for FREE. I'm willing to pay for the the dongle, but not again for the licenses and the transfer has to be seamless and painFREE :D
Why wouldn't you be able to? You have always been able to move ilok licenses between dongles without cost or permission.

Brent
I thought there were some licenses v1 NOT compatible with v2... Am I wrong? If yes... great!

Okay, a couple of things to clear here:

1) TL;DR: iLok2 was cracked/compromised once, and that was December 2015 - it didn't matter if it was iLok/HDD or iLok/USB

Long version: "The 'breach' of iLok2" was a one-time-only thing as far as I understood it through the grapevine (Google, etc). The people that did this, wanted to prove a point that it "is possible", and they did so in December 2015 (basically, if I got that right, they "removed" all iLok routines - which proved to be more difficult than iLok1 ever was). Affected were SoundToys and Slate Digital especially. However, Pace/iLok was rolling out updates during that time anyway. And in case of Slate Digital, half of the plugins got maintenance updates as well. Endresult: the warez users did only have some short fun. Since then, you constantly see posts popping up with requests of more modern tools/modules. Things like Scuffham S-Gear (wasn't cracked) and Softube, that both use the iLok2, were barely touched after that either.

2) moving licenses from iLok1 to iLok2, or from iLok/USB to iLok/USB, iLok/HDD to iLok/USB doesn't cost you a dime as long it's within your own account. I assume no fees will be involved while moving from "Gen2" (iLok2) to "Gen3".

Moving licenses from your account to another, does cost you 50USD as license transfer fee however

3) I'm not aware of any licenses that only work on v1 sticks - I could move my licenses and they worked. If there is an incompatibility, it's in the tool you use, not the "key" system.

4)
stardustmedia wrote:Smaller is good, but it could be still much smaller. Why not like this?

Had been asked since day 1, and I can't give you an answer as to why. But I take it the "key" uses an extra chip with a hardcoded string in it, that is solely for the "security part" (I didn't open one up, neither am I skilled in this area - I'm just assuming). We don't know how big the Gen3 stick is compared to Gen2, but if it's 1cm shorter, this is already a start (and would make it to similar size as the Syncrosoft Elicenser - only with better casing)

People will always complain "why do I need an USB port? I'm a Laptop user!" (main argument on Sonic State so far), "Why is this so large?!"... and even if it would be a so called "thumb stick" as pictured in this photo, people would still despise it with commentary like "why do I have to jump hoops?! Am I not a legit customer? <insert further arguments why this type of CP sucks here - including the infamous car keys comparison>".

5) Sonic State now confirms that this is the "iLok3"
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2016/10/ ... re_stories

No further info if this will mean a "forced switch to iLok3" in the near future or not.

Though one slightly funny part. I quote:
"Since its release 16 years ago, the iLok hardware device has never been compromised" - technically, that is correct. Since the driver/manager was always "written out" of the equation.

6) Availability in Germany:
Just contacted Thomann - according to the phone call, it's ordered for storage and will be available from 8th November (for >50EUR)
Contacted Just Music - they have no info yet
Last edited by Compyfox on Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I wished i could use a random USB stick for the protection. :)

You can for Waves and Plugin Alliance - and look how "secure" that engine is
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Yeah, i guess everything comes with a price. Actually, i wouldn't even mind that much, but 30-50 € just for the dongle? Meh... even the eLicenser is too expensive for 20 € at Thomann. 10 € would be fine, anything above that is a bit greedy. I know they don't manufacture those in the millions like companies which manufacture USB sticks, but, then, it's already a hassle to have to plug an additional USB port, then it should be a bit cheaper.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”