Arturia synth development.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote:
.jon wrote:I understand that people here are now going through an obsessive phase where the accuracy of a filter resonance hump emulation @ 200Hz seems like really important, but such details have no connection with music whatsoever.
It contributes to the warm fuzzy feeling of the Moog sound. It is key to the Moog sound, more so than Zero Delay Feedback (which Arturia's marketing department in yet another facepalm moment calls "Zero Delay Filters" on the same page :dog:). Obviously, Arturia's marketing guys deem it important enough to substantiate their efforts with such bogus pages, the intent of which is to lure the unsuspecting user to think of "compromise" as "revolution". I would be very grateful, as an individual and as a competitor, if they stopped doing that.

As for your other comment, please meet me in my company forum, I'm happy to discuss things there, such as how doing virtual replica helps us to develop novel stuff.
I own Arturia synths, they're ok, I use them sometimes when I'm not needing to push the filter and I want some of the particular features of the modeled synth, some of them are better than others. However, I'm really glad that you're continually pushing the performance of synthesizer models. I will continue to buy your products as long as you keep doing that.

ghettosynth wrote:However, I'm really glad that you're continually pushing the performance of synthesizer models. I will continue to buy your products as long as you keep doing that.
Me too. :tu:
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Urs wrote:Some people experience fatigue from sterile digital sounds and feature overkill. They prefer simple and raw sounding synths.
Exactly! An analog synth has that juicy sound, same as an electric guitar or bass. RePro takes us further in that direction.

izonin wrote:
Urs wrote:Some people experience fatigue from sterile digital sounds and feature overkill. They prefer simple and raw sounding synths.
Exactly! An analog synth has that juicy sound, same as an electric guitar or bass. RePro takes us further in that direction.
RePro is going to blow pretty much everything away from what I've heard so far. It will take things to a whole new level.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote:
izonin wrote:
RePro is going to blow pretty much everything away from what I've heard so far. It will take things to a whole new level.
Or just about back to the level they were at in the 1970's :wink:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote:
Robmobius wrote:
izonin wrote:
Or just about back to the level they were at in the 1970's :wink:
At least it will stay in tune. :wink:

Robmobius wrote:RePro is going to blow pretty much everything away from what I've heard so far. It will take things to a whole new level.
What things exactly to a new level? What does it do in a musical context that hasn't been possible for the past 40 years?

OK, I think I have some facts (meaning: audio) for you to listen. I'm going to prepare the files and upload them. Hopefully, I'll update in a few moments. Beware that some of the files don't intend to be "music" at all. They are mere filter twistings, sweepings, etc., but I also used a frag ment of the Axel F bass just for people not being to tortured. There will be no Legend recordings since I don't own Legend (don't know if there is a trial, but if there is, I may update later with sounds from it). Now, wait a little...
EDIT 2: And here are the tests. The three synths are just identified by letters (A, B, C) to avoid biased listenings. They sound quite different, e3specially in extreme resonances, but none of them sounded "crap" to me, especially in a regular use. :shrug:

Axel F Bass regular A
Axel F Bass regular B
Axel F Bass regular C

Axel F Bass Cutoff 0 A
Axel F Bass Cutoff 0 B
Axel F Bass Cutoff 0 C

Axel F Bass Cut-Res 0.5 A
Axel F Bass Cut-Res 0.5 B
Axel F Bass Cut-Res 0.5 C

Axel F Bass Cut-Res -2.8 A
Axel F Bass Cut-Res -2.8 B
Axel F Bass Cut-Res -2.8 C

And now the filter manipulations:
Filter Twist Res 5 A
Filter Twist Res 5 B
Filter Twist Res 5 C

Filter Twist Res 8 A
Filter Twist Res 8 B
Filter Twist Res 8 C

Long Sweep Res 8 A
Long Sweep Res 8 B
Long Sweep Res 8 C
Last edited by fmr on Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Legend actually has an excellent demo, you can test the synth fully with all features enabled for a month.

chk071 wrote:Legend actually has an excellent demo, you can test the synth fully with all features enabled for a month.
I like good demos, I'll have to run it through its paces. I'm not really looking for that overall synth model, per se, but I do like to keep legit synth tech on my radar.

.jon wrote:
Robmobius wrote:RePro is going to blow pretty much everything away from what I've heard so far. It will take things to a whole new level.
What things exactly to a new level? What does it do in a musical context that hasn't been possible for the past 40 years?
Well, the sound for a start... You heard the demo right? It sounds class right out of the box. I don't think anything will compare to it (not in the immediate future at any rate).

Um, well having it in software form will be exceedingly convenient and very cheap (with no tuning issues for Wags).

In a musical context? It depends...
It's really down to the musician to bring somthing new to the table if they want to. There are no rules, so use the RePro layered with the sound of a guided missle, to make somthing new. Who knows? The possibilities are endless.

Any inspiring instument can bring out somting new and vibrant in the right hands.

And maybe people will now have the chance to have such a synth when they'd never have access to the hardware. Just like the SEM V for Wags.

Poeple are still using les pauls and distortion pedals and making new genres so-to-speak.

Also the fact that it's retro does bring somthing new in it's own right. I mean, look at all the 80's synthwave that are now back in vogue. 'So old it's new' as they say.

Asking me about musical context is a bad thing anyway... Becase I tend to dislike most music (modern). Although, I can apreciate the talent that it requires (asuming it needs talent of course). So for me, who likes to mangling bass and industrial with heavy guitars the RePro will be great (plus I have a soft spot for 80's synth stuff).

However, even if it's just a ;retro clone; as you say, it's a damn good one. But does that really matter? A lot of people will buy it and want it, whether it offeres somthing new or not.

Also why should Urs bring out a synth that is whizz bang new and shiny? There's plenty of other companies that do that, so surely everyones taste is catered for. And who knows what U-he have up their sleeve. But as long as RePro comes out I'll be happy. :D

It will be a classic synth in software. I could argue that Arturia have been emulating classics for years. In fact that's all they do... And I've no problem with that at all actually as I like my Retro. :tu:

Robmobius wrote:
.jon wrote:
Also why should Urs bring out a synth that is whizz bang new and shiny? There's plenty of other companies that do that, so surely everyones taste is catered for. And who knows what U-he have up their sleeve. But as long as RePro comes out I'll be happy. :D
Well, there's good reason for that and I'm glad that Urs resisted the temptation to clone things because synths like Diva and Bazille are a lot more flexible than the vintage models that they borrow ideas from. That said, Urs has talked about how people are fetishist (my word) about clones so I can see from a business pov why he's chosen to go that route.

If it pushes the envelope, I will buy it for that reason alone.

Hey fmr, thanks for the audio demos. I've only just briefly played the filter sweepe demos, but, what immediately "ear-catches" is that some of the examples feature some fast decay on the attack stage, while the other demos don't. The demos themselves also are a bit different in terms of modulation, and all that, which makes it difficult to compare. Also, what synths have been used exactly?

chk071 wrote:Hey fmr, thanks for the audio demos. I've only just briefly played the filter sweepe demos, but, what immediately "ear-catches" is that some of the examples feature some fast decay on the attack stage, while the other demos don't. The demos themselves also are a bit different in terms of modulation, and all that, which makes it difficult to compare. Also, what synths have been used exactly?
G-Force Minimonsta, Arturia Mini-V 3 and NI Monark. Regarding the envelopes, I have to say the envelopes of one of them behave quite differently from the others, which requires adjustements for each level of modulation. On the regular patches, I did that a little, but for the sweep twists, I didn't.

Anyway, the filters behave differently too. The point here wasn't showing they sound "equal" (I already knew they didn't). The point was to show that they sounded good, each on its own way.
Fernando (FMR)

I take it every example is another synth? So, no cheating, like some demos feature one synth for 2 examples? :)

Return to “Instruments”