Change a existing Midi easily ? (RapidComposer)

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

Is there a easy way to change a existing midi file in RapidComposer?

--> I have a Midi File. I want other Chords and a different Melodie but as similiar as possible... How can i do that? I import it, and how i can change it?

Greetings

theonlyone

Hello theonlyone,

welcome to this forum! :)

Yes, this is possible. You need to find out which tracks contribute to the harmony, and check those tracks for chord analysis. The chords on the master track will be filled based on these tracks. Then decide which tracks depend on the harmony, you need to check those as 'Convert'. You will need to experiment with the settings, especially at the beginning. You can re-import the MIDI file many times if you are not satisfied with the results. Once the file was imported, you can change the chords, or use other chord progressions.

It is also interesting to leave the melody track as is, that is you do not convert it to 'relative' form. After importing you can harmonize the melody track, which will find new chords for the master track. Since the rest of the tracks are relative, they will use the new chords from harmonization, so everything should sound good.

FYI in a few days, early next week a major update will be available with completely reworked and much smarter MIDI Importing. Among the many new features it will be possible to mark a melody track as 'scale relative', which will make it use scale notes (independent of harmony)

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Hi and welcome,
there is a quick video demonstration might help..
i recorded as an answer for the similar question.
(ps.. also if you upload that midi file i can try to create a video demonstration, when i get time)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FMJc45SEHw

Wow! Thanks man. This was very helpful. Your "Fog in Keys" is a great Piano Song. Did you made this with RapidComposer?

Ok i upload you a Midi File. If you make a Video Demostration, this would be AWESOME!! We also can Skype if you want...

If you show something about the "changing", this would be the most important aspect.
What opportunities are there?

theonlyone
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZkgO57CqFU

RC project
theonlyone120.zip
i hope it helps!

edit..
thanks for the kindly comment
yes its RC creations i just changed only two or tree melody (generator) notes in Repaer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hey!

Wooow! Thank you a lot! This was very usefull. Sorry for my late answer. You´re a genious. Now i understand it.

Thank You!

Theonlyone

Hey its me again,

is there a way to do the same with a whole project file? With multi Instruments from a song?

Theonlyone

theonlyone wrote:Hey its me again,

is there a way to do the same with a whole project file? With multi Instruments from a song?

Theonlyone
Hi,
yes of course you can do with the same way in the video ...
but its depends of the song's material that you want to use.
you can find the way you like, just experimenting via import settings and also different song sections.

Hi Yellukhan your posts are priceless!

Could you please tell me how to aproach simple melody to harmonize it. Analizer says chord is too complex?
i am really lost here? would really appreciate any help.

Hi,
from the video:
"midi file has two tracks
Midi Channel 5 monophonic (probably Bass)
Midi Channel 1 "Harmony"polyphonic, has sustain chords
which is good to analyze properly
finally as you can see harmony track starts in second half
and Bass repeats twice.
so in this case we need only the second half..."

plus..
as you can see i import monophonic track as Absolute form because we want to harmonize it
absolute form means it doesn't change according to chord/scale changes when we harmonize that phrase.

also...
not in the video but if you want to follow that phrase "scale" changes...
just select the "Scale" type from CONVERT column in the Midi Import tab while importing ..or..
after import done, you can do this in the
Phrase inspector /Show object actions tab (wheel icon) /Convert To Relative Form
Mapping: Scale Notes [+Semitones], deselect the Replace Master Tracks Chords and click to Convert To Relative Form.

i hope it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOs1-BU ... e=youtu.be

thanks a lot man, you really are a kind person, i really appreciate it.

I forgot to mention that i recorded just bass track (in fact LO Brass) and started with what you can seen in screen shot and then somehow mangeled around to come with harmony track (which i included in midi file), but main question was how to approach single melody track like this, when RC gives you some weird chord progressions?

i see staing in absoulute form is crucial, that i somehow managed to do, which i learned by the way from some other video you uplouded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWwUtkV9MZ4&t=61s

p.s.: i didn't even know about scale finder in reaper, wonderful! :clap:

thanks again, if i can do anything for you just say!

if you meant the midi channel 5 in the midi file that you upload...
here is the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxK1PP7 ... PH_F24jkEU_

its valid also for your midi file because it contains only (C# F# G# A) so it could be
E Major-C# Minor or A Major-F# Minor...
if you try to import that track only, RC will give you F#minor as base scale (Midi Import Page)
so its good to start...
import it as Absolute form, after import done open phrase inspector and Harmonize it ..
use expected or less expected to get different progressions till you get the result you like...
or after import done harmonize it manually via Chord Palette or with assist of Chord Suggestion.

thanks a lot, much clearer now.

have a nice day!

Return to “MusicDevelopments”