IRDust (prototype convolver)

Official support for: signaldust.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mystran wrote:
G-Sun wrote: Do I get true stereo when using same IR on left and right?
Or do I need L to S and R to S files? And where can I find any?
You need two IR files, with L->LR and R->LR responses, that's really the point of the true stereo mode (each channel is convolved separately into stereo signals, the results are added together).

Using the same IR for both channels works, but it's simply equivalent to using the "mono to stereo" mode, just less efficient in terms of CPU and memory.

As for finding some, I can't really help much with that. Sometimes they come with 2 channels, sometimes they come with 4 channels (typically split to 2 files, which is what IRDust supports).
lesha wrote: Couple of libraries I know of:
Free or donationware: http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-i ... responses/
Likeware: http://www.littledevilstudios.com.au/le ... e-library/

There are also paid ones, but I will let you find them yourself.
Thanks!
I use the M7 ones, but they don't come in L->LR and R->LR
Do I have to manually split the quad-files?

G-Sun wrote: I use the M7 ones, but they don't come in L->LR and R->LR
Right. At some point I thought about making it load 4-channel files directly, but I never got around to figuring out how to correctly order the channels (plus there's a few other things I'd need to change in the plugin to make it work). Maybe I'll add support one day.. but for now, if you only have a 4-channel file I'm afraid you need to separate it manually, I'm afraid.

mystran wrote: Right. At some point I thought about making it load 4-channel files directly, but I never got around to figuring out how to correctly order the channels (plus there's a few other things I'd need to change in the plugin to make it work). Maybe I'll add support one day.. but for now, if you only have a 4-channel file I'm afraid you need to separate it manually, I'm afraid.
Thanks!
It should be like this I believe:

The M7 ones do come in a 'L->LR and R->LR' version.
Download the packs marked 'Wave files' (rather than 'Wave quad channel files')
Then open (say) 'M7 - 1 Halls 01 Large Hall' folder.
You'll see 3 files...M to S, L, and R. The L is a stereo file.The R is a stereo file.
I believe they are meant to be used in the way you want.

goldglob wrote:
The M7 ones do come in a 'L->LR and R->LR' version.
Download the packs marked 'Wave files' (rather than 'Wave quad channel files')
Then open (say) 'M7 - 1 Halls 01 Large Hall' folder.
You'll see 3 files...M to S, L, and R. The L is a stereo file.The R is a stereo file.
I believe they are meant to be used in the way you want.
Oh, thanks!

IRDust seems like a great tool !

Thanks for creating it.

I was directed here from the "Reaper" forum. The Reaper DAW comes with a very versatile IR engine called "ReaVerb" (available also for free independently from Reaper).

ReaVerb can do some nice tricks:
- load multiple IR Files and add those that are enabled
- algorithmic creation of internally usable impulse answers of certain kinds (Filters, Excho, Reverb)
- support for creating your own IR files from real rooms or devices

But it desparately lacks a "true stereo" mode using two stereo or a single quad file.

As all Reaper plugins can be used with up to 64 in/out channels even more appropriate would be a feature to use multiple IR files with appropriate routing.

-Michael (Just providing some ideas...)

mystran wrote:Right. At some point I thought about making it load 4-channel files directly, but I never got around to figuring out how to correctly order the channels (plus there's a few other things I'd need to change in the plugin to make it work). Maybe I'll add support one day.. but for now, if you only have a 4-channel file I'm afraid you need to separate it manually, I'm afraid.
Regarding Quad files It might make sense to implement a menu to select the correct routing ( I understand there are 8 possible options).

Regarding separate stereo files, it theoretically might make sense to allow for even more that just two input channels. (I never saw impulse file distributions that provide more than two sound source positions, but of course those will be available somewhere, supposedly e.g. with Vienna MIR PRO virtual stage.)

Regarding stereo files, it might make sense to allow for multi-channel files. (I never saw impulse file distributions that provide more than two microphone positions, but of course those will be available somewhere.)

-Michael

Well, in general I have no great interest in developing this into the "ultimate" convolution tool, I'd rather keep it simple no-nonsense thing that does the basic stuff with minimal fuzz.

That said.. I just uploaded a bug-fix that should be identical in every way, except it should fix the random (or not so random) crashes (most common observed when loading a project).

While the crash was kinda rare in some hosts (and practically always happened in other hosts) I'd recommend everyone to re-download and update .. just 'cos .. random crashes are not very nice.

Thank you
It's easy if you know how

Maybe there can be an option to disable the hi and low cut filters next?

Use this a lot. Thanks for making it. Sounds fantastic with IR's and is easy to dial in.

I've been using HybridReverb2 up until now, and this is like all my complaints about that fixed. Brilliant piece of work. Makes me want to gather up a bunch more IR files just to see how far I can push it.

Thanks much for making this, mystran!

e-night wrote:I've been using HybridReverb2 up until now, and this is like all my complaints about that fixed. Brilliant piece of work. Makes me want to gather up a bunch more IR files just to see how far I can push it.

Thanks much for making this, mystran!
Yes, HybridReverb2 is getting a bit old now, and BTW, I don't believe it is actually 'true stereo' even though sometimes described as such.
The term 'true stereo' is ambiguous... sure, with HybridReverb2 a stereo input will retain it's image in the output and there's a sort of cross feedback going on, but this is not the 'real' true stereo reverb. When I analyze the Samplicity Bricasti M7 True Stereo IRs (whether the quad versions or the 'two stereo' versions) I see four different samples, but analyzing the HybridReverb2 IRs, the L>L and R>L wavs are identical and the L>R and R>R wavs are identical. You could load four separate (mono) IR's of your own choosing and therefore have the potential for true stereo, but that would be pretty clunky.

is this ded? :cry:

^^^same here. I love the simplicity wo too many options, so this has been my convo goto.

Return to “Signaldust”