Step sequencer modulation & pattern selection

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was exploring the step sequencer today and have come to appreciate its flexibility. I've put the step sequencer at the top of a rack and the classic piano below it. Two questions:

1. I've been unable to get the modulation lanes to work. If I set the #20 controller to filter cutoff in the step sequencer, set values in the lane, and then map the filter cutoff in the classic piano to #20 controller--nothing happens. Manually moving the filter in the piano has the expected effect.

2. Is there a way to change between patterns using a MIDI controller? The "previous" and "next" pattern buttons do not appear to be MIDI targets. Maybe there is another way?

Thank you,
d.vyd

d.vyd wrote:I was exploring the step sequencer today and have come to appreciate its flexibility. I've put the step sequencer at the top of a rack and the classic piano below it. Two questions:

1. I've been unable to get the modulation lanes to work. If I set the #20 controller to filter cutoff in the step sequencer, set values in the lane, and then map the filter cutoff in the classic piano to #20 controller--nothing happens. Manually moving the filter in the piano has the expected effect.
http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/mux/us ... llers.html
2. Is there a way to change between patterns using a MIDI controller? The "previous" and "next" pattern buttons do not appear to be MIDI targets. Maybe there is another way?
http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/mux/mu ... -sequencer

Thank you. From the Doc you linked to:

"Patterns can be selected via MIDI by the lowest notes: Note nr 0 selects pattern 0, note nr 1 selects pattern 1, ... That way you can play patterns on the fly, even multiplex them on the fly, all using the selected sync mode."

I see now that pushing on the lowest key on the virtual MuLab keyboard selects my pattern "A" and pushing the second lowest key selects my pattern "B". Any other key plays the selected pattern. When I already had a sequence recorded (a single long C4), playing the virtual keyboard's two lowest keys switched between the patterns without a glitch in the audio. Great!

I also got the modulation in the step sequencer working. I'm not sure what I was doing incorrectly but now it works.

-d.vyd

I am experimenting with converting patterns created in RapidComposer to Mulab's step sequencer for live tweaking. I've encountered two challenges: (1) my weak grasp on music theory, and (2) my weak grasp on Mulab. For instance, I'm not sure how to estimate note lengths. Is the step sequencer note length in microseconds? If anyone is curious, I've attached a ZIP file with:

1. Snapshot of violin pattern in RapidComposer
2. MIDI file of violin pattern
3. Mulab file with
(a) Rack #1 with step sequencer based on first few notes of violin pattern
(b) Rack #2 with import of full MIDI file
4. Snapshot of Mulab step sequencer with first few notes of violin pattern
5. MP3 file of violin pattern rendered with Bigcat Instrument's free VSCO2 Violin set to "Spiccato".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “MUTOOLS”