making catchy "hooks" with multi-point envelopes

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been very impressed with the economy and musicality of in-the-box MuLab sequences like "lead seq 3". I've tried my hand at making similar patches, occasionally with success--but often not. I'm attaching a recent experiment with three multi-point envelopes. Each has a separately MIDI-mapped global speed parameter. I've always enjoyed industrial music. I find the result vaguely interesting, but not particularly catchy.

Is there a trick to making these sequences exciting? How does one go about making what are commonly called "hooks"? Are people mapping out specific notes and then translating them to multi-point envelopes? Throwing random points on the envelope graph? Tweaking the envelopes while monitoring the sound? Using different sequences for oscillator pitch and filter cut-off frequency?

-d.vyd
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Usually I set the MPE grid in semitones,try using the snap to grid function,it is really helpful to have a good sequence.
I quickly changed your project and made a template,try to experiment:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I'm looking at the modular view now and see you have made many modifications. It sounds far more interesting. Thank you! Now it will take some time to figure out exactly what you did and why.

-d.vyd

Taifunk (and other folks),

I've made another version that has more musical value than my first (if you like distortion)!

I created a front panel so that the speed and influence of each modulation envelope can be easily modified in real-time along along with the distortion settings. There is already a project level MIDI map, which makes sense for how I have arranged my controllers but will not make sense for anyone else.

A few questions:

1. How can a remap the "global speed" knob of the multi-point envelop so that a clockwise turn of a MIDI controller results in a clockwise turn of the speed knob and a faster speed?

2. How can I use a multi-point envelope to control the "destroy" and "LP frequency" knobs of the distortion effect?

Thank you,
-d.vyd

d.vyd wrote:Taifunk (and other folks),

I've made another version that has more musical value than my first (if you like distortion)!
Of course, I love distortion :tu:
A few questions:

1. How can a remap the "global speed" knob of the multi-point envelop so that a clockwise turn of a MIDI controller results in a clockwise turn of the speed knob and a faster speed?

2. How can I use a multi-point envelope to control the "destroy" and "LP frequency" knobs of the distortion effect?

Thank you,
-d.vyd
I modified your project,added a global speed and the mpe for destroy/lp,
check the modular area in the modified patch ,an example helps better than my strange english:)

Thank you Taifunk. I'll have a look. What is your first language?

You're welcome!
Italian:)

Taifunk, I now understand how to use the "constant modulator" and "parameter event generator". Thank you!

Is there a way for modules INSIDE the polysynth to send event or modulation information to modules OUTSIDE the polysynth? I don't see a parameter event generator available to use inside the polysynth...

If you want to write in Italian, I might be able to understand since it has some similarities to Spanish (and I can always use Google Translate).

-david

d.vyd wrote:If you want to write in Italian, I might be able to understand since it has some similarities to Spanish (and I can always use Google Translate).
True:) No problem,English is fine for me,I hope to continue to improve,
Thanks anyway d.vyd :tu:
Is there a way for modules INSIDE the polysynth to send event or modulation information to modules OUTSIDE the polysynth? I don't see a parameter event generator available to use inside the polysynth...
You can use a trick with the audio rate modulation :) but unfortunately no polyphonic modulation
Add a second audio output module in the polysynth,add a modulation to audio converter module and connect the red out to the second audio output.
outside the polisynth add an audio to modulation converter,connect the module to the second output and you have the modulation from the polysynth.
cheeck the screenshot

Hm... each voice of the polysynth will generate (audio frequency) modulation output, which will be mixed down to a single audio stream on leaving, before conversion back to modulation. I guess some fun could be had with phase effects caused by that...

Surely pljones,
however,if you set the polyphony in mono seems work well,obviously I recommend this only for monophonic stuff,
MuProject.zip
Of course, it would be nice to have something like an output for modulation in polysynth:)
but I think it would be a big headache.

Staring at the screenshots, I finally understand how this works. Very creative! Thank you.

-d.vyd

:tu:
If you need ,I have attached also an example in my previous post ,
the link hidden behind>MuProject.zip

Return to “MUTOOLS”