How to Mute all Mic Inputs for Playback?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks. I think I understand the functions of the Scarlett mix control after digging in a bit. I can use that for monitor mix while tracking instead of Tracktion. Now I get it.

Strange, but good news is that now the 'Live Input Monitoring' toggle is working the way I expected and muting the inputs.

I don't know why it didn't seem to work for me before, but I have been having a lot of issues with corruption of things since I started using the external ADAT for inputs. The AI3 only runs at 48k, so I change back and forth between 44.1 sometimes and sometimes it gets mad. I have even blue screened Tracktion a couple of times (that was surprising) but I think it is the DAW not Tracktion.

The feedback and help in this thread has given me to a very workable solution.

Thanks to all!
Sworkshop

"The tide of amateurism cannot but recede, until there will be left only the mechanical device and the professional executant." - John Philip Sousa, 1906

glad to hear things are working for you now! :)

regarding your samplerateswitching:
why do you switch back and forth???
just record everything on both interfaces in 48 khz (you need to do that anyway, if the ai3 only runs at 48khz, as the alesis and the scarlet need to run on one clock to sync correctly), then mix it all in 48khz (it's better anyway) and master to a 32bitfloat/48khz stereofile.

then make your samplerateconversion to 44,1 khz with that file, so you get a 32bit float/44,1 khz masterfile.

from there you can do final limiting (if needed) and bitdepth-reduction to 16bit/44,1 khz (or whatever your destinationformat is).

just my 2 cents regarding that ...

cheers, mathias

I'd love to leave it on 48 all the time but I suppose there are two reasons I don't. Maybe there are not valid. They are:

1) I would always have to have the Alesis AI3 running, since it is named as the source of the clock

2) Still want to be able to play youtube, mps files occassionaly on this machine...don't they freak out if the clock is not 44.1?

This are my reasons, I welcome any challenges that will correct me if I am mistaken. Never used an outside the box clock before (as is probably evident! ) :wink: :wink:
Sworkshop

"The tide of amateurism cannot but recede, until there will be left only the mechanical device and the professional executant." - John Philip Sousa, 1906

1) ah yes, you are right. the ai3 has probably adat out only and has to be masterclock in this case. but when you don't need it, the scarlet can be set to its own internal clock.

2) you can try to run the scarlet at 48 khz all the time and see if you get problems. maybe the windowsdriver will set the samplerate by its own, or it resamples internally (more likely). i suppose you are on windows ( you didn't state that). on mac i have run interfaces for years with 48khz without any problems for mixed purposes.
just do it and see what you get.

Thanks. I could probably try this myself and figure it out, but since we are on the subject of clocks..

What happens if I record something at 44.1 then want to overdub drums through the AI3, which must run at 48?

On playback does the master clock matter, or only when recording?

In the scnenario above would I be out of luck because the various tracks were recorded with different sample rates, or would it just handle each track properly?

Sorry to ask something I could probably test on my own, but I have a feeling most people may know the answer, thought not me.

Thanks again to all
Sworkshop

The Live Input Monitoring is definitely the culprit. It works for me now.

With all your help, this has been resolved.

Thank you very much
Sworkshop

Return to “Tracktion”