KVR Dev Challenge 2016!

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ichad.c wrote:Not competing this year, so I get to critique for once. I'm a delay-freak so I'm happy about some of the toys! Would be nice if all the devs made a thread as per usual here http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=91 Would be easier to navigate and track issues.

Good luck to all!
I've only tested Lagrange and Spaceship (is there more delays?), but both are great. Spaceship would be fairly basic general delay unit, but the innocent-looking spring knob turns it into a this fantastic, dusty VCS-sounding wunderbox. Combine with short delay times and lots of fast modulation! It's a keeper for this BBC radiophonic retro vibe so easily achievable.

Lagrange, very different in scope, hits it out of the park however. Before trying it I was like "a unique granular delay, right, I've heard that one before lol", but this shit is something from behind the Kuiper belt and straight to my favourites folder <3 The feedback tails are interstellar. Try marching rand with high feedback, it goes on for days, but so alive, all the time evolving in the most awesome way. And it's tweakable without glitches, clear, resizable UI with integrated help... only thing missing from perfection is MIDI learn.

brainzistor wrote:
Teksonik wrote:
brainzistor wrote:Zampler is based upon Dune1
No it's not. Dune 1 does not allow .sfz import.......... :wink:
2 funny things:
1. Dune1 is one of my favorite synths, surely in top10
2. I know you from Synapse forums

Let's forget the first thing because you couldn't know that and saying to me that Dune can't import sfz doesn't make any sense, but it's really strange that you are not aware that Zampler is based on Dune1 and that Synapse stripped down Dune1 and kept the essential things to make it to work as a sampler. I'm pretty sure that you have over 1500 posts on Synapse forums and how you managed to skip that information is a bit mind boggling.
Please try to understand the difference between based on Dune 1's code and based on Dune 1 as an instrument. They are two completely different instruments, each can do sounds the other can not. If you are indeed familiar with both instruments how you manage not to understand the difference is a "bit mind boggling". :wink:

Anyway like I said before I don't want people to confuse the two. Zampler is free but I don't want that fact to discourage anyone from buying Dune 1 thinking that is has anything to do with Zampler. Yes they share code but as far as sound and function goes they are completely different. Certainly that should not be mind boggling....... :shrug:

Anyway all that was off topic. Has anyone found a real Gem in this year's Dev Challenge ? :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

There are differences, but they are not completely different.

I dont know why anyone would buy Dune anyway. You have DuneBE and DuneCM for next to nothing.

So far the only thing that is likely to make it on to my studio computer are the luSH101 patches. I'd probably move the 808 plugin if it allowed assigning Midi Notes to configure it to match the midi mapping of my other drum plugins. I still have to try several other entries but so far no home runs yet...... :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

AnX wrote:There are differences, but they are not completely different.
Of course they are if you judge by the end sounds. As you know Dune 1 can't load .sfz files so there is a whole world of sounds it can't make and Zampler doesn't have the Dual Unison Engine and many of the filter models so that means it can't make many of the sounds that DUNE 1 can. As for why anyone would buy Dune 1 it's still for sale in the Synapse shop so.........

Anyway as I said this is all off topic but the point I'm trying to make is Zampler and Dune 1 are two completely different sounding instruments. Don't confuse the two..... :shrug:

I've only tested Lagrange and Spaceship (is there more delays?), but both are great. Spaceship would be fairly basic general delay unit, but the innocent-looking spring knob turns it into a this fantastic, dusty VCS-sounding wunderbox. Combine with short delay times and lots of fast modulation! It's a keeper for this BBC radiophonic retro vibe so easily achievable.
Thanks a lot for your nice review .jon :wink:

That beast is full of tricks in fact :D I love the attack control when I play guitar, it allows me to feed the delay loop only when I attack hard the strings, it's great for playing with a drum loop dub-style.

I use also the combination of long feedback (95%) + long delays (4-6 sec) + Freeze switch to transform the delay into a looper :love:

I'll talk about all that stuff on the tutorial and on the videos I'm making this week end

.jon wrote:
Chris-S wrote:Noizefield Refractor: No sound. Does not work in Reaktor 5 ?
Works in R6.
Good if they could state in the release note which version of Reaktor is needed.

Ivan_C wrote:
Thanks a lot for your nice review .jon :wink:

That beast is full of tricks in fact :D I love the attack control when I play guitar, it allows me to feed the delay loop only when I attack hard the strings, it's great for playing with a drum loop dub-style.

I use also the combination of long feedback (95%) + long delays (4-6 sec) + Freeze switch to transform the delay into a looper :love:

I'll talk about all that stuff on the tutorial and on the videos I'm making this week end
Yeah I forgot to mention the freeze button!

Numanoid wrote:
.jon wrote:
Chris-S wrote:Noizefield Refractor: No sound. Does not work in Reaktor 5 ?
Works in R6.
Good if they could state in the release note which version of Reaktor is needed.
Hmm actually it's a bit broken- it requires starting & stopping playback to get to make sound in R6 as well.

Link to Download HG Microtuner isn't working for me:

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/kontak ... own-sounds

Why the need to state information like phone number to get Dr Doubledrop entry ? :help:

And getting more mails from them straight away, pushing their products:

"Thank you for shopping with us! We hope you love your purchase!
Do you know that we offer you several ways for save money in your purchased?"

Teksonik wrote:So far I'm liking the RVK-808 drum plugin, some nice kits included. I just wish it had assignable outs and more importantly assignable midi notes..... :?

Thanks to everybody who contributed ! :tu:
Thanks mate, I'm pretty limited by the framework (maize) I need to learn how to use another development application!

:) :)

Having read through all the entries, these five are the ones that I think looks most interesting, so will check them out first

SynthANDWare Wave
Full Bucket The Qyooo
Musical Entropy Spaceship Delay
Ursa DSP Lagrange 084 (Granular Delay)
Yooz BL-303

Easy Guitar by Doctor Doubledrop -- shame there's no SFZ mappings.

Clockwise Orange by Colored Black Boxes is Mac-only but source code is available.
Any plans for a PC version?

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”