Avenger vs. Rapid

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Soundplex wrote:Avenger is the winner. Not only because It offers far more (features, content) for a more fair price than Rapid.

-Avenger is not VST only and not win only like Rapid is
-Avengers ui is resizable and reskinnable (I hate the Rapid UI)
-Avengers mod matrix is well thought (having groups for multiple assignments, bypass, ...)
-Avenger offers more features like WT import & MS import
-powerful FX inside Avenger like their EFX Bundles 1 & 2 as well as some from Arts Acoustic
-nice preset browsing, tagging and searching
-total control over waveform editing and bendings (FFT, Harmonics, PWM, FM, RM, ...)
-dedicated drum sequencer
-not limited to 44.1kHz sampling rate
-Rapid sounds bright and harsh in default
-the online presentation and communication was way better with Vengeance (videos, ready to use manual, ...)

There are also things that can be improved easy in an update like the max number of wavetable slices or the voice limit. Avenger can be quiet complex and therefore it takes time demoing all the features.
Of course there are some release problems even after the long beta time which is sad but not for long.

I think a really meaningful test result will be available in a couple of days when the first bugs got fixed and users were spending some time with it.
+1 I think Avenger is a lot better than Rapid in most ways and it is cheaper, much as I hate this sort of comparison (there will be pro's and con's for both) I think Avenger is one of the very best synths of 2016 (on a par with Falcon).
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I haven't used either synth, because they haven't grabbed my imagination. Purely going by the videos, Avenger is slightly ahead. Better looking, I thought the workflow looked intuitive, and the onboard effects seem rather nice. If Rapid had different GUI options I may have given it more of a chance, because I do tend to like characterful synths. Both are out of my synth budget, maybe I'll consider them in future sales, or perhaps they'll join Spire, DUNE and other decent synths as products I just didn't care enough about to try or buy.

It's either the marketing doesn't work on me anymore, or I REALLY don't need more expensive synths. Same conclusion; me not buy.

ATS wrote:Going by the sound of each synth I prefer the sound of Rapid. I have a feeling Avenger will do better with sales and all but I really feel Rapid just sounds better. I am not sure I am even going to buy Avenger now and before I thought for sure I would.

my two cents and I'm staying out of this thread for now on in case it gets ugly.
You think Rapid is better since you own it but don't even have Avenger, only have videos to base your opinion from, how is that a legit review?

audiosabre wrote:I haven't used either synth, because they haven't grabbed my imagination. Purely going by the videos, Avenger is slightly ahead. Better looking, I thought the workflow looked intuitive, and the onboard effects seem rather nice. If Rapid had different GUI options I may have given it more of a chance, because I do tend to like characterful synths. Both are out of my synth budget, maybe I'll consider them in future sales, or perhaps they'll join Spire, DUNE and other decent synths as products I just didn't care enough about to try or buy.

It's either the marketing doesn't work on me anymore, or I REALLY don't need more expensive synths. Same conclusion; me not buy.
I actually thought Avenger was inexpensive given the content and amount of options (£116 + VAT), I would consider Omnisphere and Falcon as perhaps expensive VSTs
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote:
audiosabre wrote:I haven't used either synth, because they haven't grabbed my imagination. Purely going by the videos, Avenger is slightly ahead. Better looking, I thought the workflow looked intuitive, and the onboard effects seem rather nice. If Rapid had different GUI options I may have given it more of a chance, because I do tend to like characterful synths. Both are out of my synth budget, maybe I'll consider them in future sales, or perhaps they'll join Spire, DUNE and other decent synths as products I just didn't care enough about to try or buy.

I actually thought Avenger was inexpensive given the content and amount of options (£116 + VAT), I would consider Omnisphere and Falcon as perhaps expensive VSTs
Falcon costs a lot, but it isn't expensive in my book. The possibilities are almost endless with that one. I think OmniSphere is expensive in terms of possibilities, but not in content. Those 2 are just monster workhorses. And i think they are priced just right. I think Avenger is priced a tad high, just like Rapid. However, they both are high-end vst's.

So it really is up to the buyer. If someone is starting with music, both Rapid and Avenger are great synths to have.

SLiC wrote:I actually thought Avenger was inexpensive given the content and amount of options (£116 + VAT), I would consider Omnisphere and Falcon as perhaps expensive VSTs
£140 isn't too bad, if I was convinced it offered me something new. The more you spend on synths, the more expensive they look, and I've bought my fair share. I'd definitely class Falcon and Omnisphere in a different league of expensive; Über-expensive. They're like hyper-cars; out of most peoples' league, but very desirable.

I was debating whether to get involved in this one but since I own and have worked extensively with both (given the relative short time they've been out) having put out a 250 patch library for Rapid and 125 patches through my upcoming library for Avenger, I think I can give a fairly unbiased review of each that, hopefully, might help those who are undecided.

** Disclaimer ** This is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. Best course of action is to demo each and decide for yourself.

In alphabetical order

Avenger

Essentially a WS synth. It does lots of things. It doesn't really do any one thing off the charts amazingly well. For example. as a WT synth, it doesn't even come close to Serum or Icarus. It's an all around synth that can cover a wide array of genres.

It's base sound is kind of like Falcon's. Clean and without a lot of character. You need to work at making this synth sound good unlike some synths that seem to be naturally "colored" for lack of a better word.

However, because this synth is so versatile, if you take the time to put in the effort, you can do things that can only be done with a handful of synths. The modulation options on this thing are extensive and the FX are excellent.

A big plus, especially with the intro price, is that this thing is dirt cheap considering what it can do. I paid $176 for it. That's $13 less than what I paid for Zebra 2 and that synth can't do half of what this synth can do. Don't get me wrong. I love Zebra 2. It's one of my first synths and libraries. But it simply can't do what this synth can do.

All in all, comparing it price wise to Rapid, it's the better all around value IF you are not looking for a "direct out of the box" juicy, flavorful, rich sound.

Rapid

Easier to get fat, juicy, flavorful sounds out of. In fact, this synth requires almost no work at all to make sound good. It's easy to navigate. The GUI puts some people off, color wise, but I like it.

The synth is very intuitive. Modulations are easy to do. The ARP and SEQ are a little odd in how they work and take some getting used to but once you learn them, you can not only do basic things with them but really cool complex stuff.

The 8 layers are great. You may not need them all. I've used as many as 4. Doing keyboard spits with this thing is very easy.

In trying to compare the filters of this to Avenger, honestly, neither blow me away. You want to hear amazing filters? Go get Korg's crappy MS-20. Now THOSE are filters. However, Rapid's filters are good enough as are Avengers.

Rapid's envelopes are good and I don't really see a lot of difference between them and Avenger's but I'm not super picky on envelopes unless it's plucked sounds. Both synths do these fine.

My biggest beef and biggest difference between Rapid and Avenger is price. Avenger is actually cheaper and does more, including sample import which Rapid doesn't do at all...yet. Once that is added, the gap narrows.

Some Last Words

If you're looking for your typical EDM machine with stereotypical sound, I'd say go with Rapid. If you are looking for something that has more flexibility, even if the sound is a more clean and sterile, go with Avenger.

I bought them both simply because I have a business to run and I make libraries for popular synths. Except I'm calling this now. Whatever my business may be, as far as volume of sales, Rapid is one of my worst selling libraries, all things being equal as far as my design skills go. I expect Avenger to be one of my better selling libraries. I think Parawave screwed up by pricing this thing as high as they did. And then when Avenger came out with a cheaper and more versatile synth, those who could only afford one or the other, probably went with Avenger on the whole more often.

As neither synth is completed as far as how much more will be put into them, future developments could prove to be very interesting.

As to my personal favorite between the two?

I'd have to go with Avenger because of sample import.

Excellent comparison Wagtunes. Cheers.
"If less is more, just think of how much more, more will be".

Great words wag. Spot on! Although my fav is Rapid of the two. Purely because of the sound and workflow.

i bought icarus on sale for $100 and i like it more than avenger and rapid on comparison to wt synths.
For me Rapid sounds betther than avenger and i get bether sounds out of. My style is more techhouse, minimal, electro so I prefer repro and the legend over them all-
But if I had to decide between these 2 i would wait till rapid gets normal priced and allows sample / wavetable import.
Also the rapid demo is very limited, one more reason not to buy yet, but it sounds cooler and with the lfos you can get quicker results.
I think rapid could be a future option and from avenger i am a bit disapointed, by the marketing hype i was close to buy without to demo, but i am happy that i tried the demo and on sound comparison to icarus, serum and spire I think i don't need one more. Skipping through the 900 presets i also had no wow effect.

exmatproton wrote:Great words wag. Spot on! Although my fav is Rapid of the two. Purely because of the sound and workflow.
The workflow, I agree, is a snap. I picked the whole thing up in less than half an hour. The sound, for off the rack no muss no fuss EDM goodness, is excellent. If I was doing nothing but EDM, Rapid would be my first choice. It wouldn't be my first choice as an all around do everything instrument. For that matter, either would Avenger, but if I need to cover more genres and do more things, Avenger would be my first choice.

Fortunately, I didn't have to choose and just got both.

wagtunes wrote:
exmatproton wrote:Great words wag. Spot on! Although my fav is Rapid of the two. Purely because of the sound and workflow.
The workflow, I agree, is a snap. I picked the whole thing up in less than half an hour. The sound, for off the rack no muss no fuss EDM goodness, is excellent. If I was doing nothing but EDM, Rapid would be my first choice. It wouldn't be my first choice as an all around do everything instrument. For that matter, either would Avenger, but if I need to cover more genres and do more things, Avenger would be my first choice.

Fortunately, I didn't have to choose and just got both.
Same here. Got both (luckily) and i can use them both for different stuff in my music (mainly abstract electronic music/idm).

Avenger seems to be a sound design factory, aimed at people who have deep understanding of synthesis and know what they want to do and how it can be done.

Rapid is for those who like do design sounds like that "this wavetable has a cool name let's pick it, and this knob - i have no idea what it is supposed to do but let's turn it all the way right". Like me. I love Rapid. Basically it sounds good at most reasonable settings.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:Avenger seems to be a sound design factory, aimed at people who have deep understanding of synthesis and know what they want to do and how it can be done.

Rapid is for those who like do design sounds like that "this wavetable has a cool name let's pick it, and this knob - i have no idea what it is supposed to do but let's turn it all the way right". Like me. I love Rapid. Basically it sounds good at most reasonable settings.
Simplistic but pretty accurate. Rapid is like taking two flavors of ice cream that normally go together anyway and putting them together with some whip cream to make a great sundae. Avenger is like getting the mixing bowl out of the cabinet along with a crap ton of ingredients and baking a cake, pie, or whatever.

Essentially, I think you need to be more comfortable with synthesis to get more out of Avenger.

I don't think you made Avenger's GUI big enough. Could you make it a little bigger? I don't think my neighbors can see it very clearly through my bedroom window.

Return to “Instruments”