One Synth Challenge #93: OBXD by DiscoDSP & 2DaT (mmGhost Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

wagtunes wrote:Bite me!
* munch * :)

This is why I follow these threads. Pretty funny.

Wag, people have tried to help and encourage you. Maybe those Wikipedia links are at least worth a glance over.

Peace.

bh9090 wrote:This is why I follow these threads. Pretty funny.

Wag, people have tried to help and encourage you. Maybe those Wikipedia links are at least worth a glance over.

Peace.
Thanks, but I know the definitions by heart.

Just wanted to point out that it would be sooo much better (and easier for you and everyone else) if you just concentrated on the material instead of keeping up the drama and mind games ;). It seemed like you were already moving past that, but there it is again. No need for all that, seriously.

Guenon wrote:Just wanted to point out that it would be sooo much better (and easier for you and everyone else) if you just concentrated on the material instead of keeping up the drama and mind games ;). It seemed like you were already moving past that, but there it is again. No need for all that, seriously.
Don't like it? There's an ignore feature here.

wagtunes wrote:Don't like it? There's an ignore feature here.
It's primarily about your own benefit, and only secondarily about the comfort of not being exposed to the posts your mindset tends to generate.

At the very least, i would say that the imagination of people voting only based on what they consider as "good work" is a bit illusionary. Of course, many people will vote on preferred genre. If there were, for instance, 4 EDM tracks out of 48, then those would be voted pretty much bottom of the list. Actually, i wouldn't be able to judge that too. How would i be able to judge how well a prog rock track is made, when i literally have no idea about, or favor, the music? I have faith in people judging here as good as they can, and that most have quite a wide spectrum of different genres they listen to, but, frankly, the bashing EDM or hip hop gets on this forum (often not undeservedly, admittedly) pretty much shows that it's also about popularity of the genre.

And to translate it to what you said wags, no offense towards you, but, i can't do much with the music you are making either. That doesn't mean your music is bad, or you're not able to tailor it, it simply means, that i can't do much with it, personally. :) It's probably the same when you'd hear the music i'm trying to make. And because of that, i can't do much with the sounds in your music either. But then, i hardly wouldn't be able to make the classic stuff you did either, so, it isn't really about lack of skills or anything. I'd rather think that there is not a big audience for that kind of thing, and that reflects in the results of the OSC's. I wouldn't let that demotivate me though, i think it's just that it's kind of niche.

chk071 wrote:At the very least, i would say that the imagination of people voting only based on what they consider as "good work" is a bit illusionary. Of course, many people will vote on preferred genre. If there were, for instance, 4 EDM tracks out of 48, then those would be voted pretty much bottom of the list. Actually, i wouldn't be able to judge that too. How would i be able to judge how well a prog rock track is made, when i literally have no idea about, or favor, the music? I have faith in people judging here as good as they can, and that most have quite a wide spectrum of different genres they listen to, but, frankly, the bashing EDM or hip hop gets on this forum (often not undeservedly, admittedly) pretty much shows that it's also about popularity of the genre.

And to translate it to what you said wags, no offense towards you, but, i can't do much with the music you are making either. That doesn't mean your music is bad, or you're not able to tailor it, it simply means, that i can't do much with it, personally. :) It's probably the same when you'd hear the music i'm trying to make. And because of that, i can't do much with the sounds in your music either. But then, i hardly wouldn't be able to make the classic stuff you did either, so, it isn't really about lack of skills or anything. I'd rather think that there is not a big audience for that kind of thing, and that reflects in the results of the OSC's. I wouldn't let that demotivate me though, i think it's just that it's kind of niche.
Which would then again prove my point that it wouldn't matter how good the "quality" of what I did was. If it doesn't fit into the "mold" of what people like, it's not going to do well no matter how well made it is. Add to that the fact that there are people here who absolutely wish I would vanish from this place and there is no way I do well at these things. But I worked my butt off this month to prove a point and I will prove that point. Mark my words. I won't finish any better than I normally do. So, point being, it wouldn't matter if I put in 2 hours into a track or 102 hours into a track. The results, as far as the voting goes, will be the same.

Aaaand done voting!
Quite the variety this time again - should've returned to OSC a few months earlier, I can't imagine what I've missed out on in the meantime.

Good luck to everyone, 'twas loads of fun making music, listening to all your tracks. :)

wagtunes wrote:Which would then again prove my point that it wouldn't matter how good the "quality" of what I did was. If it doesn't fit into the "mold" of what people like, it's not going to do well no matter how well made it is. Add to that the fact that there are people here who absolutely wish I would vanish from this place and there is no way I do well at these things. But I worked my butt off this month to prove a point and I will prove that point. Mark my words. I won't finish any better than I normally do. So, point being, it wouldn't matter if I put in 2 hours into a track or 102 hours into a track. The results, as far as the voting goes, will be the same.
You say you put a lot of time into a track this month to prove a point. Just this once. There's just so much wrong with all of this :lol: it's silly.

(Side note: you have finished 15. one time, not always at the bottom.)

There are people here who have put hours upon hours into their tracks, for years. And they have actually gotten good at it. Now, when you put hours upon hours into one single track, one single time, you "prove" nothing. It's just that one track.

You have said, last year: "I don't traditionally spend countless hours on anything. I don't have that kind of patience. If I was doing this for a living, maybe, but I can't see spending 100 hours on a track that is essentially just for a "fun" competition." "This is supposed to be fun, and to that end I give it the attention that it deserves to make it fun and not turn it into a job."

Consider this. If you actually spend considerable time on something, you will master it, in time. If you don't generally put in the time, you don't magically get master level results if you do it one time, one month. You WILL get better results, as you already have nice skills to put to use that month, and you just give it the time it really deserves. But you are... not... going to suddenly push out something extraordinary if the above has been your general take on things.

When voting, there's a scale from 1 to 5 here. If someone gives an okayish track a 4 or 5 (not talking about any specific track here), what do the most skillful and masterful tracks get, then?

But sheesh. This is just so silly. I understand why people generally don't take the bait any longer :D hah.

Guenon wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Which would then again prove my point that it wouldn't matter how good the "quality" of what I did was. If it doesn't fit into the "mold" of what people like, it's not going to do well no matter how well made it is. Add to that the fact that there are people here who absolutely wish I would vanish from this place and there is no way I do well at these things. But I worked my butt off this month to prove a point and I will prove that point. Mark my words. I won't finish any better than I normally do. So, point being, it wouldn't matter if I put in 2 hours into a track or 102 hours into a track. The results, as far as the voting goes, will be the same.
You say you put a lot of time into a track this month to prove a point. Just this once. There's just so much wrong with all of this :lol: it's silly.

(Side note: you have finished 15. one time, not always at the bottom.)

There are people here who have put hours upon hours into their tracks, for years. And they have actually gotten good at it. Now, when you put hours upon hours into one single track, one single time, you "prove" nothing. It's just that one track.

You have said, last year: "I don't traditionally spend countless hours on anything. I don't have that kind of patience. If I was doing this for a living, maybe, but I can't see spending 100 hours on a track that is essentially just for a "fun" competition." "This is supposed to be fun, and to that end I give it the attention that it deserves to make it fun and not turn it into a job."

Consider this. If you actually spend considerable time on something, you will master it, in time. If you don't generally put in the time, you don't magically get master level results if you do it one time, one month. You WILL get better results, as you already have nice skills to put to use that month, and you just give it the time it really deserves. But you are... not... going to suddenly push out something extraordinary if the above has been your general take on things.

When voting, there's a scale from 1 to 5 here. If someone gives an okayish track a 4 or 5 (not talking about any specific track here), what do the most skillful and masterful tracks get, then?

But sheesh. This is just so silly. I understand why people generally don't take the bait any longer :D hah.
Are you done?

wagtunes wrote:Are you done?
You've been at this for years now; are you?

Guenon wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Are you done?
You've been at this for years now; are you?
Guess not. lol

Again.....this contest is about fun, learning, improving your skills as a musician, sound designer, and mixing engineer. I care not who wins. I took 2nd the first time I entered this contest a couple of years ago and haven't come close to the prizes since.

I do this because I enjoy it. I have so many wonderful tools. Hardware synthesizers, eurorack setup, sequencers, fx boxes, and a boatload of software. This is a chance to just make a tune devoid of the painstaking process of figuring out what synth I want to use for what. Its a good reminder that a good tune usually comes together rather quickly when the focus is music, and not the tools. It kind of gets my workflow back in order. Having a deadline and limitations will do that.

I'm a complete amateur and always will be. I have no desire for fame or glory. This is my passion and main pastime outside of real life.

I completely ignore genre. The first thing I listen to is mixdown. I can hear immediately whether the person just recorded a bunch of tracks, or took the time to sit down in order to make their sounds shine, and sound cohesive. I can split the field in half right there. Then the good half I split into 3-5 based on sound design and music. I ignore whether I "like" the tune or not, but of course there must be some subconscious bonus for a tune that gets to you emotionally. To get a 5, the mix, music, and sounds all must be good.

Then the bottom half, I'm listening for people who wrote good music and created cool sounds but maybe don't yet have the skills in the mixdown department. Occasionally if the music is very good, I'll give a 4. I reserve 5's for the total package, irrespective of genre. Shoot, some of the tracks made....aren't all that musical, but still are extremely creative, and I easily recognize the skill required to create it. I think to myself, "how would I make that sound?"

If this isn't fun, then don't participate. If this just pisses you off, I'd go off and create on your own. Maybe go make a dozen tracks just for you....forget this group for a while.

I know there are times I'm making music for me, using my gear, using my fancy console emulations and compressors, spending 4 hours making a single fx patch on my modular. I need that sometimes whether I like the OSC synth or not. When I'm getting lost in my workflow, I come back here and get centered. Its about the music, forget your toys.....use this one synth and your DAW plugins, GO!

just my $0.02
Logic Pro X : Prophet Rev2, Blofeld, Toraiz-AS1, Model D, Minibrute, MOTU 828x, Presonus Eris E7's, dozens of pedals

EDGEK8D wrote:Again.....this contest is about fun, learning, improving your skills as a musician, sound designer, and mixing engineer. I care not who wins. I took 2nd the first time I entered this contest a couple of years ago and haven't come close to the prizes since.

I do this because I enjoy it. I have so many wonderful tools. Hardware synthesizers, eurorack setup, sequencers, fx boxes, and a boatload of software. This is a chance to just make a tune devoid of the painstaking process of figuring out what synth I want to use for what. Its a good reminder that a good tune usually comes together rather quickly when the focus is music, and not the tools. It kind of gets my workflow back in order. Having a deadline and limitations will do that.

I'm a complete amateur and always will be. I have no desire for fame or glory. This is my passion and main pastime outside of real life.

I completely ignore genre. The first thing I listen to is mixdown. I can hear immediately whether the person just recorded a bunch of tracks, or took the time to sit down in order to make their sounds shine, and sound cohesive. I can split the field in half right there. Then the good half I split into 3-5 based on sound design and music. I ignore whether I "like" the tune or not, but of course there must be some subconscious bonus for a tune that gets to you emotionally. To get a 5, the mix, music, and sounds all must be good.

Then the bottom half, I'm listening for people who wrote good music and created cool sounds but maybe don't yet have the skills in the mixdown department. Occasionally if the music is very good, I'll give a 4. I reserve 5's for the total package, irrespective of genre. Shoot, some of the tracks made....aren't all that musical, but still are extremely creative, and I easily recognize the skill required to create it. I think to myself, "how would I make that sound?"

If this isn't fun, then don't participate. If this just pisses you off, I'd go off and create on your own. Maybe go make a dozen tracks just for you....forget this group for a while.

I know there are times I'm making music for me, using my gear, using my fancy console emulations and compressors, spending 4 hours making a single fx patch on my modular. I need that sometimes whether I like the OSC synth or not. When I'm getting lost in my workflow, I come back here and get centered. Its about the music, forget your toys.....use this one synth and your DAW plugins, GO!

just my $0.02
Create on my own is pretty much what I do. My Soundcloud page is inching its way up to 400 tracks soon.

Why I torture myself with these contests?

God only knows.

Return to “Instruments”