Steepest Hipass and Low pass filter ever

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Acon Digital's Equalize
https://acondigital.com/products/equalize/

the High-pass and Low-pass filters can go Down to 120 dB !!

that's even more steep than VPS philta CM

and it can Be Mid-Sided within the plugin no need for 3rd party encoding and decoding plugin instances
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/rubber ... tian_budde
If you want to explore steepness frontiers...

Or simply stack 32 48dB butterworth filters in Equilibrium. 1536 dB per octave.

Question is, why do people still think that really steep filters are useful?!

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

djscorb wrote:Question is, why do people still think that really steep filters are useful?!
They are useful every time you need a really steep filter and phase shift isn't an issue. Traditional mixing is just one use of an EQ. Question is, why do you worry about that?

As what comes to "steepest", I don't think 120dB is that rare, MEqualizer has that option as well M/S, I suspect there's many more EQs with those features.

I'm all for creative use of filtering and they can be useful for the telephone effect (see my presets in Equilibrium), but it seems to be a commonly held belief amongst noobs that steeper filters are better for everyday mixing tasks and they aren't.

My comment was simply to ensure that this point is represented in this thread, that is all ;)

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

If I am not wrong when I demoed ozone7 and neutron one of those has a brickwall filter.

+ for Equalize (3dB/oct) and Braiworx...
At least these 98/120 dB/oct are only dangerous and absolutely not musical and not friendly but seems people can't understand...

It's commonsense the gentle pass filters sound the least destructive. Even better is to use shelf filters instead if possible.

You do sometimes see people using very steep high passes on their masters to cut bass. Some of these people also believe there is nothing valuable above 18kHz :lol: Yeah - goodluck with that!

Ozone 7's EQ have a Brickwall EQ Curve. The Cambridge EQ from UAD has a pretty steep curve to it as well, I don't recall the name tho.
DJ brimLo

DJ | Artist | Producer

MogwaiBoy wrote:Some of these people also believe there is nothing valuable above 18kHz :lol: Yeah - goodluck with that!
Like what?

MogwaiBoy wrote:Some of these people also believe there is nothing valuable above 18kHz :lol:
I, for one, can't head anything above 15kHz. Not anymore.

Zombie Queen wrote:
MogwaiBoy wrote:Some of these people also believe there is nothing valuable above 18kHz :lol:
That doesnt mean theres nothing above if you dont hear it. There is in fact, a lot harmonics, also, that airy sound...Cut that out and sound becomes sterile and not natural.

Zombie Queen wrote:
Does there exist people which can hear the difference between 44100 and 48000 sample rates?

I am not talking about aliasing and sample rate conversion artifacts here.

yes, remember that modern persons are accustomed to listening to electronic playback devices (and their associated bandwidths et c.) throughout their environment. (i'll stop there because people in this culture don't like to hear about how it entrains their attention).

"the steepest" filter in dsp would be fourier resynthesis with bins zeroed out - the issue with this is that it is "quality" with a single frame of analysis (eg. to filter a sample) but when joining a series of frames together (eg. fourier applied to a running signal) the windowing will implicitly lessen the quality of the reconstructed signal. but quite possibly, maybe not by enough to concern the artist. (some really great dsp practitioners will tell you it's improper and say you're wrong but it sounds dope anyways).

and of course, this technique (for single shots, available for free in my percussion sampler, stoooner vst) does psychoacoustically emphasise the last present frequency, like a ringing or resonance (but only because of the sudden drop).

"terribly horribly unmusical" i know heheheheh... never do this, kiddies, never, hahahahaha. *sigh bloody tiresome authoritarian culture*
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

I very often low pass filter whole mixes at 18Khz with a 12dB per octave filter in mastering. That means it's 3dB down at 18Khz. Not had any complaints yet. Can give a nice warm, analogue sound, especially when used with wide, high shelving boosts for air etc.

Return to “Effects”