Oxygene 3

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

First off, let me say that I am massive JMJ fan. I own every one of his albums.

I listened to Oxygene 3 today, and to be honest I was disappointed after the first listen through. I was hoping he would have gone back to using his older analog synthesizers and techniques.

Oxygene parts 14 & 17 were the most interesting for me. However, the overall impression I got from this album is that they were probably ideas which didn't quite make the cut from the Electronica 1 & 2 recording sessions.

Personally I think JMJ lost his way a bit since his Metamorphoses album from 2000. His melodies aren't quite as catchy as they used to be, and his 'sound' is not quite as organic like his albums prior to 2000. His albums up to and including Oxygene 7-13 (now repackaged as Oxygene 2 in the new trilogy set) have their own individual character and charm. However, I think JMJ has tried to keep up with appearances with they way he has used digital technology ever since Metamorphoses. In a way he has lost his musical identity.

I'll listen to Oxygene 3 some more, and maybe it will grow on me.

Has anyone else listened to it? If so, what are your thoughts?
Opax

Opax wrote:First off, let me say that I am massive JMJ fan. I own every one of his albums.
Yeah right, like you own Musique pour Supermarché. Dream on :P

Numanoid wrote:
Opax wrote:First off, let me say that I am massive JMJ fan. I own every one of his albums.
No need. A lot of those ideas were reused in Zoolook and Rendez-Vous. :P
Opax

Opax wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
No need. A lot of those ideas were reused in Zoolook and Rendez-Vous. :P
Huh? :?

Either you own all the albums, or you don't. You don't own JMJ's sixth album

To say that ideas are reused later is pathetic. Most artists recycle their stuff sooner or later.

I'll tell you what is pathetic... People who troll threads just to try and stir the pot and try to get a reaction. Are you posting for posting sake? I mean, over 21,000 posts - why don't you actually spend some time making music instead of trolling the forums here at KVR with your irrelevant, pedantic agenda?

Yes, there is only one copy of Music for Supermarkets in existence, as the master was destroyed. No, I do not own that album. I think the majority of people aware of this album will know that. But thank you for pointing out the obvious.

Anyone else care to talk about Oxygene 3?
Opax

Opax wrote:I'll tell you what is pathetic... People who troll threads just to try and stir the pot and try to get a reaction. Are you posting for posting sake? I mean, over 21,000 posts - why don't you actually spend some time making music instead of trolling the forums here at KVR with your irrelevant, pedantic agenda?
Give me a break, who reported the news about this album almost two months ago:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=379411&hilit=oxygene&start=269

Irrelevant.

I'm asking what others think of the album now that it's available.
Opax

Opax wrote:I'm asking what others think of the album now that it's available.
In the meantime why don't you follow your own advice
Opax wrote:why don't you actually spend some time making music instead of trolling the forums here at KVR with your irrelevant, pedantic agenda?

Thank you for sabotaging my thread with your wonderful insight. :tu:
Opax

Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah quite a disappointing release. I do like Oxygene 16 and 20, for me, only they (kind of) rise above the (low) average. The album sounds under-produced as far as melody, harmony, rhythm and timbral originality. But it sounds overproduced as far as mastering.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

Anyway, the box set is quite nice. :party:

https://youtu.be/rOu1v5nwj_0

Quite surprising release, the first track with it's electric piano isn't what I connect with Oxygene.

But after a couple of listens it kind of grows on me, the whole album that is.

Will take some time to decide on this one, but it isn't among his worst releases like Revolutions or Waiting for Cousteau

I am a bit worried how dated those sharp EDM like plucks he uses often will sound a couple of years down the road.

Would also be nice if he could use some darker moods, most tracks are on the sweet side.

I never got into JMJ. The only album I bought was Rendezvous back in the 80s, probably on the basis of some review in Keyboard magazine. I was not impressed. Of course I've heard the track Oxygene(some number) in isolation and it seemed not bad. So if I were to go back and listen to his best work, what would that be?
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”