Avenger vs. Rapid

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've have actually started to appreciate uncolored synths. I love the sound of vaz modular and imposcar, but with Falcon you get to sculpture the sound yourself. Feels kinda good to steer the ship!

recursive one wrote:Avenger seems to be a sound design factory, aimed at people who have deep understanding of synthesis and know what they want to do and how it can be done.
That's a fair assessment, and a double-edged sword. People who design sounds at that level already know how to work with their existing tools. You end up paying more and more for smaller and smaller improvements (like any technology), and you feel like you're betraying tools that have done you proud. You're cluttering the toolbox.

It's easier to give into GAS impulses & indulge in new tools, than it is to justify to yourself. But our gear is already awesome, and has been for years. Not trying to ruin the party. Have fun everyone. Like every GF ever has said; "it's not you, it's me" :hihi: :party:

I think we all under-estimate the opposite affliction to GAS, but the proof is all over KVR.

Anybody else having trouble loading the factory content folder into the demo version?

audiosabre wrote:
recursive one wrote:Avenger seems to be a sound design factory, aimed at people who have deep understanding of synthesis and know what they want to do and how it can be done.
That's a fair assessment, and a double-edged sword. People who design sounds at that level already know how to work with their existing tools. You end up paying more and more for smaller and smaller improvements (like any technology), and you feel like you're betraying tools that have done you proud. You're cluttering the toolbox.

It's easier to give into GAS impulses & indulge in new tools, than it is to justify to yourself. But our gear is already awesome, and has been for years. Not trying to ruin the party. Have fun everyone. Like every GF ever has said; "it's not you, it's me" :hihi: :party:

I think we all under-estimate the opposite affliction to GAS, but the proof is all over KVR.
GAS defo is playing a big role. However, these new synths (2016; icarus, rapid, avenger, end 2015; falcon) can be a real asset. New tech, new possibilties, better sound quality, and especially in the case of Icarus, falcon and rapid; more stability. Now, will this justify the costs? I dunno man. I'm having an awesome blast with all these new tools though. So for me, yeah, it is worth it. It wouldn't be very different with hardware, only the costs :)

Back in the days I had bad feelings (almost depression) about my GAS.

But it changed since I call myself a "collector" and "patron of audio software developers". :D

elassi wrote:Back in the days I had bad feelings (almost depression) about my GAS.

But it changed since I call myself a "collector" and "patron of audio software developers". :D
8) :tu:

elassi wrote:Back in the days I had bad feelings (almost depression) about my GAS.

I didn't know I had GAS until I came here.

wagtunes wrote:

I didn't know I had GAS until I came here.
:lol: Indeed!

This should be a slogan to be written in the Sell & Buy forum here! :hihi:

Great and helpful comparison, Wagtunes. Now if you threw Falcon into the mix???

jc_vt wrote:Great and helpful comparison, Wagtunes. Now if you threw Falcon into the mix???
Falcon is closer to Avenger but even more versatile in most areas but harder to use. It also has a clean, sterile sound that you need to work at.

The synth is so massive, my sound library for it was 605 patches and I just barely scratched the surface,

I have both, Avenger+Rapid - and alone from the presets, I can say Avenger is way more inspiring than Rapid's.
Rapid's presets are really common, mostly sounding similar and non inspiring. (ignoring SQ / Sequence presets b/c i dont use them)

So if you want something fresh sounding, take Avenger. Thats my advice.

jc_vt wrote:Great and helpful comparison, Wagtunes. Now if you threw Falcon into the mix???
I also Have Falcon and Avenger. Both are great, Avenger is much easier to use/program and costs half as much as Falcon in the current sale. There is no demo of Falcon, but it is rock solid (it has been out a while and has had plenty of bug fixes/updates) is very professional and it plays all UVI sound banks (which are normally fantastic) which can also just be just part of the mix with other effects and voices...It was for me quite hard to learn and is quite intimidating with the range of options, for some reason despite having a hell of a lot of options for oscillators and modulation Avenger just seemed to be logical for me.

Falcon is 350E but you do get a 100E voucher for soundbanks...it comes on sale quote often as well.
Avenger is 160E in current sale.

To summarise - I admire, respect, possibly even revere Falcon...I am just havening a fun with Avenger, I think it may get more use....time will tell. I really didn't think I would need another 'workstation' synth after Falcon (and passed on Rapid) but Avenger is just so easy to use and make those cool complete songs you can play with 2 fingers I use to love on hardware workstations.....

I think if I was buying again, the lack of demo on Falcon would probably steer me towards Avenger unless you really know what you are doing.....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote:
I also Have Falcon and Avenger. Both are great, Avenger is much easier to use/program and costs half as much as Falcon in the current sale. There is no demo of Falcon, but it is rock solid (it has been out a while and has had plenty of bug fixes/updates) is very professional and it plays all UVI sound banks (which are normally fantastic) which can also just be just part of the mix with other effects and voices...It was for me quite hard to learn and is quite intimidating with the range of options, for some reason despite having a hell of a lot of options for oscillators and modulation Avenger just seemed to be logical for me.

Falcon is 350E but you do get a 100E voucher for soundbanks...it comes on sale quote often as well.
Avenger is 160E in current sale.

To summarise - I admire, respect, possibly even revere Falcon...I am just havening a fun with Avenger, I think it may get more use....time will tell. I really didn't think I would need another 'workstation' synth after Falcon (and passed on Rapid) but Avenger is just so easy to use and make those cool complete songs you can play with 2 fingers I use to love on hardware workstations.....

I think if I was buying again, the lack of demo on Falcon would probably steer me towards Avenger unless you really know what you are doing.....
Quite funny, i had the same after Falcon. Avenger is just different. It is fun, massive and the limitations are quite suited for fast working (not all of them, like the lack of using an osc as a mod source).

However, Rapid is very different. The sound, the workflow and the way stacking layers work, is just a breeze.

These three synths are being used every day over here and they all serve different purposes. Awesome stuff!

chk071 wrote:Can't even install the Rapid demo... always gives out error messages.
Just a heads up, as Mr. Parawave also asked me about that: Probably was an issue with the download. I downloaded the demo again, this time with the browser, not with my download manager, and, the installation worked fine. Must say that it sounds a bit too harsh for me though, as if there was much saturation by default. I think i do prefer the cleaner sound of Avenger, when comparing the two (and Spire over both of these :P).

Return to “Instruments”