Rules of Sampling for Use in Sample Libraries

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been thinking of creating some sample libraries, mostly using vsti synths, but every once in a while I'd like to add some choir samples from other sample libraries. Searching with google brings alot of stuff about sampling for music but not so much for sampling to be used for sample libraries.

Can anyone share some tidbits on what's aloud when sampling for sample libraries or some resources to read through?

When can I or when can't I use a sample that is already from a sample library, ie can I create a chord form a choir library and use it? How about using sounds from synths that use samples? Say from nexus or alchemy?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote:I've been thinking of creating some sample libraries, mostly using vsti synths, but every once in a while I'd like to add some choir samples from other sample libraries. Searching with google brings alot of stuff about sampling for music but not so much for sampling to be used for sample libraries.

Can anyone share some tidbits on what's aloud when sampling for sample libraries or some resources to read through?

When can I or when can't I use a sample that is already from a sample library, ie can I create a chord form a choir library and use it? How about using sounds from synths that use samples? Say from nexus or alchemy?
No, you must not re-sample sounds from other sample libraries and soundsets (and a chord played with choir sounds or synth patches from an existing library/soundset is defined as re-sampling), most/all license agreement clearly state this. Do your samples from scratch or take the risk to get sued. Or ask the copyright holder of a given library if you can license some sounds to be used in your own releases.

Thanks. I'll seek out free samples and sfz for when I really need to, would this be okay? Or maybe I'll just hire someone to sing some choir samples for me :D
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote:Thanks. I'll seek out free samples and sfz for when I really need to, would this be okay?
If you're using stuff with a Creative Common incense, you have to check if you're allowed to modify the content and you have to name the author.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Touch The Universe wrote:Thanks. I'll seek out free samples and sfz for when I really need to, would this be okay?
If you're using stuff with a Creative Common incense, you have to check if you're allowed to modify the content and you have to name the author.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons_license

Thanks a lot Simon. I think I will go the hire route or maybe get someone to do it for free. Seems more fun that way anyway :D

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote:Thanks a lot Simon. I think I will go the hire route or maybe get someone to do it for free. Seems more fun that way anyway :D
Investing time, expertise and money into creating your own samples will pay off manyfold.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Touch The Universe wrote:I've been thinking of creating some sample libraries, mostly using vsti synths, but every once in a while I'd like to add some choir samples from other sample libraries. Searching with google brings alot of stuff about sampling for music but not so much for sampling to be used for sample libraries.

No, you must not re-sample sounds from other sample libraries and soundsets (and a chord played with choir sounds or synth patches from an existing library/soundset is defined as re-sampling), most/all license agreement clearly state this. Do your samples from scratch or take the risk to get sued. Or ask the copyright holder of a given library if you can license some sounds to be used in your own releases.
Not strictly true. You cannot sample another sample without permission or license, which, for all intents and purposes, are the same thing. That is, the license is what grants you the permission. I have some sample libraries that do not explicitly exclude the creation of other sample libraries, per se. Since by definition you must have a license with a sample library or it's useless, the full answer to whether you can or cannot is in the license agreement.

So, Just make sure that you are complying with the license that accompanies the samples that you want to use.

Without a license agreement, you cannot even use a sample to make music. There is no explicit exemption in law for this, ergo, there is no explicit rule against any other use not excluded by the license agreement.

Any idea of fair use is, for the most part, out of the window.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”