KVR Dev Challenge 2016!

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Teksonik wrote: I wasn't too impressed with the Zampler sample content in either collection but that's because they tend to concentrate on synth sounds which I can make with.....my synths. :hihi: The content isn't bad it's just not my cup of tea.

I'd love for someone to do a 80's-90's Rompler soundset. You know Choirs, Ahhhs, Ooohs, Shaku, Pan Flute, Orch Ensembles, etc. I'd probably pay for that.... :tu:
It seems the policy behind the Zampler banks is to offer snippets of contemporary hardware synths. Which is cool and different at the same time (being able to get some of that flavours without shelling out lots of cash on the real units)... until you actually try fitting those sounds into a song - they just don't gel that well. I've been struggling a bit when making my sound demo of Zampler a few years back, and the end result was not that impressive alltogether. But maybe it's just me...

On the other hand, the free banks are too small and restrictive soundwise. I gather the ones released with the magazine are a different story, but the freebies... bitesize fads...

Lastly: the preset manager is IMO seriously crippling this thing. Not being able to load everything in one go and just browsing through instrument categories is so tiresome and time consuming! But hey.
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

.jon wrote:
Ichad.c wrote:Not competing this year, so I get to critique for once. I'm a delay-freak so I'm happy about some of the toys! Would be nice if all the devs made a thread as per usual here http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=91 Would be easier to navigate and track issues.

Good luck to all!
I've only tested Lagrange and Spaceship (is there more delays?), but both are great.
Yeah, there is another delay but seems it's Mac only :( Missed that on my first pass :dog:

Aloysius wrote:OMG! YouLean Loudness Meter. :clap:

Actually, I think that should be ''Youlean'' and not ''You Lean''. :)
Hahahah Thanks!

Just wanted to put out a thank you to all of the developers who contributed to DC 2016.
I've been impressed across the board with the quality of the submissions.
Also an honorable mention to KVR for it's efforts to make it happen. It's going to be tough for me to pick favorites.

Thanks

Just a little message to tell everybody that I have just updated Spaceship Delay with all the presets and tutorial content (available from the About tab by clicking on the name of the plug-in) and a few bug corrections. I have always wanted to put an embedded manual / live tutorial / collection of tricks + anecdotes in a plug-in since the day I saw that in Ableton Live.

Now I'm going to work on audio samples :lol:

:tu:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

reading thru the entries (thanks haha i love the way people write about dsp, invention, public contribution and value)

reading thru the entries, it seems we have been graced! the "voiceofsnow" process separates tone and noise, which is generally accomplished with an LPC (linear predictive coding) filter, or cepstral processing.

to the best of my knowledge, the spectral resynthesizer from the last DC is the only other freeware vst offering this ancient yet inaccessible process!

haven't tried it yet, but i'm really grateful, as this is "really good to do" for a lot of mucking about with synths and signals, and i hope one day, the general readership of kvr is informed enough to identify the dsp components of a procedure by its function instead of treating plugins as magic black boxes.

ceptsral processing is kind of like a spectrum of a spectrum (noise and tone separation is like source-filter separation, so you can derive a "resonant filter" from any signal and turn that data into a real spectral resynthesis process). i've been trying to build one for years, and eventually got to the point where i "understand the literature" (to the best of my knowledge). i then got so pissed off that it was so bloody simple (turn time signal into frequency signal, exponentially or logarithmically rescale the data then do another fourier transform) that i stopped working on it. you have no idea how many "complex" dsp processes are mathematically rudimentary, and obscured to make them sound all awesome. i want to wrap my hands around perry cook's cranium and do a darth vader, if you'd have put it in simple language, i'd have built it ten years ago you bastard. worthless bloody species, ought to be smashed to pieces with a really, really big asteroid. don't you like how when they draw pictures of earth being hit with an asteroid, it's always about the size of a continent, like "maybe we could survive!" not like millions of times larger than the planet. because that's what you're gonna get you know, the big one that is so super duper big you can't even expect because your brains are too egoistic and you have no capacity for imagination or humility whatsoever. :) who invented this stupid planet of douchebags?
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Should we feed him?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:Should we feed him?
Just make sure he takes his meds. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
Aloysius wrote:Should we feed him?
Just make sure he takes his meds Salvia :wink:
fify

Voiceofsnow does look like a very interesting one to try. I've downloaded the ones that look like something I could use, haven't installed any yet...

OK out of the few that have Mac versions I think Nusofting Noisetar is the clear winner for me, followed by the Kontakt Microtuner and the Reaktor ensemble.

Totally! Noisetar is quite innovative or at the very least inventive and quite possibly useful even. It's fun to explore!

I honestly wished I knew how I could do a mac compile without actually having a mac or having to invest in something for that matter. Maybe there's a free emulator or so and I can try doing some xcode?! :shrug: ...but well. Eventually I will figure this out, too! I apologize for not having that, yet! :|

aMUSEd wrote:OK out of the few that have Mac versions I think Nusofting Noisetar is the clear winner for me, followed by the Kontakt Microtuner and the Reaktor ensemble.
I hear that Slam drum machine is pretty cool ;D

Still haven't had a chance to try out a lot of these, though I've been enjoying SnareBuzz and briefly tried Roth-Air which might end up getting some real use in my mixes (sweet!). I do wish Lord of the Springs ran on Mac because it looks really neat.
OPL2 is forever

idfpower wrote:A lot of the entries seem rushed.
Sorry, I'm a bit late on this thread. IIRC this dev challenge was only announced in September, so of course some of the entries are going to be rushed. I didn't even get to finish what I wanted to work on.

Also, I think historically the dev challenges have been partly about allowing the non-professionals / less experienced developers to have a chance to have a go alongside the more experienced developers. So, while I can see that for a user it's annoying to have to do a lot of manual setup or have missing pre-requisites (and, to be honest, I'd probably take off a few points when doing my comparative assessment), it can unfortunately be quite easy if you haven't done much software development to not realise that some development environments have a whole pile of support files on your development machine that mightn't be on an end-users machine. Combine that with a limited beta test rule, and some developers aren't going find out that kind of stuff until their entry goes live. So maybe cut the less experienced developers a bit of slack, and keep the criticism constructive.

(Full disclosure: yes I have also contributed to one of this year's entries, so if you read any defensiveness into this reply, that'd be why.)

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”