Yes - The Ultimate VST Setup

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

waltercruz wrote:About Hammonds, if you're in a limited budget, Native Organs can work really well if you replace the Leslie with a proper simulation. My recommendation is MVintageRotary. Don't know enough about Arturia VB-3, maybe it can nail your sounds without a external Leslie.
I guess it's easy enough to compare the sound of Native to Arturia. As for MVintageRotary, I have the demo loaded so I can check that out as well.

Thanks.

wagtunes wrote:Well, I did some research and solved my guitar problem. But damn, this stuff is expensive.

http://www.vir2.com/instruments/acou6tics/

http://www.vir2.com/instruments/electri6ity/

Both for Kontakt

Opinions from guitarists as far as guitar VSTs go? Would you at least say these are better than the AAS emulations that I have?
Not a guitarist.. but I use both those guitar libraries extensively.

Electri6ity is amazing.. but has a bit of a learning curve. Acou6tics is more user friendly, but not as detailed (in general) as I'd like.

Both, definitely better than the AAS stuff.. but, learning curve.

For as far as leslie's are concerned: you may want to try the PSP L'Otary. It can be a bit heavy on your machine's resources though.

Apart from that: you've got the right attitude, and let me wish you luck. Yes, I'm also a huge fan of Yes, up to Relayer that is. This project can open your life to entirily new vista's.

Like it was said in one great movie:

------------------------------

Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.
Windows 7, Cubase 9.5 and some extra plug-ins | Takamine EN-10C and PRS Mira

I can't give any advice other than partly backing up what annode said: just get one song composed, arranged, recorded, mixed and mastered and see how good it sounds. Then find out what you want to make better and find out what you need to do to get that "better" that you're looking for. Spending ages beforehand -- spending £££, even -- isn't going to get you where you want to be, unless you know where that is. You know what it sounds like but you don't know - for you - how to get there. Start.

My to-go Mellotron:
https://www.wavesfactory.com/newmelloi/
https://www.wavesfactory.com/newmelloii/

Cheap and (at least to my ears) very convincing, lots of instruments and two mixable, differently degraded tapes.

progtronic wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Well, I did some research and solved my guitar problem. But damn, this stuff is expensive.

http://www.vir2.com/instruments/acou6tics/

http://www.vir2.com/instruments/electri6ity/

Both for Kontakt

Opinions from guitarists as far as guitar VSTs go? Would you at least say these are better than the AAS emulations that I have?
Not a guitarist.. but I use both those guitar libraries extensively.

Electri6ity is amazing.. but has a bit of a learning curve. Acou6tics is more user friendly, but not as detailed (in general) as I'd like.

Both, definitely better than the AAS stuff.. but, learning curve.
Believe me, I've watched all the videos and I'm well aware of the learning curve. But that's never gotten in my way before as far as VSTs go. I'll master this eventually. I'm selling my Magic card collection to raise the funds for this project. Since I don't play anymore I figured, what the heck? They're just sitting around collecting dust and it's thousands of dollars.

I'm almost 100% certain I'll be getting these sometime in January.

ErikH wrote:For as far as leslie's are concerned: you may want to try the PSP L'Otary. It can be a bit heavy on your machine's resources though.

Apart from that: you've got the right attitude, and let me wish you luck. Yes, I'm also a huge fan of Yes, up to Relayer that is. This project can open your life to entirily new vista's.

Like it was said in one great movie:

------------------------------

Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.
Thanks Erik. I'll check the PSP out. I used to have a great hardware Leslie emulator years ago but it's gone with all my other hardware, including my Emu Vintage Keys which had a great B3.

Oh well, there's no going back.

pljones wrote:I can't give any advice other than partly backing up what annode said: just get one song composed, arranged, recorded, mixed and mastered and see how good it sounds. Then find out what you want to make better and find out what you need to do to get that "better" that you're looking for. Spending ages beforehand -- spending £££, even -- isn't going to get you where you want to be, unless you know where that is. You know what it sounds like but you don't know - for you - how to get there. Start.
You're right and annode's right. But doing a cover without the right tools is certainly not going to bring me the desired results. So even if I decide to do a cover version (and yes, I've changed my mind on that and I will) I still need to have everything in place first. I need to give myself the best chance to make this cover sound as close as possible. With the tools I currently have, it's not possible outside of Squier's bass.

But you are right. So yeah, I'll pick a song and do it.

HiEnergy wrote:My to-go Mellotron:

Cheap and (at least to my ears) very convincing, lots of instruments and two mixable, differently degraded tapes.
Wow! 20 pounds? That is cheap. Okay, let me listen to it and compare the sound to GForce. You know what they say. You usually get what you pay for.

wagtunes wrote:
HiEnergy wrote:My to-go Mellotron:

Wow! 20 pounds? That is cheap. Okay, let me listen to it and compare the sound to GForce. You know what they say. You usually get what you pay for.
In this case, I think it's a true statement. I don't own these, but judging for the examples, I don't think they can compete with M-Tron Pro. :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)

wagtunes wrote:
pljones wrote:I can't give any advice other than partly backing up what annode said: just get one song composed, arranged, recorded, mixed and mastered and see how good it sounds. Then find out what you want to make better and find out what you need to do to get that "better" that you're looking for. Spending ages beforehand -- spending £££, even -- isn't going to get you where you want to be, unless you know where that is. You know what it sounds like but you don't know - for you - how to get there. Start.
You're right and annode's right. But doing a cover without the right tools is certainly not going to bring me the desired results. So even if I decide to do a cover version (and yes, I've changed my mind on that and I will) I still need to have everything in place first. I need to give myself the best chance to make this cover sound as close as possible. With the tools I currently have, it's not possible outside of Squier's bass.

Most of what I'd be worried about in getting "that sound" is understanding the recording and engineering process of the time and what effect that had on the instrumentation (as recorded). You can get the latter as "right" as you like but if it's not going through the same "processing" (I use that loosely, as I'm including unintended effects), you could end up disappointed. That's why I'm saying, just start. If you're working entirely "in the box", you've a lot more equipment to worry about than just the instruments / effects the guys were using. Hearing what you can do as soon as you can may help identify other areas you need to look at. Or it may not.

pljones wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

Most of what I'd be worried about in getting "that sound" is understanding the recording and engineering process of the time and what effect that had on the instrumentation (as recorded). You can get the latter as "right" as you like but if it's not going through the same "processing" (I use that loosely, as I'm including unintended effects), you could end up disappointed. That's why I'm saying, just start. If you're working entirely "in the box", you've a lot more equipment to worry about than just the instruments / effects the guys were using. Hearing what you can do as soon as you can may help identify other areas you need to look at. Or it may not.
True, there are tons of variables involved. The studio used. The tape machines. And it WAS tape back then. The consoles. Everything. I have to do all this by ear with emulations. I do have Kramer Tape which does give a nice old tape sound. I have had nice results with it so far on tracks that I felt needed it.

I get that what I am trying to do is near impossible. I am going into this with that understanding. My goal, again, is not to fool anybody into thinking Yes came to my house and did a jam session. My goal is simply to come as close as I humanly can and have fun doing it. I don't want this to turn into a year long job. A year long labor of love, yes. But not a job. If it's going to be that, I'd just assume not do it.

Ultimately, if I'M pleased with the results, that's all that matters as most people hate my music anyway. I'm certainly not going to convert anybody doing a Yes tribute CD.

I'm not that delusional.

Sounds like you got a lot of the bases covered... Virtual vocals?
I'm could help you out there... I'm not Anderson but I have a soft high voice if you need one.
I was lucky to have seen YES a lot in the seventies and I got to see them with Trevor Horn at Madison Square Gardens in the round.
It was funny seeing Chris Squires bass guitars being handed up to him from trap doors in the stage.
Good luck with the project sounds challenging but fun.

With the tools I currently have, it's not possible outside of Squier's bass.
What's the story with Omnisphere2 ? It appears you own it.
Looking at it, it also appears to 'house' instruments your not necessarily settled on?
- 12 string
- B3
- acoustic/classical guitar
- minimoog
- mellotron
- various drums

pljones mentioned processing above.
With the modeled processors available now, it's rather easy to get results
compared to YES recordings(with some skill)...which were never that good to begin with.

- Your showing Synthmaster as well in your list. Examigan above posted a few very good examples of YES-like keys using this. You didn't comment on that. Is Synthmaster good enough?
- You said you've settled on GForce mellotron, it appears. May I suggest making a list of 'best so far' VSTi so those who want to assist you know where your coming from.

A guitar stumming VSTi I'm guessing will not be acceptable. Listening to Steve Howe on those recordings, he never generically strums. You could get a better result just manually writing the midi into the editor.
But if me, I wouldn't spend any time on researching strumming VSTi.

If you have RMX in your Omnisphere, although too expensive;
https://www.esoundz.com/sounds/complete ... /5417.html

A better choice, but again the cost of the VSTi and expansion pac;
https://www.toontrack.com/product/big-rock-drums-ezx/
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

annode wrote:
With the tools I currently have, it's not possible outside of Squier's bass.
What's the story with Omnisphere2 ? It appears you own it.
Looking at it, it also appears to 'house' instruments your not necessarily settled on?
- 12 string
- B3
- acoustic/classical guitar
- minimoog
- mellotron
- various drums

pljones mentioned processing above.
With the modeled processors available now, it's rather easy to get results
compared to YES recordings(with some skill)...which were never that good to begin with.

- Your showing Synthmaster as well in your list. Examigan above posted a few very good examples of YES-like keys using this. You didn't comment on that. Is Synthmaster good enough?
- You said you've settled on GForce mellotron, it appears. May I suggest making a list of 'best so far' VSTi so those who want to assist you know where your coming from.

A guitar stumming VSTi I'm guessing will not be acceptable. Listening to Steve Howe on those recordings, he never generically strums. You could get a better result just manually writing the midi into the editor.
But if me, I wouldn't spend any time on researching strumming VSTi.

If you have RMX in your Omnisphere, although too expensive;
https://www.esoundz.com/sounds/complete ... /5417.html

A better choice, but again the cost of the VSTi and expansion pac;
https://www.toontrack.com/product/big-rock-drums-ezx/
Here is a list of everything I own.

A.N.A.
ABSynth 5
ACE
Analog Lab
Analog Laboratory
ArcSyn
ARP 2600 V
Avenger
Battery 4
Bazille
Blue II
CRX 4
CS 80
Cycle
Cyclop
DaHornet
Discovery Pro
Diva
Dune 2
Electra 2
Element
Factory
Falcon
FM8
Harmor
Icarus
ImpOSCar 2
Iris 2
Jupiter 8V
KarmaFX Modular
Kontakt 5
Lucid
M1
Massive
Mini V
Modular V
MODO Bass
Mono Poly
MorphoX
Mpowersynth
Mr Alias Pro
MS 20
MUX Modular
Mystic
Nave
Nemesis
Oberheim SEM
Omnisphere
OP-X Pro II
Padshop
Pianoteq
Podolski
Poly 6
Prologue
Prophet V
Ragnarok
Rapid
Rayblaster
Reaktor 5
Repro-1
Retrologue
Revitar
Rez 3
Scrooo
Serum
Six
Softube Modular
Sonigen Modular
Spector
Spectral
String Studio
Strum Acoustic
Strum Electric
Syn'X 2
Synclavier V
Synth1
Synthmaster
TAL Bassline
TAL Elek7ro II
TAL Noisemaker
TAL U No 62
TCM II
TDM 3
The Mangle
Tyrell N6
Vast Vaporizer
Wavemapper 2
Wavestation
Wiggle
X-WoF
XILS 4
Z3ta+2
Zebra 2

I also have stuff like Friedlander Violin, Wavelore Pedal Steel Guitar and pretty much every EWQL library they have except for Gypsy, which includes Ministry Of Rock 2 and Stormdrum.

In short, I have a lot of stuff.

Return to “Instruments”