Vengeance Avenger - First Impressions and Wishlist

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VPS Avenger

Taurus wrote:Sound is really bad. Features, GUI and reverb are great.
Hah... Troll. :lol:
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote:
+1 :) I find the sound on par with most other flagship synths. Filters, fx, osc section...it all sounds high-end

My first wishlist item I mentioned in the other thread, but hopefully this is a better place to collate feature requests. The drum sequencer - there needs to be more flexibility than at present. You have either the one loop being triggered from multiple keys, or the individual drum sounds, never both, and that's your lot. Manuel tells us that this is a feature in development whereby a 2nd mode would be to have loops of individual instruments - an improvement, but on its own still not quite enough imo. In summary, here's what I'd like to see:

Drum hits mode (seq bypassed)
plays individual sounds on a note by note basis (as currently)

SQ mode (current drum seq enabled)
plays a loop on multiple notes, useful mainly as part of an SQ patch (as currently)

Full drum sequencer mode (new)
C0-B1 = Individual drum loops
C1-B2 = Individual drum sounds
C3 = whole loop

The icing on the cake would be to have 4 (or more) patterns, a la the Arp, and these could be triggered from C3 upwards.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Why is Taurus opinion considered trolling? Surely you cant imagine the sound of Avenger is for everyone. Someone said it sounds Fat and Warm, and I was once again reminded how as our humans our taste differ. None necessarily right and wrong, just different. I too tried Avenger and neither Fat or warm came into mind for me. Just my taste. I am not more right or wrong that someone who considered it fat and warm. I like Serum for instance because for me it is neither Fat or Warn, making it different from my usual palate.
Rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:Why is Taurus opinion considered trolling? Surely you cant imagine the sound of Avenger is for everyone. Someone said it sounds Fat and Warm, and I was once again reminded how as our humans our taste differ. None necessarily right and wrong, just different. I too tried Avenger and neither Fat or warm came into mind for me. Just my taste. I am not more right or wrong that someone who considered it fat and warm. I like Serum for instance because for me it is neither Fat or Warn, making it different from my usual palate.
Rsp
He said; "sound is really bad". I dunno man. That is just bollocks. He can dislike it, but it doesn't sound bad. It is quite a neutral synth. It can sound bright, dark, wobbly, old, new, whatever. Hell, the phrase "sound is really bad", isn't even an opinion. :dog:

:-)
Maybe he isn't conversant with English and expressed the best he could?

rsp

exmatproton wrote:
zvenx wrote:Why is Taurus opinion considered trolling? Surely you cant imagine the sound of Avenger is for everyone. Someone said it sounds Fat and Warm, and I was once again reminded how as our humans our taste differ. None necessarily right and wrong, just different. I too tried Avenger and neither Fat or warm came into mind for me. Just my taste. I am not more right or wrong that someone who considered it fat and warm. I like Serum for instance because for me it is neither Fat or Warn, making it different from my usual palate.
Rsp
He said; "sound is really bad". I dunno man. That is just bollocks. He can dislike it, but it doesn't sound bad. It is quite a neutral synth. It can sound bright, dark, wobbly, old, new, whatever. Hell, the phrase "sound is really bad", isn't even an opinion. :dog:
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote::-)
Maybe he isn't conversant with English and expressed the best he could?

rsp

exmatproton wrote:
Rsp
Possibly... :clown:

exmatproton wrote:
Robmobius wrote:
+1 :) I find the sound on par with most other flagship synths. Filters, fx, osc section...it all sounds high-end
Me as well man... To say it sounds 'really bad' is just BS, a bit like his other mutterings in the other thread about it. :lol:
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

The sound isn't bad, but, i feel like it doesn't offer a lot over other synths out there, regarding the sound. The oscillators and waveforms sound good, but, the filters could be better. What i'm especially wondering is why noone can create a "flagship" synth with such a feature set, and do filters like we have on the more analog modelled synths. E.g. you can see that a good sounding filter is possible with a small CPU footprint on synths like Charlatan, or TAL-Noisemaker. I'd really, really like to see a synth implement such filters, and at the same time keep a good feature set. Still waiting for that, maybe, one day. Diversion actually has good filters, but slaughters my CPU with a basic sine wave, so it's sort of unusable for me. Avenger does a lot of things right (gotta admit that the synth features are overkill for me, though), but the filters aren't top of the line, sorry. Massive had similar quality filters in 2007.
Last edited by chk071 on Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Is it possible to run the demo installer without the content?

So far no luck downloading the content file from the demo page :(
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:Is it possible to run the demo installer without the content?
It is, but then it asks for the content, when you boot it up the first time, it won't work without that. :P

chk071 wrote:The sound isn't bad, but, i feel like it doesn't offer a lot over other synths out there, regarding the sound. The oscillators and waveforms sound good, but, the filters could be better. What i'm especially wondering is why noone can create a "flagship" synth with such a feature set, and do filters like we have on the more analog modelled synths. E.g. you can see that a good sounding filter is possible with a small CPU footprint on synths like Charlatan, or TAL-Noisemaker. I'd really, really like to see a synth implement such filters, and at the same time keep a good feature set. Still waiting for that, maybe, one day. Diversion actually has good filters, but slaughters my CPU with a basic sine wave, so it's sort of unusable for me. Avenger does a lot of things right (gotta admit that the synth features are overkill for me, though), but the filters aren't top of the line, sorry. Massive had similar quality filters in 2007.
I have to agree with you 100% on this. The filters on most synths are meh. I am very picky about them and Avenger's are passable and nothing more.

Want to hear a good filter? Grab a hold of Korg's MS-20 from the Legacy Collection.

To die for.

wagtunes wrote: Want to hear a good filter? Grab a hold of Korg's MS-20 from the Legacy Collection.

To die for.
And that one is ancient. Come on devs, i don't think designing filters is such a black art.

chk071 wrote:
recursive one wrote:Is it possible to run the demo installer without the content?
It is, but then it asks for the content, when you boot it up the first time, it won't work without that. :P

OK, I see. Why didn't they make a smaller demo content file, like Rapid? :?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Would have been cool, yeah, 4.5 gigs is quite a lot. You won't be able to remotely browse through that content in the limited demo time each time anyway.

Return to “Instruments”