Yes - The Ultimate VST Setup

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wavelore Pedal Steel Guitar...that's a plus!
Posting that list doesn't a proper reply make.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

annode wrote:Wavelore Pedal Steel Guitar...that's a plus!
I'm sorry. The only question I noticed you asked was if Synthmaster is good enough. My answer is I have no idea. I've never sat down and compared it's sounds to those of Rick Wakeman's keyboards. And then that would only be my subjective opinion. That is the reason for this thread in the first place to maybe find people who ARE knowledgeable enough of the Yes sound to advise me. I mean if I already knew the answers I wouldn't have started this thread in the first place.

Makes sense?

If not, then I'm sorry. I truly don't know what you want me to say.

You already have basically you bases covered in what concerns Bass, Keyboards and Drums. That pedal steel guitar may be what you need for the tabletop guitar. For the portuguese guitar, I think you will have a hard time. There was once a guy here that made a Kontakt instrument with a sampled portuguese guitar, but he vanished (I tried to contact him unsuccessfuly). It's a shame, because the protuguese guitar is fascintating and there's nothing closer to it I'm aware of.

The closest you can get is with a mandolin (but nevertheless far from being the same thing). You have here an article where you can get more information about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_guitar

Also, the 12-string guitar he uses is not the regular american folk 12-string. The body is closer to that of a classical guitar.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:You already have basically you bases covered in what concerns Bass, Keyboards and Drums. That pedal steel guitar may be what you need for the tabletop guitar. For the portuguese guitar, I think you will have a hard time. There was once a guy here that made a Kontakt instrument with a sampled portuguese guitar, but he vanished (I tried to contact him unsuccessfuly). It's a shame, because the protuguese guitar is fascintating and there's nothing closer to it I'm aware of.

The closest you can get is with a mandolin (but nevertheless far from being the same thing). You have here an article where you can get more information about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_guitar

Also, the 12-string guitar he uses is not the regular american folk 12-string. The body is closer to that of a classical guitar.
Well, if I don't have a Portuguese guitar on the recording I don't think anybody is going to crucify me for it. As for the mandolin, I have one that is in one of my EWQL libraries.

wagtunes wrote: Well, if I don't have a Portuguese guitar on the recording I don't think anybody is going to crucify me for it. As for the mandolin, I have one that is in one of my EWQL libraries.
Of course not, although I would love you to have it :wink: Depending how you play, you can get the virtual mandolin to sound like a portuguese guitar, if played in the lower register (a 12-string guitar, played on the higher registers with a somehow slightly "darker" timbre will also make it, I guess)
Last edited by fmr on Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Well, if I don't have a Portuguese guitar on the recording I don't think anybody is going to crucify me for it. As for the mandolin, I have one that is in one of my EWQL libraries.
Of course not, although I would love you to have it :wink:
I would love to have a $100,000 studio. But if wishes were horses beggars would ride. Or as Sheldon Cooper would say, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas.

wagtunes wrote: I would love to have a $100,000 studio.
If I had a $100,000 studio, I would sell it :borg:
Fernando (FMR)

wagtunes wrote:
I'm sorry. The only question I noticed you asked was if Synthmaster is good enough. My answer is I have no idea. I've never sat down and compared it's sounds to those of Rick Wakeman's keyboards. And then that would only be my subjective opinion. That is the reason for this thread in the first place to maybe find people who ARE knowledgeable enough of the Yes sound to advise me. I mean if I already knew the answers I wouldn't have started this thread in the first place.

Makes sense?

I think the Mellotron sounds that Nori made for SM sound great. I am a big Yes fan by the way, so I have their music basically drilled in my brain forever. The bank(s) he created for SM are way cheaper than the GForce M-Tron, as they are only $11 a piece.

Here's another one that has some "Close to the Edge" type of synth sounds on it:
https://soundcloud.com/kv331synthmaster ... expansions

Examigan wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

Makes sense?

I think the Mellotron sounds that Nori made for SM sound great. I am a big Yes fan by the way, so I have their music basically drilled in my brain forever. The bank(s) he created for SM are way cheaper than the GForce M-Tron, as they are only $11 a piece.

Here's another one that has some "Close to the Edge" type of synth sounds on it:
https://soundcloud.com/kv331synthmaster ... expansions
Well, I think I should have these but I'll have to check.

minimonsta had a large collection of moog presets designed by Rick Wakeman

fmr wrote:
wagtunes wrote: I would love to have a $100,000 studio.
If I had a $100,000 studio, I would sell it :borg:

$100,000 wouldn't really get me much, I'd still need at least a million for the rest.
:borg:

syntmaster is a great sounding synth. all your minimoogs: Minimonsta, mini V, Diva, Monark also OPX pro II has a lot of famous patches not any that I see as being copies of yes sounds but it is a bad ass VSTI as well.

Sampletron is another tron product and last time I looked there was a tron sound in the older free version of sampletank and they may have that sample still in their free version that they offer people now.

It was a better free tron sound than any other I found when I was using it years back. I own sample tank and sampletron now and I am happy with it.

I know the wakeman patches in minimonsta could theoretically be learned from and used in other vsti and ditto all of the moog patches in other vsti. Translating the patches should not be that difficult.

yessongs wrote:syntmaster is a great sounding synth. all your minimoogs: Minimonsta, mini V, Diva, Monark also OPX pro II has a lot of famous patches not any that I see as being copies of yes sounds but it is a bad ass VSTI as well.

Sampletron is another tron product and last time I looked there was a tron sound in the older free version of sampletank and they may have that sample still in their free version that they offer people now.

It was a better free tron sound than any other I found when I was using it years back. I own sample tank and sampletron now and I am happy with it.

I know the wakeman patches in minimonsta could theoretically be learned from and used in other vsti and ditto all of the moog patches in other vsti. Translating the patches should not be that difficult.
First off, I love the forum name. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out.

This is going to be a long process.

wagtunes wrote:
yessongs wrote:syntmaster is a great sounding synth. all your minimoogs: Minimonsta, mini V, Diva, Monark also OPX pro II has a lot of famous patches not any that I see as being copies of yes sounds but it is a bad ass VSTI as well.

First off, I love the forum name. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out.

This is going to be a long process.
Sampletron is still 32-bit, and Wagtunes said his DAW has issues with 32-bit plugins.
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sa ... tron-specs

Move Yourself
You always live your life
Never thinking of the future
Prove yourself
You are the move you make
Take your chances win or loser
See yourself
You are the steps you take...

If you can have a perfect YES set up VSTs...
then what about:

Shadows and Hank Marvin: any VST for Brian Bennett's massive Mountains of the Moon drums? Or Hank's guitar?
Or what about Jethro Tull? VST for Ian Anderson's flute?
:D

Return to “Instruments”