Love regained (synths you're having a renaissance with)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Numanoid wrote:Got some love back for Alchemy, with SSD and a faster processor, I manage to load it up in FL Studio in less than 10 seconds, which makes it a lot more hands on for sure.

And as it works in Windows 10, I know I will be able to use it until 2025 8)
And the love haven't died yet.

The Win 10 anniversary update didn't make any dent in it

I shall be able to get the milage out of the money I paid for it no doubt, they future proofed it rather well :)

Occasionally get back to Charlatan, and i'm always surprised how good it sounds, even the unison/supersaw is every bit as good as Sylenth1's e.g. What a shame that it's such a limited synth apart from that. Would love to see that sound engine in something bigger.

Well, I still like a lot Reaktor synths sounds, but I sold Skanner XT (or did I donated?! I forgot!). Anyway, I had big GAS lately to re buy (for the third or fourth time :smack: NI Massive, so I bought it from the 2nd hand market). I really fell in love again with it :) Not only that but I'm trying to re-buy FM8 and Absynth 5.

The thing is what I favour has changed somehow after I bought the HS7 monitors! So, it really matters how you monitor your sounds. Some synths sounds brilliant with headphones, but with enough big monitors, they just sound normal or average, while some synths like Massive, FM8 and Absynth sound average or below other synths in headphones, they do sound great with monitors :D

So, yeah! Back to my first 'soft' love (FM7/8 and Absynth). Massive is also great. I won't be stupid again to sell them :hihi:

EnGee wrote:Well, I still like a lot Reaktor synths sounds, but I sold Skanner XT (or did I donated?! I forgot!). Anyway, I had big GAS lately to re buy (for the third or fourth time :smack: NI Massive, so I bought it from the 2nd hand market). I really fell in love again with it :) Not only that but I'm trying to re-buy FM8 and Absynth 5.

The thing is what I favour has changed somehow after I bought the HS7 monitors! So, it really matters how you monitor your sounds. Some synths sounds brilliant with headphones, but with enough big monitors, they just sound normal or average, while some synths like Massive, FM8 and Absynth sound average or below other synths in headphones, they do sound great with monitors :D

So, yeah! Back to my first 'soft' love (FM7/8 and Absynth). Massive is also great. I won't be stupid again to sell them :hihi:
Don't you lose money when you sell and buy the same plugin repeatedly? When you are rich, why sell stuff in the first place? :hihi:

Indeed, and I sometimes wonder which sound is the real sound so to speak, the one on the headphones or the one on loudspeakers, I assume the one on my headphones, which are more objective...

fluffy_little_something wrote:
EnGee wrote:Well, I still like a lot Reaktor synths sounds, but I sold Skanner XT (or did I donated?! I forgot!). Anyway, I had big GAS lately to re buy (for the third or fourth time :smack: NI Massive, so I bought it from the 2nd hand market). I really fell in love again with it :) Not only that but I'm trying to re-buy FM8 and Absynth 5.

Don't you lose money when you sell and buy the same plugin repeatedly? When you are rich, why sell stuff in the first place? :hihi:

Indeed, and I sometimes wonder which sound is the real sound so to speak, the one on the headphones or the one on loudspeakers, I assume the one on my headphones, which are more objective...
I don't loose that much. Sometimes I win little bit :P anyway, selling and buying is part of the hobby (which is not strange for you! How many times you bought and sold Sylenth, your everlasting love :hihi: )

I really advise you to save and buy good monitors (6.5" or 8") and leave the headphones because it is also better for the health. I don't have headaches now even if I stay listening for 8 hours! While I feel fatigue after half an hour only with the headphones.

Huh? I bought and sold Sylenth1 exactly one time, and I don't think I will ever buy it again in its current state and at its current price...

Well, I like my headphones, there is a lot of noise here in my apartment and from the street, so I need my headphones to block all the noise, especially when making patches. Headphones also help me to avoid using too much reverb as they seem to highlight reverb more strongly.

I'm getting reacquainted with Rapture & Z3ta+ (the 1st versions). I got these from Computer Music when they were featured on the mag, but never really dove into them. However... the more I use them, the more I see how versatile they are.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Numanoid wrote:DirectWave, it is a proper old school sample player hidden under all the bloat :love:
Nice. Easy interface :) Too bad it doesn't export in anything but directwave format, it would be perfect for me if it did. Still, I'll add it to my pile and consider converting to it..would take a lot of work to do that though.

layzer wrote:
ariston wrote:Steinberg Neon. It's got that classic 1999 vibe that really hasn't been nailed by modern emulations. The aliasing is one of a kind!
i haven't found anything that compares to it.

i started my love affair with Onepingonly again recently and now i feel torn between 2 lovers,
feeling like a fool :cry:
I can beat you both by using the notorious Steinberg USM (Universal Sound Module VST!) that came with the Cubase VST Score CDROM back in the day :hihi:
It was hated, cursed and loathed buy every "decent" musician as a lowly shitty GM thing -- however now I found that it actually has multiple audio outputs, is multitimbral and sounds a bit like I'm playing the internal little sound-card of my laptop without the latency! :-P I especially love the GM drum sounds -- having the multiple audio outputs (all 16 of them!) means that I can heavily process its basic sounds with EQ and all the modern VST fx at our disposal nowadays. Needless to say, this thing's CPU consumption is almost zero -- Also, as nobody else is using it (very few still have it, it's not included in the Steinberg Classics collection) I believe I have a somewhat "unique" sound source here :hihi: -- I made a song with it (and lots of processing) some days ago. Amazing what the TAL-Chorus-LX and a bit of good reverb made out of those humble USM strings! :D
www.youtube.com/Synthillator
er... keep on rocking (despite all obstacles :shrug: ) :band2:

Just opened the beloved (and only!) VAZ Modular to check an idea I knew I had before.

Crawling through the presets and banks I've created through the years I found some patches made back in 1999. :shock:

No question: This synth is a lifelong pal. :love:

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

Waldorf Largo. Superb filters & wavetables, loads of modulation. Criminally under-rated.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Aiynzahev wrote:Waldorf Largo. Superb filters & wavetables, loads of modulation. Criminally under-rated.
yeah +1

I have Spire in my life again. :hug:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Ableton Operator - the ability to set the exact phase of each waveform makes it a killer for percussive sounds. You can make great kicks with one instance of operator and a limiter. A different workflow with the same sound engine and it would be considered an awesome drum synth.

The filter drive takes it up a notch, and now that Ableton has added the additional Cytomic filters it's a gem. Could use just one or two little upgrades (a filter bypass per oscillator, for example), but that's nit-picking.

Return to “Instruments”