KVR Dev Challenge 2016!

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Maybe making an emulation of old shitty gear is just too difficult.

Well, frankly, some of the most successful filters of all time where to simulate proper film grain and lens flares, both of which are undesirable in the real world/analogue gear, but their simulation still remains highly favored. :shrug: ...I shouldn't be the advocate for it, but it's just a reality.

BUT I'm truly on the forward thinking train, especially if I get to catch up with my DSP understanding. "Damn you complex numbers!" :tantrum:

Actually special FX filters like film grain are nowhere near the most used tools in a professional photo processing workflow.

Film, .jon, film! I'm a visual fx veteran, trust me! ;)

The point of the analogy was that emulating old shit right down to the shitty user interface isn't the main focus of imaging industry, like it is on KVR :)

I understood the point, but was hoping to moderate your tone a tiny bit, because those "retro" guys really go at it with great passion and expertise and Ivan's explanation for why they pursue that and how it is easier to market those emulations was very informative. Before you fly off the handle, I'm still with you on that, because I personally really just don't care about those emulations that much. I want creative tools, ways in which I can create and tweak sounds to my liking, possibly in inspiring ways or with access to other aspects of the sound, finding ways to evolve the listening sensation... all of that.

Anyway...I'm happy, if I can offer my part to that future! It's what I intend to do! :)

Ivan_C wrote: Thanks for sharing :wink: Indeed, it's an area without a lot of products, but the problem there in my opinion isn't just that the existing products aren't freeware, more than it sounds really complicated to do a correct emulation of electric guitar played with a MIDI keyboard... And a lot of the people who might want to do something there play already guitar :lol:
All guitar libraries require both fairly good keyboard playing skills and (at least some) guitar playing knowledge. They're not beginner friendly. But I'm talking about a piano roll ready guitar type of plugin - that would allow a person that doesn't know how to actually play a guitar to just input notes and end up with a distorted guitar riff. Not something with tons of articulations and variation and whatnot, just a metal tone good enough for basic riffing. RG does that, but laks more variation in the distorted department, and of course, it's commercial.

As for your other comments, I know how pressing working under a tight schedule can get. I've done my share of OSCs around here. Ok, not exactly the same thing, but I get the point. On the other hand though, ppl are entitled to their own opinion ;) And let's be honest: at the end of the day, all creators do it because they like the entire process and they would have done it regardless of having enticements or not - you do it for yourself firslty, and if there are ppl interested in your work that's fine, but if not, you keep doing it because that's your thing & your passion in life. It would be sad if we'd all make music just for getting praises, instead of doing it simply because we love doing it :)
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

As for your other comments, I know how pressing working under a tight schedule can get. I've done my share of OSCs around here. Ok, not exactly the same thing, but I get the point. On the other hand though, ppl are entitled to their own opinion ;) And let's be honest: at the end of the day, all creators do it because they like the entire process and they would have done it regardless of having enticements or not - you do it for yourself firslty, and if there are ppl interested in your work that's fine, but if not, you keep doing it because that's your thing & your passion in life. It would be sad if we'd all make music just for getting praises, instead of doing it simply because we love doing it
I agree totally with you, and I forgot to say that all the audio devs I know are doing this job because they are really really passionate before anything else :wink:
All guitar libraries require both fairly good keyboard playing skills and (at least some) guitar playing knowledge. They're not beginner friendly. But I'm talking about a piano roll ready guitar type of plugin - that would allow a person that doesn't know how to actually play a guitar to just input notes and end up with a distorted guitar riff. Not something with tons of articulations and variation and whatnot, just a metal tone good enough for basic riffing. RG does that, but laks more variation in the distorted department, and of course, it's commercial.
You know, I have been demoing the ROLI keyboard a few times in the last weeks (I don't own one and don't plan to for the moment). I don't like that much their synthesizers, but I was impressed by the things you could do with it and its "extra degrees of expression" to make a virtual orchestral instrument sound more realistic without the need of tons of editing + knowledge in real-time playing. I wonder if it would be useful too with electric guitar modeling VSTis. I don't think the guys who released this kind of products haven't done already a lot in the scripting side, and I wonder if having something else than a MIDI keyboard would help a little there too to get that extra realism, in real-time playing, with a very easy learning curve...

Ah, those seaboards, or what they're called? Jeeez, I'd love one of those for sure, but I would really want an alternative to their 16 channel solution, like other routing approaches that would allow using the vast amount of open midi control channels instead, for example. But that's definitely the wrong thread to make it a discussion.

Hey, I don't mean to plug my little LotS example at this point, but have you experimented with it, yet, or listened to my quick demo doodles?! I'm pretty amazed by how natural it feels...kind of unusually alive, simply because of the performance features of modwheel scrubbing and held note pitch bending. I think, there's some good potential to transfer such ideas into more complex synthesis, like guitar for example. Shouldn't be a far cry... :shrug: :hyper:

@Ivan_C: Downloaded the new version of spacedelay with the new presets, but the presets are not visible in the selector box. Only the nice delay preset is shown.

Did you updated both the plug-in itself in your vstplugins folder AND the preset folder at the same time ? The "nice delay" doesn't exist anymore in the new version of the preset folder. You should be able to see the tutorial now also, when you click on the Spaceship Delay logo ;)

Thanks, you're right, I only updated the VST folder.

Hi Ivan,

thanks a lot for the update!
Here (Win 7 64 Bit, FL Studio 64 Bit) everything is working flawlessly. Did not try the 32 Version though.

The tutorial is really great. It helps a lot - and I like the idea that it is embedded.
The presets also do wonders especially after having read the tutorial.

Great effort - now I'm off playing with the thing.

Will be in my vote for sure :party:
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”