So another plugin bundle released as subscription plan

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

incubus wrote:Even if I was a mad-crack head and decided to try sonar again, fiddy a month is WAY too much.
Yeah, that would be a brand-new non-upgrade subscription for Platinum, the single most expensive possible option out of a fairly large number of alternatives.

Professional is half that, and loses minimal functionality, and Artist is half again, both as new, non-upgrade subscriptions. Upgrade subscriptions, obviously, are significantly cheaper, and of course, once you've paid for one of them for 12 months you own it outright; you only need to stay in the subscription if you want access to the rolling updates.
OFFICIAL free competition : If you' see martiu post 'why you mad homie' or similar after this post, you are a prizewinner, and a free reverb plugin is yours. PM martiu immediately, and ask for your prize. He'll give it to you, baby!

incubus wrote:Let's play "hows your hyperbole!"..................

"subscriptions are terrible" (says the pirate that smokes illegal 20 times too potent dope, supports graffiti, likes "the wire" and likes bullies) :hihi:

There is nothing "wrong" with subscriptions. They don't force you to do anything. What's next, alien weed buds stole your moms credit card number? :roll:

Berkley is waiting for you :lol:
Being so naive is beautiful. :hihi:

I pay to upgrade Cubase and Komplete when new versions come out. It is usually about $99 US for Cubase and similar for Komplete if I am willing to wait half a year or so for a sale. How often do the updates come for those, perhaps once a year for Cubase and slightly longer for Komplete? I also have payed upgrade to Reaktor 6 (I could not pass up blocks), RP Blue, and a few other choice plugins.

TBH I am not sure I get all that much more out of the version upgrades of Cubase and Komplete than I did at original purchase. The upgrades are sort of like a subscription but different. The difference is that I have a working version of the software if I do not spring for the upgrade right away. AFAIK the fact that this would not be the case was why some independent photographers were not happy with the Adobe subscription model. It forced them to make a purchase (cash outlay) for a Photoshop subscription independent of their cash input stream when otherwise they could wait for the times when work is good. Large companies can afford to pay on a schedule due to the cash flow buffer.

So, anyway, for me as a hobby music production guy I am not interested in subscriptions, but I will definitely pay for upgrades.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

The only really sensible cloud offer I've seen in the audio world is the EastWest Composer Cloud. It allows you to demo and use their libraries or an extended time, and only buy later the ones that you really use in your compositions. For that usage, it's a cool offer. And given the huge amount of material they offer, the price isn't excessive in my opinion.

lolilol1975 wrote:

"subscriptions are terrible" (says the pirate that smokes illegal 20 times too potent dope, supports graffiti, likes "the wire" and likes bullies) :hihi:

There is nothing "wrong" with subscriptions. They don't force you to do anything. What's next, alien weed buds stole your moms credit card number? :roll:

Seriously? I mean, I just responded to the "no dongle" thing but didn't realize you were one of "those" people.

Can't wait to hear your mixes :hihi:

incubus wrote:
lolilol1975 wrote:

Seriously? I mean, I just responded to the "no dongle" thing but didn't realize you were one of "those" people.
Which people ? Pirates ? You're wrong. As you are wrong on the "choice", as has been explained very well before. For some greedy companies, the choice is merely a transition to cloud only, which leave you completely captive once they decide to go full cloud. That's of course if the cloud experiment proves successful.
Can't wait to hear your mixes :hihi:
You will, since I'll probably submit a thing to the KVR mixing challenge. Done with only free and Toneboosters plugins, which I'm sure you're completely unable to distinguish from other more expensive plugins.

A bit late to the topic, but it remains very relevant as other players join the subscription party. Kush (with only 4 or 5 plugins!!!!) and Softube are the most recent entries.

I don't think subscriptions are good for users and I don't think developers can survive with the very high turnover. Most people (specially young people) don't want 15 or 20 bills every month (the number of subscriptions needed in order to replace the average number of plugins used by most people).

There is a good chance subscriptions will Harm developers more than users.

Not sure what the real issue is here.
You can still purchase all of these products outright if you so wish, the sub option is there for people who would prefer it, but it is not compulsory.
I understand that some people have said that they feel some developers are pushing the sub model, but that doesn't change the fact that it is the consumer's choice whether they choose to subscribe or whether to purchase a perpetual license.

ftech wrote:Not sure what the real issue is here.
You can still purchase all of these products outright if you so wish, the sub option is there for people who would prefer it, but it is not compulsory.
There is no issue - people are just offering their opinion (call it a "review") on plugin subscriptions. Not every review is going to be positive (or negative, for that matter). I find this type of dialog very enlightening and useful.

irvin wrote:
ftech wrote:Not sure what the real issue is here.
There is no issue - people are just offering their opinion (call it a "review") on plugin subscriptions. Not every review is going to be positive (or negative, for that matter). I find this type of dialog very enlightening and useful.
That's fair enough. :tu:

Good god.

Who cares? It's not a bug (which nobody seems to care about) and it's not a fault in use (which nobody seems to care about)

Forgive me for being touchy, but I get really pissed that serious issues get swept aside as being a "hater" and this nonsense get's drudged up for absolutely no reason.

And I've been told I need to get a life? :roll:

Return to “Effects”