Advice on Komplete?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Guitar Rig's effects are just amp emulations, no convolution, no waveshaping options just amps.
The Control Room Pro component features speaker impulses from Redwirez. The Vintage Verb model is likewise convolution based. Finally there's Reflektor, which is of course a convolution reverb.

Not to mention all the effects which are not in any way amp emulations.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

As opposed to inkomplete advice? You should...
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

mumpcake wrote:
Guitar Rig's effects are just amp emulations, no convolution, no waveshaping options just amps.
The Control Room Pro component features speaker impulses from Redwirez. The Vintage Verb model is likewise convolution based. Finally there's Reflektor, which is of course a convolution reverb.

Not to mention all the effects which are not in any way amp emulations.
Also, distortion box models *are* waveshapers.

ew
A spectral heretic...

rod_zero wrote:Getting select to later update to standard is a good idea, you could upgrade in the summer sale for 50% less.
Hmm, that I hadn't considered. So if I went that route, I could spend $200 on select and then $200 this summer on the upgrade, seems like it would be worthwhile. I can wait til summer to do this...I want to get the most bang for the buck. Also when I buy select I can sell off my Massive license and I bet I could get over $100 for it. To me Komplete would be totally worth it at $300...I don't see myself getting Ultimate, a bit too pricey for me. Perhaps summer sale 2018 for that.
Last edited by SoundGoddess on Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ good luck ~
~ re~member to do good in a spirit of love, unity, compassion, and kindness ~

wagtunes wrote:I was gonna stay out of this but you tried helping me so I'll try to return the favor.

You're going to find with Komplete that there is a ton of stuff that you're probably never going to use. I have it. I'm not sorry I got it but I'd have to say if I'm honest that 75% of it I have never used and probably never will use. You're better off getting dedicated instruments that you know you're going to make use of even if, monetarily, it's not as good a "value." Because ultimately, value is only as good as what you make of it. So if you spend $1,000 on a package that individually would have cost you $2,500 but only use $300 worth of that $2,500, spending that $1,000 probably wasn't your best use of your funds.
Hmm you make a good point, but by the same token even though I don't use all of V-collection I like having the option to. Same with when I have EWQL CC. So if I can finagle a good deal on Kontakt 11 I doubt I would regret owning it.
~ good luck ~

jancivil wrote:
Perhaps you are referring to this clause from Heavyocity:
Use of unmodified Samples appearing in isolation such as, but not limited to, in video game soundtracks, gaming machines, and/or toys (where they may appear in isolation or as sound effects) is not permitted without first obtaining a separate written license
(which may be issued at the sole discretion of Owner).
That doesn't seem all that restrictve to me. NI's EULA is even less restrictive than this.
Kinh wrote: Yeah, that's what I was referring to. To me that's just a slap in the face. I mean you spend $$$ on their products and lets face it they aint cheap and you need their permission to use them. That's just plain rude. So if you use them without their consent they sue you. Brilliant.
No, you don't understand. Restricting samples 'unmodified appearing in isolation' is standard throughout the industry. If you make music with it, not a problem. The restriction is that you won't be essentially repackaging their samples. "in a gaming machine/toys" should have been a clue.
Yeah this is how I interpret it. Like not using one of their WAVs as the jump sound in your new platformer without asking for permission first. That is not the same thing as using their stuff to compose your game's soundtrack, which the license as I read it seems to be totally fine with. They just don't want to water down their IP, they're not saying that you can only use it for non-commercial music, that would be more likely in an EDU or NFR EULA.
~ good luck ~

ew wrote:
@ the original poster- is it worth the investment? Personally, I think it is. Yeah, it's a lot of money for standard vs select, and some of the choices for instruments are weird; I'll agree with Kinh on having five pianos where two or three and something else would make more sense. But for the price, you get a lot.

ew
Yeah I think I will get it at some point in 2017 just want to wait for sales. Also I am female, lol ;)
~ good luck ~

Some Plugins from Komplete (especially Kontakt) do not run very well for me on Bitwig. In 3 hours of work with say 4 instances of Kontakt there is at least 2-3 crashes for me. Also the Audio Engine stops sometimes when opening Kontakt and having a lot of plugins running already. Im running Bitwig on a macbook with sierra, maybe its not a problem with windows. Also, i've got the feeling Kontakt and Reaktor do not load as fast in Bitwig as in Logic or Ableton.

SoundGoddess wrote:
jancivil wrote:
Perhaps you are referring to this clause from Heavyocity:
Use of unmodified Samples appearing in isolation such as, but not limited to, in video game soundtracks, gaming machines, and/or toys (where they may appear in isolation or as sound effects) is not permitted without first obtaining a separate written license
That doesn't seem all that restrictve to me. NI's EULA is even less restrictive than this.
Kinh wrote: Yeah, that's what I was referring to. To me that's just a slap in the face. I mean you spend $$$ on their products and lets face it they aint cheap and you need their permission to use them. That's just plain rude. So if you use them without their consent they sue you. Brilliant.
No, you don't understand. Restricting samples 'unmodified appearing in isolation' is standard throughout the industry. If you make music with it, not a problem. The restriction is that you won't be essentially repackaging their samples. "in a gaming machine/toys" should have been a clue.
Yeah this is how I interpret it. Like not using one of their WAVs as the jump sound in your new platformer without asking for permission first. That is not the same thing as using their stuff to compose your game's soundtrack, which the license as I read it seems to be totally fine with. They just don't want to water down their IP, they're not saying that you can only use it for non-commercial music, that would be more likely in an EDU or NFR EULA.
I was referring to the loops of Heavyocity products and it seems the loops cannot be used commercialially unless accompanied by at least 2 other musical instruments. Im not sure if that means for a few seconds in isolation (like a drumfill) or not. That's my only concern. I might just ask them as Ive finished a track using Damage loops as fills recently. They've got a 50% sale now which is rare.
Obviously if you use an Aeon preset as the whole track in a movie scene it's wrong. But for a few seconds? :?

Kinh wrote::
I was referring to the loops of Heavyocity products and it seems the loops cannot be used commercialially unless accompanied by at least 2 other musical instruments. Im not sure if that means for a few seconds in isolation (like a drumfill) or not. That's my only concern. I might just ask them as Ive finished a track using Damage loops as fills recently. Obviously if you use an Aeon preset as the whole track in a movie scene it's wrong. But for a few seconds? :?
The licence doesn't mention movies, only games and toys. In these the sound samples are often stored as discrete entities (making them easy to extract) and not as part of a continuous soundtrack.

Kinh wrote: I was referring to the loops of Heavyocity products and it seems the loops cannot be used commercialially unless accompanied by at least 2 other musical instruments. Im not sure if that means for a few seconds in isolation (like a drumfill) or not. That's my only concern. I might just ask them as Ive finished a track using Damage loops as fills recently. They've got a 50% sale now which is rare.
Obviously if you use an Aeon preset as the whole track in a movie scene it's wrong. But for a few seconds? :?
Hmm well I don't worry about stuff like that. But if it bothers you that much then go ahead email them to get clarification on it rather than assuming the worst.
~ good luck ~

@SoundGoddess - there are demos for almost every plug-in of Komplete and there are either written or Youtube reviews for most of Kontakt libraries that come with Komplete.

In short, I'd say it's best bundle on the planet, but that's just a personal opinion and even if you might agree some day you surely won't right away. Some tools may take a bit getting used to, some may not be your cup of tea.

What I like about these instruments is their longevity - Kontakt, Massive, Absynth, FM8, Guitar Rig, Battery & Reaktor are the centre of my setup and I've used them (or earlier versions) for 10 - 15 years. And with careful backups of presets I can still open projects that are that old - that doesn't happen with a lot other plug-ins. (And I might agree with some - sorry for the simplification - "NI haters", that these instruments aren't perfect and having used them for so long I know what and where something's wrong with them, but I still don't see that the competing products are any better - or maybe I have gotten used to the quirks too much :lol:)

There may be some aspects in which one might think they're dated (mostly GUI related things and that's true), but feature-wise and in terms of sound quality I think they still stand the test of time. To me it's always a good indicator seeing how many preset libraries are still being created for Massive, Absynth and also FM8. And there is nothing that rivals Kontakt.

For creating film & TV scores I think, having Komplete (and Omnisphere/Trillian/Stylus) are a must - everybody seems to have at least these products. If you look at the price and what tey offer, I'd still go the NI route first, as it offers more value/diversity for the money. However, noone likes a wrong investment, so the best thing still would be to take your time and to try them out. Then you can estimate, if and with which version of Komplete you might want to start...

(Btw - not sure, if you've mentioned Komplete Kontrol and the keyboards, but for these I would wait for new versions)

SoundGoddess wrote:
Kinh wrote: I was referring to the loops of Heavyocity products and it seems the loops cannot be used commercialially unless accompanied by at least 2 other musical instruments. Im not sure if that means for a few seconds in isolation (like a drumfill) or not. That's my only concern. I might just ask them as Ive finished a track using Damage loops as fills recently. They've got a 50% sale now which is rare.
Hmm well I don't worry about stuff like that. But if it bothers you that much then go ahead email them to get clarification on it rather than assuming the worst.
I wasn't directing that at you. Mind your own business. :lol:

loachm wrote:(Btw - not sure, if you've mentioned Komplete Kontrol and the keyboards, but for these I would wait for new versions)
Oh, are MKIIs in the pipeline?
~ good luck ~

Return to “Instruments”