How to get a smooth saw in Spire

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dúnedain wrote:
exmatproton wrote:
Dúnedain wrote:
Dúnedain wrote:While I'm on it: could it be the Spire filters have a little delay of about 50 - 100 ms? For example the perfecto LP4 filter.
Anyone? I do not want to make a new thread for this.
I think you can use a mseg for that in the mod matrix.

*edit* LOL, spire doesn't have a MSEG. My mistake. Do you need a delay on the envelope? Because you could use the stepper for that in the modmatrix (that is what i meant; the stepper :P)
No, not at all. I expect no one wants a delay on its filter.
What did you mean by "delay in the filter" anyway?

Dúnedain wrote:
exmatproton wrote:
Dúnedain wrote:
Dúnedain wrote:While I'm on it: could it be the Spire filters have a little delay of about 50 - 100 ms? For example the perfecto LP4 filter.

*edit* LOL, spire doesn't have a MSEG. My mistake. Do you need a delay on the envelope? Because you could use the stepper for that in the modmatrix (that is what i meant; the stepper :P)
Wow...i need to read better.....sry :P

chk071 wrote:
Dúnedain wrote:
exmatproton wrote:
Dúnedain wrote:

What did you mean by "delay in the filter" anyway?
The filter I mentioned seems to work only about 50 - 100 milliseconds after a note is played. That is strange, isn't it?
Dúnedain

chk071 wrote:Z3TA also shows the shape of the produced waveform, but that display isn't an oscilloscope either. Why waste processing power for an oscilloscope when it it doesn't display the waveform shape in realtime anyway? Z3TA, Helix, Largo, Sylenth1, all those show the waveform, and the shape, when modulated by waveshapers, but, that's not the same as putting an oscilloscope on the output, or even somewhere else, and showing the waveform in realtime. It is just the shape of the produced waveform, before any processing, and it isn't measured either, but rather a calculated display. You'd have to ask developers how exactly that works though.
I agree :D

But that doesn't mean it can't be an oscilloscope :clown: Besides, a second osc (always on) before the whole audio chain won't cost that much proc-power. And it only needs 1 voice, without pitching.

example in Reaktor:
oscPLUSscope.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by exmatproton on Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dúnedain wrote: The filter I mentioned seems to work only about 50 - 100 milliseconds after a note is played. That is strange, isn't it?
Do you have an audio example?? I never heard something like that with spire

He may be referring to the audible click which is produced even at the fully closed filter when the attack of the amp env is zero or very close to it . It may be caused by that the first milliseconds of the attack phase escape the filter (actually in most cases when I design sounds which are supposed to have fast attack in Spire I set amp envelope attack at about 11).
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:He may be referring to the audible click which is produced even at the fully closed filter when the attack of the amp env is zero or very close to it . It may be caused by that the first milliseconds of the attack phase escape the filter (actually in most cases when I design sounds which are supposed to have fast attack in Spire I set amp envelope attack at about 11).
Ah..yeah. The lack of ZDF filters in Spire. At least, i think it's due to that.

exmatproton wrote:
Dúnedain wrote: The filter I mentioned seems to work only about 50 - 100 milliseconds after a note is played. That is strange, isn't it?
Do screenshots help ?

At the beginning:

After say about 500 ms:

This is the patch:
Dúnedain

recursive one wrote:He may be referring to the audible click which is produced even at the fully closed filter when the attack of the amp env is zero or very close to it . It may be caused by that the first milliseconds of the attack phase escape the filter (actually in most cases when I design sounds which are supposed to have fast attack in Spire I set amp envelope attack at about 11).
I love those clicks, actually. :) Every synth should have those. IMO, it's rather due to the lack of fast envelopes, that other synths don't have that. Same with the click at the start phase of a sine wave, when you set phase regriggering, and the phase starts at the "high" or "low" point of the waveform. Not many synths are capable of producing that, which is a shame really. Bulent from KV331 Audio commented on that once, and he wrote that Synthmaster hadn't fast enough envelopes to do that, which is supposed to be "fixed" in the newer versions though, i never tried it out though.

But, isn't that easy to measure anyway? If there would be something weird, or a delay in the filter, that would be pretty obvious in an oscilloscope, i guess. I'll try later.
Last edited by chk071 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dúnedain wrote:
exmatproton wrote:
Do screenshots help ?

At the beginning:

After say about 500 ms:

This is the patch:
That doesn't really tell much TBH, without some form of time display. What i can see though in the patch picture is that you left the attack phase of the amp envelope on the default value, which isn't 0.

What is surely absolute BS (sorry), is that the filter should be delayed by 500 ms. That's half a second man. Think for a second, and imagine if that really could be.

I do not claim it is delayed by 500 ms. Read more carefully please.

Also, I gave you time, you have 2 spectrum plots after all.
Dúnedain

Dúnedain wrote:I do not claim it is delayed by 500 ms. Read more carefully please.

Also, I gave you time, you have 2 spectrum plots after all.
Again, do you have an audio sample? I don't care about these graphs. We are talking -60dB here, if i am not mistaken. Please, audio will help to try to understand your "problem"

So you observe that the filter acts like it has an envelope having a sustain phase (more higher frequencies are filtered out as you hold the note) while in fact there is no envelope controlling the filter?

What if you make the same measurements without the filter at all?

Dúnedain wrote:
exmatproton wrote:
Do screenshots help ?

At the beginning:

After say about 500 ms:

This is the patch:
Well, you have the signal passing through the first filter and then making it's way to the second filter after that in that patch, so that could be the source of your filter delay observation.

Except that the first filter is tuned off. Do you think it still influences the singal?

I have a wild guess that it can be related to the drift turned on.

Return to “Instruments”