samplitude: threshold for audio to midi

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am wanting to generate a midi track from a recording of an ancient clock - the clock is a little irregular in its timing and I want to capture that. I right click on the audio and use Audio to Midi but it generates too many notes. I need to be able to set the threshold for conversion as the clock mechanism is quite noisy so the automatic algorithm is capture too much noise as if it were the clock tick and so there are far too many notes being generated. Is there a method to set an amplitude threshold so that only the loudest sounds are converted and the noise does not trigger a midi event?

thanks, woggle

If there isn't a slider for sensitivity I would try a gate plugin on audio track or clip, just for conversion.

I tried similar things with a bass track to midi on Waves Tune - and it was crowded with pitch wheels stuff and capture pitch of every transient and stuff. But after selecting all controllers and pitch events and removed, it was quite good.

Think melodyne has something like that too.

lfm wrote:If there isn't a slider for sensitivity I would try a gate plugin on audio track or clip, just for conversion.

I tried similar things with a bass track to midi on Waves Tune - and it was crowded with pitch wheels stuff and capture pitch of every transient and stuff. But after selecting all controllers and pitch events and removed, it was quite good.

thanks - I am trying the inbuilt gate but no luck translating that to a good set of midi notes. I generate a new track that is much cleaner but that still outputs much the same midi track as before.

The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Which version of Samplitude do you use? And which menu/setting do you use to output midi?

woggle wrote:
lfm wrote:If there isn't a slider for sensitivity I would try a gate plugin on audio track or clip, just for conversion.

thanks - I am trying the inbuilt gate but no luck translating that to a good set of midi notes. I generate a new track that is much cleaner but that still outputs much the same midi track as before.
Some good gates allow filtering of the trigger.
Otherwise, do a heavy bandfilter and narrow band to just get the essential part thorugh that you are interested in, maybe.

Seems the conversion is rather ambituous like I mentioned from pitchcorrectors. Cool in a way, if you can be a midi instrument to follow a voice wailing or something.

thanks everyone - that video link from Hink shows how easy it is. Samplitude is looking very impressive, the only bad thing I hear about it is stability - which one hears about almost everything so is very difficult to judge off the net/forums

very stable for me, in 10 years the only time I had serious issues was 2009 and that was a bad video card causing it. Maybe once or twice a year it just stops on me, cant even remember the last time though. :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:very stable for me, in 10 years the only time I had serious issues was 2009 and that was a bad video card causing it. Maybe once or twice a year it just stops on me, cant even remember the last time though. :shrug:
sounds good - in my excruciating attempt to shift to a new DAW Samplitude and Sonar are the standouts so far. Clip or object based editing plus good for audio to video composing and tempo mapping are probably the most important outside of the usual DAW stuff. Both Samplitude and Sonar cover those enough for my needs but Samplitude seems a little more polished on the interface and workflow.... at the moment. :)

Cheers woogle,

Just like to point to very helpful and well respected user "Kraznet"
and his Samp video tuts on YT, Hink is refering to:

https://www.youtube.com/user/kraznet/videos

If there are questions, Kraznet most likely adressed them somewhere down the line.
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

Hink wrote:very stable for me, in 10 years the only time I had serious issues was 2009 and that was a bad video card causing it. Maybe once or twice a year it just stops on me, cant even remember the last time though. :shrug:
Well I had problem with Waves VST3 and ProX2 - it crashes while scanning.
And Samp was listed as supporting VST3 at first, but Waves removed it - because Magix never fixed it. So you see even now ProX3 is VST only.

Looked the other day and saw that ProX3 came out, and still no fix for VST3 on ProX2. Just leaving things behind.

Samp also crashed Waves Element synth, which took 16 months before they fixed that.

Maintenance is the weak point of Magix as I see it.

And I think they go for video since Magix bought Sony Vegas etc to increase their market share for video.

Was there anything new in ProX3 apart from ARA and Melodyne?

I haven't upgraded to Pro X3 and tbh I have no VST3 plugins so I cant comment

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”