SynthMaster v2.9.8 released with 50 new cinematic presets by DeJaVu Sound

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SynthMaster 2

kv331 wrote:We are finally adding support for multiple resolutions! Wait for v2.8.8! Going from 100% to 200% is easy but we might release 150% as well:
SM Multiple Resolutions.jpg
100, 125%, 150% and 200% would be awesome :clap:
Last edited by lolilol1975 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chk071 wrote: I don't think the price point is the reason why it may be "underrated". Just my opinion, but, it just sounds dull to me. But then, i like synths with character. Synthmaster sounds "neutral", not a lot of character, and, somehow, "softsynthy". May be cool for some people, but, i like more edgy things. Fair enough, that's why we can be happy that we have the choice. If it was for the price, it would be the best bang for the buck you can get out of the current soft synths. But, if you don't happen to like the sound, then that is not very relevant.
If you add a couple of character compressor or EQ, it doesn't sound dull at all, it sounds pretty awesome in fact.
viewtopic.php?f=98&t=472404
This chain is a bit overkill, but it works well here.

chk071 wrote: I don't think the price point is the reason why it may be "underrated". Just my opinion, but, it just sounds dull to me. But then, i like synths with character. Synthmaster sounds "neutral", not a lot of character, and, somehow, "softsynthy".
I think the characterless UI is psyching you out. :ud: There's all kinds of character within - but, as you say, that is a matter of opinion. I've heard that said about Zebra, but I think, again...a characterless UI...the mind is a veeeery influenced being. We should close our eyes when we try out synths...like The Voice. :idea:

chk071 wrote: I don't think the price point is the reason why it may be "underrated". Just my opinion, but, it just sounds dull to me. But then, i like synths with character. Synthmaster sounds "neutral", not a lot of character, and, somehow, "softsynthy". May be cool for some people, but, i like more edgy things. Fair enough, that's why we can be happy that we have the choice. If it was for the price, it would be the best bang for the buck you can get out of the current soft synths. But, if you don't happen to like the sound, then that is not very relevant.
Did you check out version 2.8? and the latest ZDF filters? if sm is dull, what are your favourite ones that dont sound dull ?
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

lolilol1975 wrote:
If you add a couple of character compressor or EQ, it doesn't sound dull at all, it sounds pretty awesome in fact.
If i'd buy a guitar, and, after plugging it into my amp, and play with it, say that it sounds boring to me, would you also propose to process it to make it sound better? Or does it pretty much have to sound good to you, even without processing? Of course, i could apply effects to it, and work on it, to make it work. Or i could just use a synth which does work for me. In this case, i commented on why i believe that it may be a bit "underrated", because, frankly, if something is "underrated", then there are most likely reasons for it.
kv331 wrote:
Did you check out version 2.8? and the latest ZDF filters? if sm is dull, what are your favourite ones that dont sound dull ?
Nope, i didn't try the latest versions. Will do so. What i mean with dull, which is very subjective addmitedly, is, that i don't think it has a very special sound. Neither the oscillators, nor the filters (in earlier versions, i have no idea how the filters are now), nor the envelopes gave me the feeling of a lot of character. Now, if you'd ask me what is character, well, that's quite subjective too i guess. The Waldorf synths have a lot of character for example. Moog's synths. Oberheim. All have a different character. If you'd ask me what that character is, well, difficult to say. Waldorf's synth often have a pretty "airy" sound, a lot of beef, and pleasing sounding filters. Also, phasing of the oscillators seems to play a part. Moog's synths typically have quite rich sounding oscillators, a lot of bass, and also a nice filter sound, which is quite special. Oberheim synths sound very warm to me, and also a bit spacey.

Well, i guess that doesn't tell too much, especially as we all might understand something else about these things. Anyway, when i played with SM (before version 2.8, i always found that neither the analog waveforms sound too special, brilliant, or rich, nor the filters, and, as you also wrote once, the envelopes weren't too fast either. I know those are things you've been working, so i'll check the new version. I have a doubt that you reworked the whole synth though, right? :) I don't want to say that SM is bad with all that, anything but. I just want to say that, so far, it hasn't been for me. And as someone searched for reasons why it is "underrated", i proposed some reasons i'd think why that may be.

chk071 wrote:
lolilol1975 wrote:
If i'd buy a guitar, and, after plugging it into my amp, and play with it, say that it sounds boring to me, would you also propose to process it to make it sound better? Or does it pretty much have to sound good to you, even without processing? Of course, i could apply effects to it, and work on it, to make it work. Or i could just use a synth which does work for me. In this case, i commented on why i believe that it may be a bit "underrated", because, frankly, if something is "underrated", then there are most likely reasons for it.
kv331 wrote:
Nope, i didn't try the latest versions. Will do so. What i mean with dull, which is very subjective addmitedly, is, that i don't think it has a very special sound. Neither the oscillators, nor the filters (in earlier versions, i have no idea how the filters are now), nor the envelopes gave me the feeling of a lot of character. Now, if you'd ask me what is character, well, that's quite subjective too i guess. The Waldorf synths have a lot of character for example. Moog's synths. Oberheim. All have a different character. If you'd ask me what that character is, well, difficult to say. Waldorf's synth often have a pretty "airy" sound, a lot of beef, and pleasing sounding filters. Also, phasing of the oscillators seems to play a part. Moog's synths typically have quite rich sounding oscillators, a lot of bass, and also a nice filter sound, which is quite special. Oberheim synths sound very warm to me, and also a bit spacey.

Well, i guess that doesn't tell too much, especially as we all might understand something else about these things. Anyway, when i played with SM (before version 2.8, i always found that neither the analog waveforms sound too special, brilliant, or rich, nor the filters, and, as you also wrote once, the envelopes weren't too fast either. I know those are things you've been working, so i'll check the new version. I have a doubt that you reworked the whole synth though, right? :) I don't want to say that SM is bad with all that, anything but. I just want to say that, so far, it hasn't been for me. And as someone searched for reasons why it is "underrated", i proposed some reasons i'd think why that may be.

Try the latest version. Those new filters have done it for me :)

chk071 wrote: If i'd buy a guitar, and, after plugging it into my amp, and play with it, say that it sounds boring to me, would you also propose to process it to make it sound better? Or does it pretty much have to sound good to you, even without processing? Of course, i could apply effects to it, and work on it, to make it work. Or i could just use a synth which does work for me. In this case, i commented on why i believe that it may be a bit "underrated", because, frankly, if something is "underrated", then there are most likely reasons for it.
But maybe other synths apply similar treatments to make them sound warmer ?
In the end, it's the sound you get at the end of the chain that matters, isn't it ?
I'm saying that because I felt the same about SM. I used to find its sound somewhat dark and a bit dull on its own. But when you add some effects like that after it, it's no longer the case, it gets some oomph and it becomes a really cool and versatile synth for sound design.

Subtractive synths lives a lot from his filters, so add new good filters will make a 90% complete new sound. OSC waveform are a lot in SM, from Moog over Oberheim to ARP2600. And drift can you also adjust, so minimal tonal changes are easy to produce.

Check this presets here:
https://soundcloud.com/kv331synthmaster ... log-basics

Come on, synths are nothing close to acoustic instruments. A guitar has a bigger chance of sounding less "dull" just because it's acoustic, it's easier to modulate it's sound and it's more natural. You have to help a digital synth to sound great, and that is done using effects.

Jorgeelalto wrote:Come on, synths are nothing close to acoustic instruments. A guitar has a bigger chance of sounding less "dull" just because it's acoustic, it's easier to modulate it's sound and it's more natural. You have to help a digital synth to sound great, and that is done using effects.

...and theeeerrrrreeeee's your sign.

Dasheesh wrote:
Jorgeelalto wrote:Come on, synths are nothing close to acoustic instruments. A guitar has a bigger chance of sounding less "dull" just because it's acoustic, it's easier to modulate it's sound and it's more natural. You have to help a digital synth to sound great, and that is done using effects.

...and theeeerrrrreeeee's your sign.
I'm sorry I don't understand your comment, just a thing about english being a language I'm currently learning :hihi:

Someone else who think SM sounds to flat and dull?

Some of the demos, actually most of the demos for the various expansions sound like they were done with a synth from 2004. Were these done before the new filters?
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

I think only "BigTone Analog Basics" is using the new 2.8 Features.

HunterKiller wrote:Some of the demos, actually most of the demos for the various expansions sound like they were done with a synth from 2004. Were these done before the new filters?
correct! except BigTone Analog Basics.
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

Return to “Instruments”