FM? PM? PD? Which synth does what?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

while I do not want to discuss the techniques and maths of FM / PM / PD I wonder which hard and software synths use which approach? I start from what I know... :borg:

Zebra = PM, PD
FM8 = PM
Dexed = PM
Absynth = FM?
Aalto = FM
Bazille = FM/PM/PD

Yamaha-DX-Series = PM
rabbit in a hole

Not a clue. Never gave it a second thought. If it sounded good, I bought it. I try not to get hung up on the specs of a synth. Other than it's a "nice to know piece of info for whatever reason one might think it's a nice to know piece of info" ultimately, in the course of making music, it doesn't really matter.

But this should turn out to be an interesting thread.

I'll leave it at that.

From the Tone2 site about Nemesis:

"Aside from NeoFM synthesis, Nemesis features an astounding selection of no fewer then 22 combinable synthesis types. From Waveshaping, Phase Distortion, Sync, Wavetable, Ringmod, Vintage FM, up to the Reso and Advanced Formant Synthesis exclusive to Nemesis."

Examigan wrote:From the Tone2 site about Nemesis:

"Aside from NeoFM synthesis, Nemesis features an astounding selection of no fewer then 22 combinable synthesis types. From Waveshaping, Phase Distortion, Sync, Wavetable, Ringmod, Vintage FM, up to the Reso and Advanced Formant Synthesis exclusive to Nemesis."
Advertising. Nice.
rabbit in a hole

wagtunes wrote:Not a clue. Never gave it a second thought. If it sounded good, I bought it. I try not to get hung up on the specs of a synth. Other than it's a "nice to know piece of info for whatever reason one might think it's a nice to know piece of info" ultimately, in the course of making music, it doesn't really matter.

But this should turn out to be an interesting thread.

I'll leave it at that.
Yeah. In fact no musical reason. More technical and historical.
rabbit in a hole

Autobot wrote:

Advertising. Nice.
I am not advertising for anyone, just passing along some info.

Blue II :)
...want to know how to program great synth sounds,check my video tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/sergiofrias25

The "NeoFM" modes in Nemesis do real FM but it also has PM and PD modes.
As Nemesis has both the FM and PM modes it is quite simple to discover the differences when switching between those (and keeping the otehr settings similar). With more complex waveforms the differences could be big while with pure Sines the difference is small or hard to notice.

The FM Osc Morph modes in Icarus are based on the NeoFM technology in Nemesis too so those do real FM.
Besides the FM modes Icarus also has some PD Morph modes.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

sergiofrias wrote:Blue II :)
Blue II what? Did you read the asked question in the topic? I doubt.
rabbit in a hole

Ingonator wrote:

The "NeoFM" modes in Nemesis do real FM but it also has PM and PD modes.
As Nemesis has both the FM and PM modes it is quite simple to discover the differences when switching between those (and keeping the otehr settings similar). With more complex waveforms the differences could be big while with pure Sines the difference is small or hard to notice.

The FM Osc Morph modes in Icarus are based on the NeoFM technology in Nemesis too so those do real FM.
Besides the FM modes Icarus also has some PD Morph modes.
Thanks. At least one out of four.
rabbit in a hole

You forgot to mention what type of synthesis Blue-II does. But according to the presentation, FM and PD (as well as wave shaping and subtractive).

VirtualCZ, and the Casio CZ series do phase distortion.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Autobot wrote:
Blue II what? Did you read the asked question in the topic? I doubt.
in fact i have read it ,just did't post the features:

FM / PD/ ring mod /hard sync/ (not sure if it does phase modulation)
...want to know how to program great synth sounds,check my video tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/sergiofrias25

Sytrus; Phase modulation

Autobot wrote:

Advertising. Nice.
Well, not just advertising. Besides FM (real FM), PM and PD there are indeed a bunch of other modes included. There are also multiple "NeoFM" (= real FM) modes includeing such taht create an additional Sub-Osc.

Besides that Nemesis for both the carrier and modulator could load/save custom waveforms in WAV format and has a simple additive tyle waveform editor where you could create waveforms from scratch or edit/change loaded WAV files. using complex waveforms seems to make more sense with real FM. PM will also work with waveforms that are based on a few additive partials but with too many it will start to no longer work as nicely as with real FM (NeoFM). With the NeoFM modes it does not really seem to matter how complex the waveforms are. With the DX7 which used PM this was not really a problem as it used pure SInes.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Synthmaster's modulators can modulate frequency, phase, amplitude, or pulse width of the oscillators.

Return to “Instruments”