Dune 2 ...absolutely fantastic ..audio rate modulation ..lil appreciation thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Teksonik wrote:Do you even own the latest version of DUNE 2 ?
No, but there's this thing called a "demo" which is downloadable from Synapse Audio's website, so i heard.

30 Hz is audio rate, isn't it?

Most music is not made using modular synths, anyway.

30hz is a pretty long way from Audio rate.

300hz is more like it but still pretty low!

and when it comes to making music, surely KVR makes it clear that everyone is different. I have been using a modular in my music for the past decade. gets a go in every track I write.
Pretty sure a lot of established artists now sport modulars in their studio's and don't think they are all for show!
Hypnagog (Experimental Electronica) |
Terrafractyl (Psytrance) |Kinematic Records (Label)

ugh...I can't hold it any longer... here's the thing guys. Before software synths EVERYTHING used an oscillator as a modulator. It was standard. A few software synths will let you do this, but they don't do it very well most of the time. The reason is because it has to be done at VERY good audio quality.... HIGH audio rates to do it well. U-he does it pretty well for example but at the expense of .... gasp! CPU!... oh noeeesssss.... it's a total failure as an edm instrument because it uses cpu ..... gasp the horror! I can't run 500 instances and smash them together with limiters! how will I ever be an EDM superstar!

What makes D2 good is you can modulate the filter with the oscillator... great! But it sounds like doo doo..... UNTIL you up the audio rates to the highest cpu eating setting.... THAT"S where the magic happens!

Terrafractyl wrote:30hz is a pretty long way from Audio rate.

300hz is more like it!

and when it comes to making music, surely KVR makes it clear that everyone is different. I have been using a modular in my music for the past decade. gets a go in every track I write.
Pretty sure a lot of established artists now sport modulars in their studio's and don't think they are all for show!
So, we are not talking about LFO's anyway, as those are not really intended for frequencies above 20 Hz.
Basically you want to use a normal oscillator for modulation, like in Predator.

fluffy_little_something wrote:What's the point of such high LFO frequencies, anyway?
Just checked those in Hybrid 3, they end at 30 Hz, and I would not even know how to use 30 Hz in a musical way, to be honest.

If you have time, dL the demo of Audio Realism's "Bass Line Pro", use the "Welcome Patch" (it's the init one), hook the MG CV output the VCF input, turn its Freq up to 11 and enjoy what you hear (don't forget to tweak via midi controller for eargasms).
Last edited by elassi on Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fluffy_little_something wrote:What's the point of such high LFO frequencies, anyway?
Just checked those in Hybrid 3, they end at 30 Hz, and I would not even know how to use 30 Hz in a musical way, to be honest.
You can make tasty bacon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApvV_0-WYpY

With Monark one can make very tasty bacon. (Reaktor mod in audio-rate)
(funny fact in the video:.. Predator bacon is pretty weak)
Last edited by Klinke1 on Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- WonderEcho -

fluffy_little_something wrote: So, we are not talking about LFO's anyway, as those are not really intended for frequencies above 20 Hz.
Basically you want to use a normal oscillator for modulation, like in Predator.

Ummm yeah that's what we have been talking about !
LFO's and Osc's are almost identical. The only difference is that LFO's (in software) are limited in their Range to preserve CPU.

In analog world the difference in the circuitry is almost none. Some Softsynths LFO's get pretty close to audio rate speeds hence the confusion I think.

chk071 wrote:
Teksonik wrote:Do you even own the latest version of DUNE 2 ?
No, but there's this thing called a "demo" which is downloadable from Synapse Audio's website, so i heard.
So why demo a synth that you have time and time again insulted ? I don't know what you have against Synapse but your constant spreading of bullsh*t about DUNE 2 is getting tiresome. Don't like it ? That's fine, move on...
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

See that's the problem, you take every little criticism about your "baby" as an insult. Grow up, and then, let's discuss about the upsides or downsides. And if you can't do that, it's not my fault.

Klinke1 wrote:You can make tasty bacon.

That's the point, that sounds like noise to me. There is nothing pleasant, musical about it. Maybe it is cool for special effects, but R&B or Bossa Nova!?

As a vegan I am not into bacon, anyway :hihi:

fluffy_little_something wrote:

That's the point, that sounds like noise to me. There is nothing pleasant, musical about it. Maybe it is cool for special effects, but R&B or Bossa Nova!?

It was a bad example in the video.

but please lets not let this descend into what sound 'pleasant and musical' because as I said before, everyone has a very different opinion on that one... lets just say there are a LOT of people for which these sounds are actually quite important. :)

edit: if your making Bossa Nova, then maybe talking about audiorate modulation on a Dune2 thread on KVR is a strange thing to be doing!

If only i could find the thread where someone asked for a software (or hardware?) to replicate some modular FM sounds he posted an example from. Those were really nice.

Ok, got it. :P viewtopic.php?f=1&t=474341 I wouldn't trim that down to only blurp and fart sounds though, stuff like that can be very helpful for all kind of sounds.

No. That's wrong.
Here bacon can sound very musical: (Top song/music!)
I thought you were into bacon and belly-rubs.. hmm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViB5nnP ... PRuYo#t=81

(edit: Typo)
Last edited by Klinke1 on Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- WonderEcho -

chk071 wrote:If only i could find the thread where someone asked for a software (or hardware?) to replicate some modular FM sounds he posted an example from. Those were really nice.

Ok, got it. :P viewtopic.php?f=1&t=474341 I wouldn't trim that down to only blurp and fart sounds though, stuff like that can be very helpful for all kind of sounds.
Mr. Fluffy seems to be too ignorant for further insights. That's why I don't bother to provide another example (not sporting 'farts' but powerful sounds with lots of 'bones').

Return to “Instruments”