Kontakt 5.6 crashing Kosmology in Cubase 8.5

Official support for: hgsounds.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm hoping I've found a workaround that works, if you anyone could try the following ASAP it would be very helpful:

1: Load up the Kosmology you know crashes
2: Click on the edit instrument button (top left of the loaded instrument - picture of spanner)
3: Below that click on "Instrument Options"
4: In the Panel that opens select the DFD tab
5: Unselect "Allow instant playback for samples which are not loaded yet"
6: Close

Now try to make it crash. Working 100% here, and with the existence of this option I'm wondering if it is a known issue already that for some reason Kosmology triggers. I'd be interested if this works for your crashes too Irvg.

It is more stable here with Kosmology Dissonace using the workaround you described but if you momentarily switch to the windows desktop and then back to Cubase the Dissonace patch which was playing previously refuses to play (yes it is receiving midi).

The only solution is to quit Kontakt and reload. When I do this I don't get a hard crash in Cubase like I did this before . Kontakt will exit as expected and I can reload a new instance of Kontakt and then Dissonance and then disable the parameter in DFD as specified. Dissonance works again until I temporally go to the desktop and back to cubase and then it refuses to respond to midi input and I have to unload Kontakt and start again. At least there are no hard crashes.

You can also get the same behaviour by getting Kontakt to "Always Stay On Top"... If you do this it stops receiving midi. It seems that if Kontakt temporally loses focus it misbehaves.

I did this a few times and I did get a hard crash in Cubase with the CPU meter maxed.

I'll do more tests and I'll give you more updates... but you are getting somewhere for sure.

Astralp wrote:I'm hoping I've found a workaround that works, if you anyone could try the following ASAP it would be very helpful:

1: Load up the Kosmology you know crashes
2: Click on the edit instrument button (top left of the loaded instrument - picture of spanner)

Now try to make it crash. Working 100% here, and with the existence of this option I'm wondering if it is a known issue already that for some reason Kosmology triggers. I'd be interested if this works for your crashes too Irvg.

Thanks Scotty :)

I've tried to replicate this but it works fine here whilst switching between cubase and the desktop and also with always on top enabled. Do you have the cubase option to release driver enabled in the ASIO settings (I think)? Does Kontakt 5.6 behave this way with any other libraries?

Hi Astalap.. I will test various Kontakt libraries tomorrow including a other kosmology variants but I have not seen this issue before and I often go back and forth between programs so I doubt it is happening overall but I will confirm. Cubase doesn't release the ASIO driver in the background. I've turned that off.
Astralp wrote:Thanks Scotty :)

I've tried to replicate this but it works fine here whilst switching between cubase and the desktop and also with always on top enabled. Do you have the cubase option to release driver enabled in the ASIO settings (I think)? Does Kontakt 5.6 behave this way with any other libraries?

Looks like there is a new Kontakt version released today. Anyone still seeing this issue after the update?

This isn't definitive proof or anything, but since the Kontakt update yesterday, I haven't had any weird behavior or crashes yet. I've really only had a chance to dig into it tonight, but no issues so far. From Kontakt's email:

"The update adds a new user interface tool for KONTAKT instrument builders – a fully customizable XY Pad feature. It also provides some fixes requested by the community, as well as multiple stability improvements."

Some of those stability improvements and/or fixes might have resolved this. If so, that would be pretty awesome.

Dang. Nope. Loaded Infekted Starburst, went through some presets, then Infekted Synth, went through more, all fine. Then tried switching to Dominate...hard crash, Kosmology stopped responding, and so then did my DAW, had to kill it all.

So...no. At least, it doesn't appear the fixes/changes Kontakt made has resolved issues.

Energy Crush this is the solution:

1: Load Kosmology

Please do this before reporting any crashes, during my extensive testing I can't make it crash now (although I've also made a couple of other changes in the next release).

I will be updating all Kosmology/Multiverse releases over the weekend :)

HI Astalp. This isn't working for me. I tested it this morning and I am still getting crashes. I also updated to the latest Kontakt which was released yesterday and got the crashes. The rest of my Kontakt libraries are working fine so it isn't specific to my install of Kontakt.

I discovered another weird anomaly... As soon as I close the Kontakt plugin screen, it stops receiving midi with kosmology dissonance loaded.

Astralp wrote:Energy Crush this is the solution:

1: Load Kosmology

Please do this before reporting any crashes, during my extensive testing I can't make it crash now (although I've also made a couple of other changes in the next release).

I will be updating all Kosmology/Multiverse releases over the weekend :)

Oh, that's frustrating, I don't get any of that behaviour which makes it tough to diagnose, it's all behaving as it should here. Well try the new releases when I release them this weekend and I'll have a think why any of this could be happening. Does it still do this if you have all samples loaded? Which version of Cubase are you using?

If you could also write down the exact procedure from loading Kontakt to make the no midi problem happen, that would be good. I've just run through a few releases in v8.5 and v9.01 and they all appear to be working fine.

To create the no midi issue. Load up Cubase 8.5 or Cubase 9 (I tested in both) use the latest Kontakt . Load up Kosmology Dissonance. Load any preset and play the keyboard. All is good. Now close the Kontakt vst window. There is no midi input from the computer even if it is set to monitor as it should.

Astralp wrote:Oh, that's frustrating, I don't get any of that behaviour which makes it tough to diagnose, it's all behaving as it should here. Well try the new releases when I release them this weekend and I'll have a think why any of this could be happening. Does it still do this if you have all samples loaded? Which version of Cubase are you using?

If you could also write down the exact procedure from loading Kontakt to make the no midi problem happen, that would be good. I've just run through a few releases in v8.5 and v9.01 and they all appear to be working fine.

I've tried in vain to recreate this Scotty but cannot unfortunately, in both 8.5 and v9 everything is playing nicely. The new versions are now live, if you could download and give them a try that would be good. Does this behaviour happen with any other Kosmology releases? Note that the new releases are using a new file structure designed to make life easier when merging multiple releases, so I would advise installing to a new folder, once you have created a folder you can directly extract them all to this folder so that all releases will merge.

HI astalp, I will try out your new updates as specified below later today. Thanks for your hard work. I will also post a photo of my folder structure, so you may confirm if it is a problem on how I organized things.

Astralp wrote:I've tried in vain to recreate this Scotty but cannot unfortunately, in both 8.5 and v9 everything is playing nicely. The new versions are now live, if you could download and give them a try that would be good. Does this behaviour happen with any other Kosmology releases? Note that the new releases are using a new file structure designed to make life easier when merging multiple releases, so I would advise installing to a new folder, once you have created a folder you can directly extract them all to this folder so that all releases will merge.

I am happy to report that the updates have solved the crashing and freezing issues with Kosmology libraries I tested in Cubase 8.5 and Cubase 9. I am using the latest version of Konakt 5.6 . I can confirm that it wasn't the Kontakt or Cubase updates that fixed the problem it was your latests updates to your library that I downloaded yesterday that did the trick. Fantastic work Astralp!

Scotty wrote:HI astalp, I will try out your new updates as specified below later today. Thanks for your hard work. I will also post a photo of my folder structure, so you may confirm if it is a problem on how I organized things.

Astralp wrote:I've tried in vain to recreate this Scotty but cannot unfortunately, in both 8.5 and v9 everything is playing nicely. The new versions are now live, if you could download and give them a try that would be good. Does this behaviour happen with any other Kosmology releases? Note that the new releases are using a new file structure designed to make life easier when merging multiple releases, so I would advise installing to a new folder, once you have created a folder you can directly extract them all to this folder so that all releases will merge.
Last edited by Scotty on Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks Scotty! Wow I can relax again, it was a traumatic experience, I'm so glad it's resolved :)

Return to “Homegrown Sounds”