Producers, are you faithful to your DAW?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I like trying new DAW's in the hope one will give me inspiration to finish a song.... But I am also a bit of a hoarder and have difficulty letting go of the old. So I have too many. With a lot of almost done songs... :help:

So in a way I am in an open marriage... :D
or a polygamous one :scared:

Used FL, not bad, but when I wanted to intuitively create a new track and record some MIDI into it, Reaper came to the rescue. That's a perfect DAW for an IT guy. Complex in its surface (and in its inside), so a bit hard to start with but when you are just there adding and adding tracks and recording easily and applying FX to an audio (or MIDI) clip as a new take... Oh it's just great. I can't really understand Ableton and I don't want to waste my time trying to, I just enjoy the traditional old music studio workflow.

ghettosynth wrote:My breakup with Cakewalk was bitter.
My divorce from Cubase was amicable. :) Nothing to be bitter about once you understand that it's all just software and there's always another choice.

LawrenceF wrote:
My divorce from Cubase was amicable. :) Nothing to be bitter about once you understand that it's all just software and there's always another choice.
I was younger at the time, and the monies and subsequent lack of productivity were felt!

That was a long time ago though. Somewhere along the way I gave them a second chance with some bundleware version of SonarSomething LE. It sucked in every way possible.

Currently on FL Studio 11. Been on it a little over 5 years (I think since version 9). Tried updating to version 12 & went to Windows 10. However, several plugins I use on every track behaved stangely, so I went back. I prefer to use Logic 8 for vocals, though I haven't dubbed any tracks in awhile. Previous to FLS11, I was on Pro Tools for 5 years, and Reason for about 1 year. Now I'm trying to learn Ableton but it's hard.

I just want a DAW that is efficient, stable, and has decent compatibility with the vast array of VSTs I've amassed. Right now that is FL Studio 11.

ghettosynth wrote:
LawrenceF wrote:
I was younger at the time, and the monies and subsequent lack of productivity were felt!

That was a long time ago though. Somewhere along the way I gave them a second chance with some bundleware version of SonarSomething LE. It sucked in every way possible.
You can't divorce Sonar. You took a solemn vow when you agreed to that EULA and now you're stuck with her forever. :P
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

No, I use it. "Faithful" appears to mean "loyal" in this context - and no, I'm not loyal to Cockos nor to Ableton.

If something sexier and faster (like AI with big sexy tits) comes along I'll use it instead. :lol:

cryophonik wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
LawrenceF wrote:

You can't divorce Sonar. You took a solemn vow when you agreed to that EULA and now you're stuck with her forever. :P
Nope, I never got into bed with Sonar. Ok, I had a brief fling with Sonar LE, Sonar's gimpier and slightly easier cousin. She gets around. I was married to Cakewalk Audio for Windows, way back in the olden days. This was shortly after we got electricity. We were still using CRT monitors. I had 15 big high resolution inches but that just wasn't enough to keep her happy.

I was only asking her to sync up four tracks of audio to my midi, but no, that was too damn much. We fought and fought and fought, but in the end I sent her packing.

aMUSEd wrote: Moved to Tracktion - that got dumped by Mackie
To be fair, it's more like Tracktion was rescued from Mackie by its original developer, Julian Storer. I keep it around, but currently am bouncing between Logic (mainly), an Ableton demo (about to expire!), and Reaper (for lightweight audio-only projects).

Logic is a beast, and will do just about everything, but isn't visually my ideal. Its UI seems a bit too toy-like in some places (the goofy instrument icons really bug me, Ultrabeat looks bizarre, etc.) and just confusingly complex in others. But its depth and feature set keep me coming back. (Plus, the price is great!)

Live calls to me with (to me) a cleaner, more modern looking interface (I know it's dated in some ways, but the sparse line-oriented interface is kind of timeless, like a good Bauhaus design.) I feel like I can get more into a flow with Live, as the plugins have a more integrated feel and seem more intuitive, though I think the plugins in Logic might sound a touch better.

Reaper is super affordable, lightweight, and powerful. Hell, if ISO50 (Tycho) can make his albums on it, it should be good enough for me, but I don't have as much outboard gear, time or, most importantly, talent as Scott.

I've looked at Bitwig, but its demo can't save and mindshare seems to have really dropped off as development slowed. Protools looks too expensive and still geared towards high-end studio use. Studio One 3 was fun to play with, but Logic seemed similar and pulled me away.

All this to day, I think I've settled on Logic and Live for the most part, though I've not purchased Live yet and am kind of battling myself -- stick with the DAW you have and just make music, but the eye wanders…

I'm polyamorous with DAWs too. Though, I did break up with Sonar for the constant abuse it dealt me.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Yes, I'm faithful to my DAWs : S1, FLS, Cubase, Reaper and Live :D

I am cheating :D
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

I got married to Logic when her maiden name was eMagic many, many years ago. At that time she wasn't doing any audio so when Cubase Audio came out I double timed her for a while, she was pretty sad but quick to realize that the way to get me back into her life was to go for a cosmetic upgrade to audio, I was dazzled and dumped that bitch Cubase immediately. We've been together ever since although I have been attracted to Live and Studio One but the attraction never lasted long. They say never change a winning team and although there might be newer models, younger, sexier, sleeker... she's my gal!

I cheated on Live last night with my ex, Reaper, just to try out some dirty 32-bit tricks Live would never accept.

It was terrible, she was ugly, bloated, lame and clueless and didn't care about my pleasure at all, I got an STD, PTSD and severe depression and if Live ever finds out it's back to pen and paper I guess.

Oh the mistakes we make, I have no idea what I saw in her, I guess I just needed someone real bad back then.

I also got Live 9 Suite and Maschine, but my heart belongs to Studio One 2 Pro.
Didn't opened the two mentioned at the start in months and also didn't upgrade to V3, even with the ridiculously low price on BF.

So yeah, I am.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”