Ideas for a new plugin?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm out of ideas, so I thought I'd try to fish from the community. I've been itching to build a new freeware plugin. Any suggestions? Something unique/creative/uncommon. Thanks in advance :)

Hi, Mildon.
Your plugins are great, with very nice looking GUIS.
By the way, do you plan to release the new plugin using a 32bit only framework, or are you considering releasing it available as both 32 & 64bit ?

A deresonator, something like oeksound soothe?
It's easy if you know how

Random ideas off the top of my head:

- 'Kaossilator Pro' synth/looper - a synth with 4 or 8 interchangable loopers, ability to add and cycle though loops (load/save) in a directory on the fly

- Chord/Chord Progression Evolver - randomly mutate/create the notes of a chord progression with the ability to freeze notes or chords (many notes), as well as chord lengths

- Meta Arpeggiator - arpeggiate/interate through a set of arpeggiators, each set for a different speed and direction, this will give interesting melodic structures

- Transitional LFO - an lfo that will perfectly change between 2 tempo synced speeds gradually over a specific length of time

- Image synth or effect - take X from left, take Y from right, sample an image via interpolation and output (0 = -1.0, 255 = 1.0), for synth aspect simply feed 2 saw/square/tri/sine waveforms through the image for a unique outcome

- Subdivisional sequencer - given a block of time divided by a set of slots, each slot can be divided up into N slots, recursively so.. this would create very unique timings that are still have integral relationships to the song tempo

- Lissajou Stereo Synth - use vector paths to draw lissajou shapes and playback at note pitches.. x/y = l/r.. similar to cable guys for points, a/b morphable path

Make me proud :-)
Last edited by Vertion on Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

sinkmusic wrote:Hi, Mildon.
Your plugins are great, with very nice looking GUIS.
By the way, do you plan to release the new plugin using a 32bit only framework, or are you considering releasing it available as both 32 & 64bit ?
Hey thanks. Definitely 32/64 also VST 2.4/3. I took a hiatus two years ago to focus on other things, so I wasn't able to port my old plugins to 64bit. I do plan to update them, but I want to warm up with a fresh new plugin to kick things off. =)

Lesha wrote:A deresonator, something like oeksound soothe?
Thanks, that's a neat idea. I thought of something similar before, but more like a gated EQ. I guess I could also build something vocal-centric.

mildonm wrote:
Thanks, that's a neat idea. I thought of something similar before, but more like a gated EQ. I guess I could also build something vocal-centric.
Thanks, it doesn't have to be limited to vocals only, more like a general problem solver. soothe is great, but out of my budget unfortunately.
It's easy if you know how

Vertion wrote:Random ideas off the top of my head:

- Kaoscillator Pro type plugin (Synth/Sampler with multiple interacting loopers), ability to add and cycle though loops in a directory on the fly
- Chord/Chord Progression Evolver with ability to freeze good notes and chords, set chord and progression loop lengths
- Meta arpeggiator- arpeggiate through a set of arpeggiators with various settings of speed and direction styles
- Transitional LFO, lfo that will perfectly change between 2 tempo synced speeds over a length set in bars
- Image synth/effect - take X from left, take Y from right, sample an image via interpolation and output (0 = -1.0, 255 = 1.0)
- Subdivisional sequencer - given a block of time divided by a set of slots, each slot can be divided up into N slots, recursively so

Make me proud :-)
I've always dreamed of building a sample player, but it's plenty of work for me at the moment. :o
Closest thing I've done is Sturmmer S7, which played samples from SS7 sound packs- basically a zip package that contains samples.

I can consider something like that, a really simple one. Player will look inside a folder or a zip file and make the samples playable without any instructions (as opposed to having a script like sfz). Samples only have to be named a certain way for it to work. :)

I'd love to see something that specializes in doing the reverse reverb/reverse delay buildup effect. Not sure how possible it is in a plugin, but it would be cool to have.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

A configurable fretboard might be uncommon yet helpful in some situations. Something that would show incoming notes on a fretboard, but would also function as a playing surface on touch screens. Guitarists could use it to translate their ideas to MIDI, fledgling string instrument-players could use it to show how to play stuff, ..
Last edited by ras.s on Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lesha wrote:
mildonm wrote:
Thanks, it doesn't have to be limited to vocals only, more like a general problem solver. soothe is great, but out of my budget unfortunately.
You're right. I think in a way a gated EQ can function like soothe. My idea is that the user would be able to set the sidechain frequency, bandwidth, threshold. The EQ will be applied once the sidechain goes above or below the threshold (above/below may be set as well, along with attack and release for the transition).

As for the EQ itself, the easiest for me to implement would be a graphic EQ with preset cuts. It's also gonna be lighter on the CPU.

Something like this can solve small problems that you'd normally have to use a multiband compressor for, even if you don't want compression. So I like the idea. :)

A step sequencer with ratcheting and a modulation system to f**k with the ratcheting, pitch, gate length velocity etc
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Filter plugin with wavetable lfo shape. <- First part of a superior multifx plugin in my head ^^

VariKusBrainZ wrote:A step sequencer with ratcheting and a modulation system to f**k with the ratcheting, pitch, gate length velocity etc
And this would be close to other part. Stereo stepseq with possibility to change the panning, pitch, gate length velocity etc and modulate all of those. Left and right channel independently ofc.

*edit* Multiband. Bit like this. https://www.propellerheads.se/reason/effects/alligator But with steroids.

cryophonik wrote:I'd love to see something that specializes in doing the reverse reverb/reverse delay buildup effect. Not sure how possible it is in a plugin, but it would be cool to have.
Something like spl deverb. It would be an intersting challenge. I do record in untreated rooms from time to time, and something like this would be useful indeed. Some transient shaping and auto-EQ (at the very least) must be involved here.

Return to “Effects”