Komplete 11 Ultimate Upg or Omnisphere 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have Komplete 9 Ultimate. Upgrading gives you molekulor, update to Reaktor and several new synths, but rarely can you get Omnisphere for under $400...

So I'm wondering peoples thought on if you had $400 bucks to spend on one, what would you pick and why?

Thanks in advance,
Nick

nickfever wrote:I have Komplete 9 Ultimate. Upgrading gives you molekulor, update to Reaktor and several new synths, but rarely can you get Omnisphere for under $400...
So I'm wondering peoples thought on if you had $400 bucks to spend on one, what would you pick and why?
Thanks in advance, Nick
First ask yourself what you're really using in nine and what you think you really need in eleven.
Given my current trials in dealing with NI and my past losses with Spectrasonics, my knee-jerk response to you is "neither". But that might not be what is best for you.

This last month, I've really made the hard inventory of NI in what I use, what I like but haven't used, and things I'll probably never use in Komplete Ultimate. As well as things I do use, but can easily drop and do without. (I currently have 9U & 11U but have not been able to install 11U yet.) I think the reality of it is starting to show me how easily I can live without Ultimate and even a quarter less of Komplete (but alas, the bundle is still cheaper than the sum of what I do use). Not saying any of it's bad, just an unneeded bloat.

Both NI & Omnis appear bloated to me but YMMV.

Depends on what it is you're looking to do. For me, Omnisphere is a must have with all the atmospheric stuff I do. In Komplete, I use Battery for drums a ton. I use Kontakt a ton. Everything else? Hardly at all or once in a blue moon. Having said that, I'm happy I have both but I did not upgrade from 9 to 11 because the few extra things I'd be getting I can honestly live without.

Like BBFG# above said, YMMV. The only one who can make this decision for you, is you.

Thanks for the replies!

I like getting sample sets as you never know when you need them, and nothing sounds quite like a good sample.

The only thing I use Omni for now is string pads, but even so I like mixing real strings from Ultimate with synth sounds.

So - a vote for Ultimate over Omni

- but only for the samples and great fx, not the synths.
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Let's look at what you will get in addition to what you have for $400 with Native Instruments

Abbey Road 50s Drummer
Action Strikes
Discovery Series: India
Discovery Series: Cuba
Drumlab
Emotive Strings
Flesh
Form
Komplete Kontrol
Kontour
Molekular
Polyplex
Reaktor 6
Replika XT
Rise & Hit
Rounds
Session Guitarist - Strummed Acoustic
Session Horns Pro
Supercharger GT
Symphony Essentials - Brass Ensemble
Symphony Essentials - Brass Solo
Symphony Essentials - String Ensemble
Symphony Essentials - Woodwind Ensemble
Symphony Essentials - Woodwind Solo
The Gentleman
The Grandeur
The Maverick
Una Corda

That is 7 orchestral libraries, 4 pianos, 2 world instrument libraries, 4 drum and effect libraries and synths, 6 new synths, a new guitar library, 3 new effect units...one of them being incredibly diverse, etc. etc.

Omnisphere is awesome. It is one of the best synths I have. It does depend on your needs/wants/goals.

The choice is easy if I were left to a choice.

If you buy Komplete you'll have the torment of then wanting Session Guitarist 2, once you've played Session Guitarist 1.

They are really nice guitar sounds.
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

kevvvvv wrote:The only thing I use Omni for now is string pads
That's... um... an interesting way to use Omni.

It's impossible to answer the OP's question really without knowing exactly what you use, what other stuff you have, what you think the gaps are... and even then it's tricky because as kevvvvv above spectacularly proves, there's no accounting for what you may or may not click with. Omni is my workhorse, a never-ending source of inspiration. I never really touch the NI synths because although they sound terrific, I don't get on with their workflow. Of those new products, there are three or four real gems for me and the rest I could leave, but for the next person it would be different.

If it were me and after all that you think - not unreasonably - you'd like both, then I'd look at it slightly differently. NI have upgrade sales once or twice a year. Likely the next which will include K11 will be in the summer. Spectrasonics never have sales. So if you have the cash now and would like both equally, go for Omni 2, then save half that amount for K11 in 6 months time.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

you might be able to use guitar center or musician friend coupon on omnisphere

Although the list is indeed impressive of what you get from KU 9 to KU 11 (I also have KU 9 and have contemplated upgrading), I actually still think getting Omnisphere 2 would be a better choice as it offers some new workflows and very different sounds to komplete. Also, can always get the KU update later at some point for half price.

Return to “Instruments”