Multiband stutter, reverse, scratch, tape-stop, glitch: Cableguys TimeShaper out now!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TimeShaper

Look, I doubt there will be any change with this policy and I am a big fan of Cableguys products which have grown better and better as the years have passed.

I just hope in the future non EU buyers are at least taken into consideration because despite what was probably at good effort a fairness, there are still two different prices for Cableguys products. Non EU buyers are not required to pay VAT, so yes it is two different prices.

Anyway, I will be buying the ShaperBox bundle (including TimeShaper of course) because it simply is that good.

I love you what guys have done, especially considering how many new effect plugins, including modular effect racks have released within weeks of each other... this definitely stands out as being unique, well thought out (intuitive) and just flat out sounds good. Great work.

Jakob,

Any chance of getting some sort of zoom for TimeShaper? I make mostly ambientish music & I love TimeShaper, but am finding that most of the shapes that I want to make are small & subtle taking up very little space on the graph. It can be difficult to get the precise effect that I want. It would be great to be able to zoom in & make finer adjustments.

Thanks

virtualpt wrote:Jakob,

Any chance of getting some sort of zoom for TimeShaper? I make mostly ambientish music & I love TimeShaper, but am finding that most of the shapes that I want to make are small & subtle taking up very little space on the graph. It can be difficult to get the precise effect that I want. It would be great to be able to zoom in & make finer adjustments.

Thanks
Did you already click on the two arrow pointing diagonally away from each other, located in the upper right corner of the graph? That should zoom the graph to the size of the plugin.

Okay this has to be the coolest plugin in a VERY long time. Shaperbox is sort of what LFO tool should've always been like. Easier node editing and tools, zoom, multiple fx routing, much better GUI, etc. Midi triggering for the patterns is brilliant, too. Great job! All we need is some comb-filter modes and reverb modules to feed into the other Shaperbox modules and I'm in heaven.

elxsound wrote: Did you already click on the two arrow pointing diagonally away from each other, located in the upper right corner of the graph? That should zoom the graph to the size of the plugin.

Thanks elxsound, yes I did, but it doesn't really give the zoom amount that I would like. Most of the adjustments that I am making are small tape speed ups & slow downs, often on single words. Most of my adjustments take place in the top 16th of the grid.

virtualpt wrote:Thanks elxsound, yes I did, but it doesn't really give the zoom amount that I would like. Most of the adjustments that I am making are small tape speed ups & slow downs, often on single words. Most of my adjustments take place in the top 16th of the grid.
Horizontal zoom is something we definitely want to add at some time!

Jakob / Cableguys wrote:
virtualpt wrote:Thanks elxsound, yes I did, but it doesn't really give the zoom amount that I would like. Most of the adjustments that I am making are small tape speed ups & slow downs, often on single words. Most of my adjustments take place in the top 16th of the grid.
I think he's looking for a vertical zoom unless I'm mistaken.

Also, I'd love to see a Smooth knob added to these plugins to round those hard 90 degree edges. Would be particularly helpful with square tremolo type effects where I don't want audible clicking, but still a very hard square tremolo, which I imagine would be a tiny amount of smoothing added. With extreme smoothing, the edge would bend but stop just short of the current rounded shape. I think it would be a handy addition.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Also, I'd love to see a Smooth knob added to these plugins to round those hard 90 degree edges. Would be particularly helpful with square tremolo type effects where I don't want audible clicking, but still a very hard square tremolo, which I imagine would be a tiny amount of smoothing added. With extreme smoothing, the edge would bend but stop just short of the current rounded shape. I think it would be a handy addition.
Why not simply adjust the wave? Or use a "medium" level point: Right click on a point changes its weight. There's a soft level, a medium, and the hard one.

Doing a generic smoothing has the problem that it smoothes the whole wave - while for your audio, it might be better to smooth the wave at some point, but not at the other. It very much depends on the input.

elxsound wrote: I just hope in the future non EU buyers are at least taken into consideration because despite what was probably at good effort a fairness, there are still two different prices for Cableguys products. Non EU buyers are not required to pay VAT, so yes it is two different prices
Jrr have it cheaper
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Jrr have it cheaper
They do the exact same price as we do, don't they?

Jakob / Cableguys wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Also, I'd love to see a Smooth knob added to these plugins to round those hard 90 degree edges. Would be particularly helpful with square tremolo type effects where I don't want audible clicking, but still a very hard square tremolo, which I imagine would be a tiny amount of smoothing added. With extreme smoothing, the edge would bend but stop just short of the current rounded shape. I think it would be a handy addition.
Why not simply adjust the wave? Or use a "medium" level point: Right click on a point changes its weight. There's a soft level, a medium, and the hard one.

Doing a generic smoothing has the problem that it smoothes the whole wave - while for your audio, it might be better to smooth the wave at some point, but not at the other. It very much depends on the input.
Think of the scenario where I setup a square wave shape doing 16th note full modulation of volume (full on to full off). As is, anything that doesn't land on a zero-crossing is likely to create an audible click/pop. So let's say I want to fix this, I can start angling those points so the hard square has a bit of a slope to it, changing the waveform shape. Even if the effect isn't audible, the process might be tedious. Whereas if there was some kind of smoothing knob/algorithm that knew to fade in a few samples or just round the edges of the waveform a tiny bit, it would be a matter of "clicking? Oh, let me add a tiny bit of smoothing via the knob." Knocking it down to a single click and drag operation, which is more efficient.

Hope that makes sense. I never actually looked, but I suspect if you looked at some pan plugins (Audio Damage's Panstation, SoundToys Pan Man), that even with a square waveform and 100% depth, there's some level of smoothing happening behind the scenes to prevent clicks. I certainly don't hear them in those plugins as often as I do when beating up on Volume modulation in Shaper Box.

I love the plugs as-is though, so this is just a "this would make them even more awesomer" type of a request from me, and hopefully not perceived as a gripe. Keep up the amazing work.

Jakob / Cableguys wrote:
Hi Jakob, I'm more in need of vertical zoom, although both would be nice :)

Jakob / Cableguys wrote: They do the exact same price as we do, don't they?
They generally have an extra forum discount. Its still cheaper
from you guys if you have the discount from owning another
product.

For first-time buyers, JRR's is slightly cheaper.

I have a lot of clicks, cracks and artifacts, especially with time shaper. Even with slow and smooth curves. MacOS Sierra Logic Pro X, MacbookPro retina late 2013. Is that normal? In the video it sounds smooth. Maybe macOS Sierra and /or Logic sucks (midi FX would be much much better indeed).
I tryed to change buffer/latency etc. but it´s the same.

Cinebient wrote:I have a lot of clicks, cracks and artifacts, especially with time shaper. Even with slow and smooth curves. MacOS Sierra Logic Pro X, MacbookPro retina late 2013. Is that normal? In the video it sounds smooth. Maybe macOS Sierra and /or Logic sucks (midi FX would be much much better indeed).
I tryed to change buffer/latency etc. but it´s the same.
I'm running Logic over here while not having the problems you've just described.
I'm under El Capitan though.
May be give me the name of e.g. few Time Shifter presets that produce it, so I could see if it appears over here too.

Return to “Effects”