Calling All Guitar Players - Real Guitar VS Vir 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Question is.... Do you really need all guitars? Depends on what genre you're after...
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:wagtunes, really dive into my KVRmarks and the thread I mentioned. I posted links to great demos with rock and metal sounds in these posts.

In fact, also look for Javi Perera on Youtube.
He wrote the audio demo "Metal Ballad in C" with Vir2 guitars, but also created a great RealEight audio demo

Like I said... Vir2, great sound out of the box.. Musiclab - learning curve and knowledge on post processing needed. Demo the engines, read my posts, wait for a sale. No reason to rush things
Actually, not in a rush at all. Not making any music this month (been a hectic year composition wise) and selling my Magic The Gathering collection (starting in January) to help pay for this. So the last thing I am in is a rush.

And in response to BBFG# above, even at $320, if I can get it that cheaply, that's still $100 per guitar whereas Vir 2 will give me 14 guitars for $800, which comes out to $57 per guitar. So even with the sale, it's the better value, for me anyway. And like I said, Music Labs sound simply didn't blow me away above everything else to the point where I'm like "OMG, this is Omnisphere special. I just HAVE to get this." For that matter, none of the libraries blew me away to that extent, which is why this hasn't been an easy decision for me. So ultimately, it comes down to bang for the buck and Vir 2 wins hands down.

wagtunes wrote: Would you happen to know if Vir 2 ever runs a sale? I would think probably not given the quality of the libraries and the price.
In either case, if either is going to run a sale, it's going to be around Christmas. Otherwise, I may not see one for some time and I want to start my project in January as I am taking December off from doing any new music.
Pretty sure they do, although not as big or as regular. Get on the email list for Big Fish Audio as I seem to remember they are the ones that discount it most often.

When I bought my MusicLabs bundle it came out closer to $80-$85. per guitar and JRR threw in an EQ to sweeten the deal.
Last edited by BBFG# on Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Compyfox wrote:Question is.... Do you really need all guitars? Depends on what genre you're after...
In my case, it's genres. I'm going to be starting off doing a Yes tribute CD. Then I'm going to be doing other band tributes. I will more likely than not be using every guitar in the Vir 2 collection. In fact, even that may not be enough for me down the road depending on what I run into that I don't already have. In short, I am going to be doing extensive guitar work. I've gotten away from that since 2013 when I sold my guitars and went ITB. I want to get back to it. And with virtual guitars, especially if I have a large library, I can tackle things that I couldn't tackle when I only owned one electric (Squire Strat) and one acoustic (Spanish Nylon). Now, the sky will be the limit. In fact, this is something I've always wanted to do.

So essentially, my synth purchases will be for my business to create sound libraries and my guitar purchases will be for actually making music that I always wanted to make but couldn't, not the least of which was because of my limited playing ability as I got older. And no, you don't want to hear my guitar tracks forgetting that they're horribly recorded to begin with.

Okay, right now, Big Fish Audio is selling both libraries for $650 if you buy the bundle. IMO, that's a steal.

Vir2 is the best e-guitar VST out there...but if you want to wait, which could be a while, for IK MODO Guitar to come out...eventually it probably will...will probably destroy every other VST out there for guitars...IK just released a Bass instrument that's the most realistic I've ever heard.
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

benjamind wrote:Vir2 is the best e-guitar VST out there...but if you want to wait, which could be a while, for IK MODO Guitar to come out...eventually it probably will...will probably destroy every other VST out there for guitars...IK just released a Bass instrument that's the most realistic I've ever heard.
Yeah, the bass is amazing, but I'm not waiting for a guitar that may take years to arrive, if at all.

Years? No, probably more like months.

They've already laid down the foundations with all the groundwork regarding the physical modelling of a fretted stringed instrument.

You seriously can't tell me that they haven't already started working on a virtual electric guitar instrument using the same base technology? To claim otherwise would be preposterous. For pete's sake, they've been working on the technology for 8 years. I'd say they've already developed the guitar, or at least most of the framework.
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

benjamind wrote:Years? No, probably more like months.

They've already laid down the foundations with all the groundwork regarding the physical modelling of a fretted stringed instrument.

You seriously can't tell me that they haven't already started working on a virtual guitar instrument using the same base technology? To claim otherwise would be preposterous.
Until I see it, I'm not assuming anything. I'm certainly not waiting for something that they haven't even made an announcement about.

And even if it's months, that'a months that I don't get to work on my project when there's a perfectly good library out there that I can start using first thing in January.

Take a look at www.amplesound.net guitars

Try the demos (trial version) here: http://www.amplesound.net/en/download.asp

now on sale until Jan 1st 2017.

Jason Washburn wrote:Take a look at http://www.amplesound.net guitars

Try the demos (trial version) here: http://www.amplesound.net/en/download.asp

now on sale until Jan 1st 2017.
Forget it. They're all sold separately. By the time you've put together a bundle, even with the sale price, it adds up to a fortune and I don't see any package deals on the site.

** EDIT ** Okay, I did find the bundles down at the bottom. The 5 electrics and 3 acoustics come out to $559. Vir 2's 14 guitars are on sale for $650. For less than $100 more I get 6 more guitars. Still the better value.

If your goal is to have more guitars at your disposal, then I can't (and will not be able to) convince you of anything else.

Good luck in your hunt...

benjamind wrote:Vir2 is the best e-guitar VST out there..
Again, it's a sample package, run in the Kontakt VSTi. It is not a VST plugin... I get what you mean, but details are important.

Also... "best" lies within the eye of the beholder... I find the keyswitches highly unintuitive.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:If your goal is to have more guitars at your disposal, then I can't (and will not be able to) convince you of anything else.

Good luck in your hunt...

benjamind wrote:Vir2 is the best e-guitar VST out there..
Again, it's a sample package, run in the Kontakt VSTi. It is not a VST plugin... I get what you mean, but details are important.

Also... "best" lies within the eye of the beholder... I find the keyswitches highly unintuitive.
And therein lies where I have a major advantage. I've been using EWQL orchestral libraries for about 3 years now for doing soundtrack work. It's all keyswitching. Tons of them. I've become very comfortable with using them. They're like second nature to me. I can't see Vir 2's keyswitching being so foreign and out in left field, especially after watching the videos, that they would give me any problems at all, especially since I'm a guitarist and physically know where these keyswitches should take place given the my style of guitar playing, which I'm ultimately going to end up emulating in my recordings. For example, I'm big on sliding notes, especially down at the end of phrases. Figuring out where to place the keyswitches for the slides, just as one example, should not be major rocket science for me.

Point is, just because you find the keyswitching unintuitive doesn't mean I will.

...really interesting discussion and opinions. What do you guys think about these libraries? They're a bit older, but they were the most extensive at the time (and still are in comparison to some) - does anyone have any experiences with these?

http://chrishein.net/web/CHG_Overview.html

http://prominy.com/products.htm

wagtunes wrote:Point is, just because you find the keyswitching unintuitive doesn't mean I will.
Understandable.

It's just that Musiclab's "engine" (brain, however you want to call it) is so simple to setup, customize and use. What you need keyswitches for in other tools, is built in with the brain "automatically" in Musiclab.

Also... the chord/bass&chord/bass&pick mode is just outstanding...

Once more... test the software. Maybe try RealGuitar Acoustic and RealLPC... The acoustic guitars have a different "brain" than the Electric Guitars (keyswitch wise)... but this should give you a nice insight on what this thing can do.

Also... if you're into Djent'y stuff, there are audio demos with RealLPC on Youtube that show exactly that (first three videos here. The official demo videos by the devs are also still online.

I can't add much more to the discussion other than "try it, find the right guitar pedal/amp/cabinet chain, have fun".

Return to “Instruments”