XLN RC-20 Retro Color

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RC-20 Retro Color

really like this one.
while it is brilliant sounding, well laid out and has zero cpu hit...it's a mite expensive really...
I'll no doubt end up with it in my tool box eventually, but for now- for those of you (...like me...) feeling the pinch between black friday and the REST of the shopping season, you may want to >>>go here<<< to grab Unstable and Imperfection until funds once again become available...or this goodie goes on a reasonable sale ;]
yeah... Unstable and Imperfection ARE 32bit, but you are on windows and you have jbridger, right? if not... THAT's a goody too. There are still loads of 32bit only tools that are still quite useful today :D

spacekid wrote:
elxsound wrote:
Ah_Dziz wrote:I played with the demo. It does bad tape better than most other things I've tried. The CPU isn't bad at all. It barely registers. If I didn't have so many other sound destroyers I'd be all over this. It's very easy to use and can achieve most Lo-Fi effects that you could want.
Yeah, you seem to be covered.

This is definitely a great too, but I wish it came out years ago.

Again, I really hope they build on the noise module. Its amazing, but still basic.
I seriously hope I am not the only one who is hearing the bad tones some of these modules are adding. I would hate to suffer noticing them on a final recording and wishing to go back and adjust it. Basically, turn the mix of the modules all the way up to test what new tones may be hiding in your mix. Then adjust the other settings of the module to hopefully reduce/cut that out. --then back down on the mix of course.
Which modules are you speaking of?

elxsound wrote:
spacekid wrote:
elxsound wrote:
Ah_Dziz wrote:I played with the demo. It does bad tape better than most other things I've tried. The CPU isn't bad at all. It barely registers. If I didn't have so many other sound destroyers I'd be all over this. It's very easy to use and can achieve most Lo-Fi effects that you could want.
Yeah, you seem to be covered.

This is definitely a great too, but I wish it came out years ago.

Again, I really hope they build on the noise module. Its amazing, but still basic.
I seriously hope I am not the only one who is hearing the bad tones some of these modules are adding. I would hate to suffer noticing them on a final recording and wishing to go back and adjust it. Basically, turn the mix of the modules all the way up to test what new tones may be hiding in your mix. Then adjust the other settings of the module to hopefully reduce/cut that out. --then back down on the mix of course.
Which modules are you speaking of?
I had no problem finding offend tones come out with all the modules. It just depended on the settings. Which I why I concluded that you must be careful with the plugin. I tested flipping through the presets first, then I began adding the modules one at a time and seeing what their limits/uses were. It's not a bad plugin, you just have to be careful nothing hides underneath.

I'm asking because some of the module are intended to make "bad tones" on purpose.

elxsound wrote:I'm asking because some of the module are intended to make "bad tones" on purpose.
Yep, unfortunately some people may not realize everything they are adding unless they boost their mix to check as some do with EQing. Just pointing out the technique to those who may not use it...with this plugin it's very helpful.

Ah_Dziz wrote:...I'm a huge fan of Lo-Fi stuff, but as someone who owns speakerphone, Chipcrusher, Sonitex, Izotope Vinyl, Audiothing's thing, and a couple other sound degraders...
You may be already knew about this one but I' ve personally discovered it just recently, so I'll mentione it anyway.
Truely like it.
https://goodhertz.co/wow-ctrl
Note : Mac only.

nordickvr wrote:
Ah_Dziz wrote:...I'm a huge fan of Lo-Fi stuff, but as someone who owns speakerphone, Chipcrusher, Sonitex, Izotope Vinyl, Audiothing's thing, and a couple other sound degraders...
You may be already knew about this one but I' ve personally discovered it just recently, so I'll mentione it anyway.
Truely like it.
I'm a fan of the way their plugins are designed, I like simplicity. Not a fan of mac-only..I left mac 10 years ago. Oh well. I would like to try it.
*well, they have a general survey for adding windows in the future(the survey doesn't seem to go through)but it doesn't let you explain reasons...which would be that windows retains program use longer than mac in general, with all the constant changes the Apple makes. I've never had to have WUP on anything, but if you have a Mac then you can't live without it..as one example. Personally, I like being able to work under the hood of my computer more, which is the main reason I switched.

spacekid wrote:
nordickvr wrote:
Truely like it.
I'm a fan of the way their plugins are designed, I like simplicity. Not a fan of mac-only..I left mac 10 years ago. Oh well. I would like to try it.
*well, they have a general survey for adding windows in the future(the survey doesn't seem to go through)but it doesn't let you explain reasons...which would be that windows retains program use longer than mac in general, with all the constant changes the Apple makes. I've never had to have WUP on anything, but if you have a Mac then you can't live without it..as one example. Personally, I like being able to work under the hood of my computer more, which is the main reason I switched.
Bad example... Actually no you don't need WUP... I don't remember the last time I paid for WUP (and I won't as I'm phasing out my Waves plugins) but over 3 major OS releases, the updates for Waves stuff has been covered.

elxsound wrote:
spacekid wrote:
nordickvr wrote:
Truely like it.
Bad example... Actually no you don't need WUP... I don't remember the last time I paid for WUP (and I won't as I'm phasing out my Waves plugins) but over 3 major OS releases, the updates for Waves stuff has been covered.
I've just heard from everyone that new mac versions require waves updates...but ok. I'm still not a fan of custom cases and components..If they fix that then I'll consider going back.

Caine123 wrote:how is it compared to satin?

if you got speakerphone would RC-20 have any benefit?
For specifically making a degraded tape sound it's far quicker than satin. It doesn't do tons of the other things satin does. The only area it beats speakerphone in is ease of use and that's at the trade-off of flexibility. It's worth the money for what it does if you don't already have something that can do all this. I would buy it if I wasn't already well covered in this area.
Also the reverb module on this is incredibly bizarre I'm a good way. I don't really know what it's doing but it sounds very interesting. I had a really good time.playing around with this yesterday.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

nordickvr wrote:
Truely like it.
Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately a Windows user so I can't use it.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Yeah, Retrocolor is WAY overpriced at 80 bucks - that Goodhertz thing however - which does a tiny fraction of what Retrocolor does - looks mightily interesting at 129$...

b.t.w.: I mainly visit KVR to read insanely stoopid stuff - it's fantastic for that. Whenever I want to feel like a proper genius, five minutes of browsing any arbitrary thread here will do.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:Yeah, Retrocolor is WAY overpriced at 80 bucks - that Goodhertz thing however - which does a tiny fraction of what Retrocolor does - looks mightily interesting at 129$...

b.t.w.: I mainly visit KVR to read insanely stoopid stuff - it's fantastic for that. Whenever I want to feel like a proper genius, five minutes of browsing any arbitrary thread here will do.

Lol
rsp
sound sculptist

jens wrote:Yeah, Retrocolor is WAY overpriced at 80 bucks - that Goodhertz thing however - which does a tiny fraction of what Retrocolor does - looks mightily interesting at 129$...

And 18,000 posts later... :lol:

:lol:

all one-liners... :hihi:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Return to “Effects”