KVR Dev Challenge 2016!

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dominus wrote: If you're looking for a thicker guitar tone, you kinda need to double track it. Lots of people have tried to thicken up tracks with plugins and nothing really works all that well.

*Or*

I actually wire my guitars to record two tracks at a time. I install a stereo jack into the guitar, the neck humbucker is wired to the Ring, the bridge humbucker wired to the Tip. Then I use a stereo splitter cable to go into two inputs on my interface. Then I use different amp sims/settings on each track. I get a nice thick sound.
Well if you're a guitarist, then it's easy - you can always record a second track :) But if you're not, and you need a guitar track in your song, then you need to come up with a way to pan it hard/rigt without f**ing it too much - 'cause all you have is that 1 track (or worse, sample).

As for the other solution...I always thought that the whole point was to have 2 distinct tracks - I mean wouldn't 1 doubled track just sound louder, and that's it? The playing would be identical... Hmm..I'lll ask my guitarist ;) Btw, I thought that 4 guitars tracks (2 each side) were aready the norm (in metal) ?!? :)
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

so far spaceship delay could be quite nice, if only it wouldn't abruptly cut off processing at roughly -45db (ping pong mode and no sync - no other delay-internal processing going on)... does not happen in single mode. can someone confirm?
also sometimes the gui get's screwed nicely, controls are overlaying. you have to switch back and forth in the respective algorithm.
and i'd wish for individual times when in ping pong mode.
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

so far spaceship delay could be quite nice, if only it wouldn't abruptly cut off processing at roughly -45db (ping pong mode and no sync - no other delay-internal processing going on)... does not happen in single mode. can someone confirm?
I can ! :lol: The attack control isn't set to OFF at minimum value, which is a stupid mistake, that will be corrected in next update :D
also sometimes the gui get's screwed nicely, controls are overlaying. you have to switch back and forth in the respective algorithm.
Strange... Did you use the last version of the plug-in ? I had an issue like that with 1.0.0, and that has been solved with 1.0.1 (with extra presets and an embedded tutorial as well)
i'd wish for individual times when in ping pong mode
In general, in ping pong mode there is only one delay value in other plug-ins as I have seen, but I was thinking also about adding extra delay modes such as a dual with the delay lines serial instead of parallel. I might add an extra ping pong mode as well (nice idea)

This Zampler Trickster version crashes in both x64 Live 9.7 and Reaper 5.9 or whatever is the newest anyway. Crash occurs on closing plugin UI after using it for a while. I think I remember the normal version crashing in the same way.

The Dark Moon sample set entry is quite nice, I was just getting into the mood testdriving it with two tracks recorded when boom, of course no save. I guess I'm not used to DAWs crashing anymore.

What do you guys think about Zampler in general?

Noisetar from Nusofting is really good , an original creative instrument.Work fine in Cubase Pro 8.5

.jon wrote:
The Dark Moon sample set entry is quite nice, I was just getting into the mood testdriving it with two tracks recorded when boom, of course no save. I guess I'm not used to DAWs crashing anymore.

What do you guys think about Zampler in general?
Thanks,glad you like The Dark Moon,about Zampler I used in Reaper,many istances and never crashes both 32/64 bit
12 years old PC running :Reaper;Reason;Dune;Zampler;Kontakr;Reaktor;and many others countless vst :D

hivkorn wrote:Noisetar from Nusofting is really good , an original creative instrument.Work fine in Cubase Pro 8.5
Absolutely original and well thought-out. The tooltips are great - still have to get along understanding the beast, which is fun.
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

reusenoise wrote:Thanks,glad you like The Dark Moon,about Zampler I used in Reaper,many istances and never crashes both 32/64 bit
I switched to normal Zampler RX and so far no crashes in Live, I get to dive deeper in the sounds. Very impressed so far. This Zampler thing seems to have a lot of appeal, it's simple and well layed out just like Dune (isn't this the same layout in fact?) and sounds great, and the idea that I don't have to make every sound from scratch could have some merit. But why did they remove MIDI learn?

Running some of your pads through Lagrange, pure aural bliss!

thomekk wrote:
hivkorn wrote:Noisetar from Nusofting is really good , an original creative instrument.Work fine in Cubase Pro 8.5
Absolutely original and well thought-out. The tooltips are great - still have to get along understanding the beast, which is fun.
Many thanks thomekk, hivkorn, and also aMUSEd, Taron and Ivan_C, for the positive comments about Noisetar.

For any questions and suggestions, I started this
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=474803

Cheers,

Do you need a vote for the technical side (I can't help here), or under the "operator" view?
With 45+ entries I've to make an initial non-tested "selection" so I apologize in addvance for this.

noizy wrote:
.jon wrote:
Chris-S wrote:Noizefield Refractor: No sound. Does not work in Reaktor 5 ?
Works in R6.
Hi,
It should work with Reaktor version 5.9.4 and above. A short tutorial video is on its way to explain the synth a bit.

Cheers
Max
I also can't get a sound out of it in 5.9.4 I've had this issue with a couple other ensembles as well and never been able to figure it out.
Even I was offended by what I was going to put here.
Newest Release, retro EBM, Brute Opposition - Unity of Command, released Sept '22 bandcamp link

idfpower wrote: Well usually panning the guitar tracks hard left and right relies on actually recording 2 separate tracks. The trouble (that I'm having) is when you only have 1 track and you try panning it hard left/right. Most plugins do that by splitting the signal and the end result is a weak and undefined guitar tone. It would be neat to have a free plugin that basically clones the track and then pans it left/right without losing clarity or adding arifacts.
It depends on on what you would call artifacts. The one things that annoys me, but is probably more a language thing, is when people say "the Stereo-Making plugin isn't mono-compatible", that is very misleading because true-real-life stereo isn't mono-compatible! What you want is not much (less than 3-6dB) drop in low registers, little/none predictable comb filtering, little/none static/predictable anything, and nothing that destroys/smears the transients too much.

With high-gain guitar sounds that are already processed, there isn't much options, it's always a bit of a compromise IMHO, but if you have the DI guitar signal-> there are tons of choices:

The most common is to add a bit of chorus to one 'copy' before the amplifier, if the transients are getting mushy, put the chorus on send and cut a big chunk (like -9dB to -16dB) out around 3kHz-5kHz and then blend in back before the amp sim.

A favorite of mine is two use two or three very very slow phasers(different phasers if possible) in series and 100% wet(different LFO speeds + no feedback) on the 'copy' signal, what this does is change the phase of the signal and therefore the peaks and if you then send that signal to a high-gain amp, different harmonic distortion relationships will occur.

Also another 80s/90s classic is to use a dual pitch shifter and shift a couple of cents up left and a couple cents down on right(also 100% wet), works best on a clean or DI signal - also before the amp. I use this function on my Yamaha SPX a lot, but don't like it much for metal, good for rock though.

Basically, just do all you widening tricks before the amp and not after, a combination of tricks in small amounts sometimes lead to better results, and cut out the high-mids on a send if the transients are are getting mushy.

Mini-reviews, part III

x32 stuff:

papua merdeka - I couldn't get anything useful out of this that I couldn't get from other synths, but easier and better.

Slam - solid-sounding drum synth, kick is very nice, but let down by the oversimplified interface. Multi-outs is a pretty crucial feature for a drum synth, and there's no way to edit most of the sounds.

antiknot one of the best-produced entries, it felt like a finished, perfectly usable tool. Great sound, quite versatile yet still easy to use with a well working random option. However the smallish, packed UI and the processing design was like a memory trip to the glory days of SE glitch multi-FX. Not saying that's a bad thing, just that I personally wouldn't really find a use this type of thing today.

At this point I got utterly fed up with dealing with x32 bridging and also Reaper, and wiped all the rest x32 only plugins without even opening them. I seem to have become allergic to fiddling with the computer when it comes to music, things need to work instantly, flawlessly and effortlessly, or be outrageously extraordinary and unique to bother with. Bridged plugins in an amateur mess of a DAW like Reaper just doesn't cut it anymore in 2016.

[ Guitar panning ]
Also a nice trick: use different amps (or same amp but different settings) for L and R.

.jon wrote: papua merdeka - I couldn't get anything useful out of this that I couldn't get from other synths, but easier and better.
:hug:

now you know why i say, my entry isn't a winner. who can compete with that?

maybe some of you can patch/hear a little better than our jon eh ;)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”