One Synth Challenge #94: Synth1 (Photonic Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just a little reminder:
Ideas anybody? Need more information from my side? ...
RuediRena wrote:Hey guys,

I have got a problem here with Synth1 and Wine 1.6.2 running on Ubuntu Studio 16.04.
All text based menus like patch bank window or the effects menu are completely empty. Everything else on the main GUI is written out as it should. Rather inconvenient, isn't it?
In the past this problem didn't exist. I haven't been using Synth1 after updating Ubuntu to the current version, so this might be the culprit. All respective .dll files and fonts seem to be still in place as far as I could see.
Solutions anyone?

TIA
Ruedi

RuediRena wrote:Just a little reminder:
Ideas anybody? Need more information from my side? ...
RuediRena wrote:Hey guys,

I have got a problem here with Synth1 and Wine 1.6.2 running on Ubuntu Studio 16.04.
All text based menus like patch bank window or the effects menu are completely empty. Everything else on the main GUI is written out as it should. Rather inconvenient, isn't it?
In the past this problem didn't exist. I haven't been using Synth1 after updating Ubuntu to the current version, so this might be the culprit. All respective .dll files and fonts seem to be still in place as far as I could see.
Solutions anyone?

TIA
Ruedi
Hey another penguin producer, nice!
Mine works perfect, but I use wine-rt 1.8 from the kxstudio repos.

You might wanna install gdiplus

Code: Select all

winetricks gdiplus

Lemme know if that fixes anything.
Also, join our slack channel. Very good for troubleshooting.
I helped J.Ruegg set up a Linux audio system too.
Btw, what DAW/ vst bridge do you use in Ubuntu?

rghvdberg wrote:
Hey rgh, thanks for answering.

Now I wouldn't say penguin producer. After all it is like using a crutch to work as if being on a Win system. I stopped using pure Linux sound for audio producing several years ago and now I know Reaper too well to switch back to let's say Ardour.
I have it already installed here :(
As said above I use the most recent Reaper version on an old 32 bit system, so no VST bridge is involved.

EDGEK8D wrote:I'm worried about laptop bedroom guys who work their tails off each month on a 2009 HP laptop and are able to get into the top 10 of the contest sometimes because they squeeze every bit of life out of that laptop.
Mine's a 2008 ASUS actually. :lol:

Well..all jokes a side, I still claim that free or Commercial plugs, or a state of the art computer will not give you the victory in OSC or any other competition for that matter. People tend to weigh in too much and give way too much credit to Equipment. I been fortunate in my past to meet and even gig with some famous musicians and I can tell you that skills and talent is Everything.

So when someone in OSC is disqualified because they happened to use a plug that is mag ware, paid version or in any way questionable as in being "free", then it's just a pity. Yes, there are rules to follow but things are not black or White and it can never be ;) .For each and everyone participating it's not Always clear what's allowed or not and that's why there are Always questions about it and interpretations of what is allowed or not. The Word for that is gamble. In the end its subjective and up to BJ Porter to decide.

There are still rules of what types of plugins are allowed and those rules shall not/must not ever be changed, or else I agree that the whole idea of OSC is lost. That's my $0.02 about this topic. There will be a vote in all democratic spirit (unless there will be any election fraud :D )
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

RuediRena wrote:
rghvdberg wrote:
Hey rgh, thanks for answering.

Now I wouldn't say penguin producer. After all it is like using a crutch to work as if being on a Win system. I stopped using pure Linux sound for audio producing several years ago and now I know Reaper too well to switch back to let's say Ardour.
I have it already installed here :(
As said above I use the most recent Reaper version on an old 32 bit system, so no VST bridge is involved.
Tough one. My guess is on the wine version.
You could add a ppa with a more recent wine (winehq ppa) or add the kxstudio repos to get more up to date wine and other audio related stuff.

Franvu wrote:
Jesus C wrote:Hey guys I wanna participate... in summary, everything must be done with synth1 even the drums, I can use freeware effects in mixing and no samples/commercial fx?
I am not sure about the drums this month.
It's too difficult to make drums with this synth.
Cheers.
We need to have a percussion synthesis tutorial/lesson. Synth 1 is excellent for drums, plus the added FM and Ring Mod help with hats.
Logic Pro X : Prophet Rev2, Blofeld, Toraiz-AS1, Model D, Minibrute, MOTU 828x, Presonus Eris E7's, dozens of pedals

rghvdberg wrote:My guess is on the wine version.
You could add a ppa with a more recent wine (winehq ppa) or add the kxstudio repos to get more up to date wine and other audio related stuff.
Thanks for your suggestions but adding ppas is no option here. I'm using my machine also for work and don't want to risk inconsistencies.

Have a nice day
Ruedi

Most of the drum & percussion synthesis techniques from Synth Secrets work well in Synth1, but the articles are currently only available via archive.org. :(

https://web.archive.org/web/20160403115 ... ecrets.htm

Here is my entry with 20 instances of Synth1 in Reaper.
Plugins: ReaEq, JS: LOSER/masterLimiter, Loud Max.
Commercial plugin Waves S1.
Dynamic range 7 .
https://soundcloud.com/slava-fiks/hectic-life
Last edited by sfiks on Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

RuediRena wrote:
rghvdberg wrote:My guess is on the wine version.
Thanks for your suggestions but adding ppas is no option here. I'm using my machine also for work and don't want to risk inconsistencies.

Have a nice day
Ruedi

That's a wise decision.
Maybe dual boot for audio stuff?

psmacmur wrote:Most of the drum & percussion synthesis techniques from Synth Secrets work well in Synth1, but the articles are currently only available via archive.org. :(

https://web.archive.org/web/20160403115 ... ecrets.htm
Synth Secrets is THE source IMHO.
There's a pdf with all articles floating around the interwebs. When I find it, I'll report.
Maybe I've already posted it in our slack channel.
Anyway, ttl

rghvdberg wrote:There's a pdf with all articles floating around the interwebs. When I find it, I'll report.
Google for "sos synth secrets pdf". Dunno if that pdf is legal, so I will post no direkt link.

Yup, it's in our Slack Channel, I just pinned it in #general
read OP how to (auto-)join our Slack channel.

I'm still clueless if this additional effects are allowed:

1) Multiband Compressors / using things like OTT will manipulate the sound much more than a chorus (which is not allowed)
2) Saturators like Barking Dog / same reason like 1
3) Heavy Compressors like Distorque Vitamin

Additional question:

I use to mixdown whole project in cubase and reload the wav to master it in cubase. Is that allowed?

Additional question: What is http://www.onesynthchallenge.org/ ?

Btw: Drums are not a problem in Synth1 ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NiZC0BY0Xo

Return to “Instruments”