KVR Dev Challenge 2016!

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I admit it, I failed to reveal it's unique quality, and of course there's my skill involved as much as the synth. But, finding the thing hasn't been this difficult with your other instruments.

well, usually the pressure to let everyone know what a piece of shit i am isn't so high as during a DC :)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

"Where there is certainty, consideration is absent."
What a sad truth that is. Great line, xoxos. Don't diminish the wisdom of your signature with this sort of attempt at emotional extortion. It's not necessary nor very becoming. Jon is a pretty rough sorta fellow, but it takes all kind, you know that.
I'm not too thrilled about "ordinary" synths, either, but I'm still impressed about everything you guys pull off, when it comes to coding. Great job!
The kicker with those rather normal synths is to try to provide a different kind of access to the features, which helps to inspire. You have made the nice modulation setup, but for an otherwise hard to handle and crude sounding mono synth. Though I'm sure it's been a really good coding exercise! There's nothing wrong with that, and no reason to beat on yourself. Rather celebrate what you've already accomplished and keep moving forward!
I know I will and I'm completely aware of mine having been a coding exercise. It's my second go at a vst, you know. Anyhow, I'm very happy with it, even if I'm even happier about where I may be taking it, once I'm allowed to again, hehe. I hope, people can appreciate it, but if they didn't, I'd not be broken up over it and neither should you be. Assume the position of a winner for your cause and keep evolving your powers! :tu:

This is just my personal way of enjoying and doing the DC. 100% honest mini reviews about the plugins and nothing else, for whatever they are worth.

Grab a plugin, see how it works, record something and see where it takes me. Write some notes, what worked and what sucked- we're the judges, you know :wink:

Yep, I totally get that and, you know what, it's perfectly fine. Great that you go through them in the first place! :tu:
Sure, as a dev it hurts, but you totally present a face of reality. Sugar-coating it won't change a thing. Feels a bit nicer, but there are plenty of folks, who take care of the gentle side and encourage, where more encouragement is really needed.

Anyhow, did you get to slay mine, yet? :) (I don't remember, somehow :shrug: )

Ichad.c wrote:
idfpower wrote: With high-gain guitar sounds that are already processed, there isn't much options, it's always a bit of a compromise IMHO, but if you have the DI guitar signal-> there are tons of choices:
I was talking (more or less) about "synth guitars", not about real guitar tracks recorded. You know, when you're not a guitarist, but you know how to lay down a handful of notes in piano roll, you have a synth that can put out some sort of guitar-like tone and you need a distorted guitar track in your song ;)

It still puzzles me that RG is the only thing that comes close to it, and there's no competition whatsoever. Everybody's releasing large Kontakt libraries, but nothing packed into a vst form that can be used just like any other synth playing a bunch of notes from a piano roll. Yeah, it won't sound (yet) 100% believable, but good enough for the average listener.

Hm, maybe I'm the only one in need of such an instrument, heh :)
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

I thought http://www.spicyguitar.com/ was kinda nice! :shrug:

* distorted guitar vst
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

My solution to multitracking guitars is to map multiple voices in the sampler, with the "extra" voices made by transposing higher notes down to the pitch we want. I guess most Kontakt libraries reuse round robins instead, and I've done that also but it's not very colorful. Sure the transposition trick is technically unrealistic, especially in the upper register as you run out of notes to steal, but I like the sound much better. So, I'm kinda with you on the "give me a nice guitarish sound with a moderate dose of realism" thing.

Taron wrote:Yep, I totally get that and, you know what, it's perfectly fine. Great that you go through them in the first place! :tu:
Sure, as a dev it hurts, but you totally present a face of reality. Sugar-coating it won't change a thing. Feels a bit nicer, but there are plenty of folks, who take care of the gentle side and encourage, where more encouragement is really needed.

Anyhow, did you get to slay mine, yet? :) (I don't remember, somehow :shrug: )
I'm a creative pro and of course it hurts, it's your goddamn baby :D It's perfect, work of a genius! The groundbreaking next big thing! But you need to bite that lip and look past the emotional defense reaction- the critic didn't say you suck, he said this thing you did sucks. It's up to you to consider this opinion (which can well be worthless, it often is), but if nobody ever honestly tells you what they think, you actually start to suck. Not just your work.

Anyway, xoxos is sort of a hero of all things left field in the VST world, having produced a boatload of original, astonishing instruments. One such a previous winner of this very competition. I bet I'm not the only one who expected something more adventurous from him. This didn't really affect my opinion as such, but I probably wouldn't even have downloaded that kind of synth if it wasn't by him.

No, just mentioned LOTS shortly with a "<3", still many to review :ud:

AH, haha! :hihi: ...that's promising! ;) Thanks!
I've gotta go at it, too. I did try Snare Buzz ( :tu: ), which is curiously useful, actually! Especially on such things like the OSC here on KVR. I used it on my Demo03 update yesterday, really giving the extra hizz to the snare and an extra hihat.

Beyond that I looked at a few of the synths. But outside of Noisetar ( :hyper: ) somehow nothing quite tickled me that much, but I did like qyooo ( :tu: ) as a kind of workhorse synth with the great matrix concept (scene morphing).

Still more to go through, though... ...it's great to scout for new "toys" to use for an OSC track. :phones:

Hi, my first love go to the AXP amp, which sounds awesome for what I tried so far, as many of all the free fx of the same developr, but..
any love for antiknot effect? Almost each time I'm hitting the random function it delivers such good tweaking to whatever I feed into it. :-)

YKK dudes, your spin doctor is showing :oops:

one of the things about audio synthesis you clowns have failed to obscure is that a technology has no qualitative value in application.

musicians employ a diversity of semantics - eg. one of the more long-lived freeware synths "mr. alias" exploits what is considered to be inferior in dsp to be advantageous to composition. so it is with many common effects, such as bit reduction.

if you personally fail to recognise or elicit the difference between this audio engine and others, you could ask before stating it is valueless, or "a humble beginning from which to set your sights higher" - "emotional manipulation" you say, eat a bag of dog cockrings and eat them all day so you can catch up. how unkind of you to insinuate that this process is hardly developed.

the audio engine was coded to achieve a specific function, its use as a rudimentary generalised synthesis platform was also availed. if you're unimpressed or can't discern advantage to the method, shucks, i'm unimpressed all day but the only time i post about it is when it's a very obvious attempt to subvert public perception.

for starters, the performance feature of velocity glide is found on... which other synths? if you can't find the application for it, i've given this for anyone to use, how is that a concern? don't vote for it.

obviously my intent to equip the commubnity with a novel process (don't just play note in the middle of the synth range if your only interest is timbral perception) and raise public awareness about a travesty of injustice is worth saying it is of no interest of value. thanks for your input :)

really you'll find i am often giving enough to indulge such persons in the time to post a reply, of course you ronly interest is in detracting from my public reception so all it is to you is an opportunity to write more bullshit about me and my dsp.

if you were astute you'd notice i have no pride in my public reputation as it was stripped from me years ago, before several "popular" forum members decided to lie and say i'd "threatened hovmod's children" (what i had said was, supporting mining was detracting from future generations, and, folks, that's what they did with it! now apparently i'm out to murder children because i'm environmentally concionable..)

this industry is all about making money, and how interested folks is in keeping things that way instead of eg., oh, educating the public, you can see right here. buy your synths.

all of this is evidenced in my description for this vst. i already knew i'd get slammed by the "cryptos" so why bother talking about the dsp or anything that matters? we're here to make money and subvert, who cares about west papua, who cares about xoxos, who cares about you. you'd have had to have been here for a long, long time to see the deeper part of some of these things, and we can count on that criteria not fitting a good portion of the readership.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Got it. Need nothin' more from ya'. :smack:

Taron wrote::smack:
:lol:

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”