Dune 2 ...absolutely fantastic ..audio rate modulation ..lil appreciation thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fluffy_little_something wrote: But why would I buy it when the demo already eats my CPU alive with a primitive one-saw pad without any effects?
Then don't buy it. Like I said above DUNE 2 has run with no CPU issues on five different systems here. There is no way it should "eat your CPU alive with a primitive one-saw pad without any effects". People would have been bitching to high heaven if DUNE 2 ate their CPU's alive and it probably would not have sold more than a handful of units. I would have been bitching to high heaven.

It's like your "Blip" issue. If you can't provide any evidence....beyond what you say....and the evidence at hand is contrary to your claims one can only assume your claims are unfounded and made either out of spite or inexperience. I'm willing to bet the latter has at least something to do with it. :wink:

But if you feel you have a legitimate issue then report it to Synapse. But be prepared back up you claim with evidence or there is little chance that even if the issue is legitimate it will be solved.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

chk071 wrote:
Dasheesh wrote: My hope is that spire will get to this level soon. It's why I'm hanging onto it for now.
The only thing D2 does better IMO is that the resonance behavior in the filters is better. Spire would need some new zdf filters, self-oscillating, and with more resonance, but, keeping the same characteristic the filters have now, that'd be awesome. In any other regard, it is IMO superior to D2, but, hey, each to his like. In both D1 and D2, i find the envelopes pretty strawy, soft, dry, and nothing like the "bang" you have in synths like Spire, Largo, or, the bestest in that regard, Monark. Also, i don't find the saw unison sound too pleasant, it always has something harsh, and disharmonious to it (and on Dune 1, obviously, the stereo spread was linear, so it didn't get nearly as "wide" as other synths). If you don't care about these things, then it's surely a good choice, maybe rather for the softer tones.

Spire is really one of the few synth, which seem to have that hardware vibe, considering the envelopes and filters. Not sure why other devs just don't get around to achieve that. Waldorf's soft synths are also very nice in that regard. Just, a lot of "bang".
Did you try the new analogue envelopes that were recently added to Dune 2?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote:
chk071 wrote:
Dasheesh wrote: My hope is that spire will get to this level soon. It's why I'm hanging onto it for now.
The only thing D2 does better IMO is that the resonance behavior in the filters is better. Spire would need some new zdf filters, self-oscillating, and with more resonance, but, keeping the same characteristic the filters have now, that'd be awesome. In any other regard, it is IMO superior to D2, but, hey, each to his like. In both D1 and D2, i find the envelopes pretty strawy, soft, dry, and nothing like the "bang" you have in synths like Spire, Largo, or, the bestest in that regard, Monark. Also, i don't find the saw unison sound too pleasant, it always has something harsh, and disharmonious to it (and on Dune 1, obviously, the stereo spread was linear, so it didn't get nearly as "wide" as other synths). If you don't care about these things, then it's surely a good choice, maybe rather for the softer tones.

Spire is really one of the few synth, which seem to have that hardware vibe, considering the envelopes and filters. Not sure why other devs just don't get around to achieve that. Waldorf's soft synths are also very nice in that regard. Just, a lot of "bang".
Did you try the new analogue envelopes that were recently added to Dune 2?
Yes, he says they're still not good enough. Not enough 'bang', 'snap'..whatever that means.

Yorrrrrr wrote: Yes, he says they're still not good enough. Not enough 'bang', 'snap'..whatever that means.

Well, Spires envelopes move at about the approximate speed of light so...

Teksonik wrote:
chk071 wrote:if he posts that he has worse performance than on Sylenth1 or Hybrid 3, then i'd at least believe that
I can only believe the facts I have at hand. DUNE 2's CPU demand has been very light here on five different systems. Is it possible that DUNE 2 is not optimized for AMD CPU's ? Possibly but again we would have heard about it from someone else long ago.
My old machine is a quad core AMD. No CPU probs here with D2 even at highest settings.

Dune 2 is my favorite synth. Emvelopes are good... if not I use the MSEGs. Cpu is great. Soubd is superb. Great skins available. I havent really tapped into audio rate modulation, but as some have said it is probably decent given the construct of the computer.

I guess if u dont like it... dont buy it lol.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Now all we need is that damn zoomable GUI... :D

2ZrgE wrote:Now all we need is that damn zoomable GUI... :D
As the have done it with Legend (to some extent) i would guess it will prob come with D3.

I guess it depends on whether they think they could boost sales with a new GUI. I know there not a charity organization helping people with poor eyesight just for free. :D

Unfortunately it doesn't help if D3 will get a new GUI when I own D2.

Upgrade to D3

Teksonik wrote:Then don't buy it. Like I said above DUNE 2 has run with no CPU issues on five different systems here. There is no way it should "eat your CPU alive with a primitive one-saw pad without any effects". People would have been bitching to high heaven if DUNE 2 ate their CPU's alive and it probably would not have sold more than a handful of units. I would have been bitching to high heaven.

It's like your "Blip" issue. If you can't provide any evidence....beyond what you say....and the evidence at hand is contrary to your claims one can only assume your claims are unfounded and made either out of spite or inexperience. I'm willing to bet the latter has at least something to do with it. :wink:

But if you feel you have a legitimate issue then report it to Synapse. But be prepared back up you claim with evidence or there is little chance that even if the issue is legitimate it will be solved.
I found out that I still had the modulation quality setting at audio rate yesterday because I had been experimenting with such modulation before. When set to normal the overload goes away, but then again, I don't even have any modulation in the basic pad where the overload happens, so why would it even matter? I can also turn off the filter envelope (sometimes referred to as modulation envelope) completely, same result...).
At Normal the CPU load is about the same as with Sylenth1 and even less than with Hybrid 3.

Soundwise I find D2 a bit fluffy and grainy, not as shiny and silky as Hybrid 3, especially when increasing the number of waves like on that Saw Strings patch. But that's just a matter of taste, of course :)

Yes, a 125% option would be nice.

AnX wrote:Upgrade to D3
Didn't know D3 was already out...gonna check that... :clown:

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Yes, a 125% option would be nice.
i was thinking 150% :D

I was thinking so too at first, but I think it would result in the Predator 2 problem where on many displays a part of the GUI disappears :P

Return to “Instruments”