AAS Chromophone vs Ableton Collision...same or different?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,
Does anyone have any experience with both and some observations on each?
Thanks.

xalama qo wrote:Hi guys,
Does anyone have any experience with both and some observations on each?
Thanks.
I believe that all of the Ableton plugins that are based on AAS technology are built around the v1 of that technology. I don't recall the details, however, IIRC, Chromaphone 2 was a significant upgrade to V1.

It's one of a few AAS synths that I'd actually like to have, but, I'm not all that impressed with Collision.

Cool, thanks. I was listening to the Chromophone 2 audio demos and it sounds fantastic. Was wondering if Collision is on the same level for much cheaper, $79 vs $199 iirc, but C2 is on sale now for $99.
I downloaded the demo to check out asap. Looking forward to seeing what it can do.

Collison is based on the first version of Chromaphone, but without the coupling of resonators so not capable of such a range of sounds although it does have the advantage over Chromaphone 1 of better midi performance modulations (Chromaphone 2 rectifies that to an extent and also has an additional model)

Thanks, I was wondering if Collision was a slightly stripped down version too. The wording on the Ableton site implies that there are some differences.

I just listened to the Chromophone 2 demo. It sounds interesting. Not really sure what it would add to my already massive sound pallet but it does sound interesting. I have their String Studio, which I hardly ever use. Just something about it doesn't inspire me. Go figure.

Leave it to Simon to make anything sound amazing.

I do have one question, because this is something about String Studio that drives me crazy and part of the reason I don't use it. Does Chromaphone 2 have an INIT patch button or at least patch? String Studio does not. You have to find an existing patch that is relatively close to what you want to program, unless you want to go twisting a whole bunch of knobs. I find it gets in the way of my creative process whereas if I have an init patch, like a typical synth's sawtooth default, I work better that way.

I can't remember if it has an init patch, but it would only take a minute of your time to make your own and save it for later recall...
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:I can't remember if it has an init patch, but it would only take a minute of your time to make your own and save it for later recall...
And therein lies the rub. Make it from what patch? With all the different parameters, equally as many as String Studio, from where? That's why I've never done it with String Studio. Picking a starting point is close to impossible.

I am pretty sure it has an INIT patch. I will verify this later. About to go into a session.

wagtunes wrote:
deastman wrote:I can't remember if it has an init patch, but it would only take a minute of your time to make your own and save it for later recall...
And therein lies the rub. Make it from what patch? With all the different parameters, equally as many as String Studio, from where? That's why I've never done it with String Studio. Picking a starting point is close to impossible.
It's possible. Just use your imagination.

String Studio.
A synth dedicated to strings. What are you expecting in the init patch? A sawtooth wave? Simply selected the most plain pluck and go from there.

Bank 2 - Plucked
Program - Concert Guitar

That's your init for String Studio. It's plain and very easy to twist to what you desire.

Chromaphone.
Same as above. Pick the first simple and plain thing you see:

Bank 1: Mallets
Program1: Farimount Marimba.

A plain mallet sound ready to be twisted to anything you like.
Just change both resonators to Plate and String and your marimba is no more. So simple. Just a little imagination does wonders.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
It's possible. Just use your imagination.

String Studio.
A synth dedicated to strings. What are you expecting in the init patch? A sawtooth wave? Simply selected the most plain pluck and go from there.

Bank 2 - Plucked
Program - Concert Guitar

That's your init for String Studio. It's plain and very easy to twist to what you desire.

Chromaphone.
Same as above. Pick the first simple and plain thing you see:

Bank 1: Mallets
Program1: Farimount Marimba.

A plain mallet sound ready to be twisted to anything you like.
Just change both resonators to Plate and String and your marimba is no more. So simple. Just a little imagination does wonders.
Thanks. That actually does work. Don't know why I didn't think of that.

There is no INIT file, but it seems you are sorted.

Return to “Instruments”