KVR Dev Challenge 2016!

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

xoxos wrote: if you personally fail to recognise or elicit the difference between this audio engine and others, you could ask before stating it is valueless, or "a humble beginning from which to set your sights higher" - "emotional manipulation" you say, eat a bag of dog cockrings and eat them all day so you can catch up. how unkind of you to insinuate that this process is hardly developed.
I'm sorry but you're really reading things into my review that simply aren't included in it. Let's read it together one more time:

"I couldn't get anything useful out of this that I couldn't get from other synths, but easier and better."

This sentence isn't an absolute statement of objective value, it implicitly restricts itself into the humble boundaries of my skills. Now you can interpret this:

a) the subject is fool and can't tell a synth from a horse, and has tons of really expensive synths with awesome presets and vomit songs with one keypress
b) the synth is hard to use
c) what does it mean if both a) and b) are false?
the audio engine was coded to achieve a specific function, its use as a rudimentary generalised synthesis platform was also availed. if you're unimpressed or can't discern advantage to the method, shucks, i'm unimpressed all day but the only time i post about it is when it's a very obvious attempt to subvert public perception.
Yours is but one of the plugins I've posted about, and there's more to come.
for starters, the performance feature of velocity glide is found on... which other synths? if you can't find the application for it, i've given this for anyone to use, how is that a concern? don't vote for it.

obviously my intent to equip the commubnity with a novel process (don't just play note in the middle of the synth range if your only interest is timbral perception) and raise public awareness about a travesty of injustice is worth saying it is of no interest of value. thanks for your input :)
The Papua aspect of your synth is commendable. The exploitation of Papua has been going on for decades, including armed conflicts between natives and western companies. This kind of shit is not really restricted to Papua, however, and the best way to fight it is imo minimising consumption. Free software has a role in this.
really you'll find i am often giving enough to indulge such persons in the time to post a reply, of course you ronly interest is in detracting from my public reception so all it is to you is an opportunity to write more bullshit about me and my dsp.

if you were astute you'd notice i have no pride in my public reputation as it was stripped from me years ago, before several "popular" forum members decided to lie and say i'd "threatened hovmod's children" (what i had said was, supporting mining was detracting from future generations, and, folks, that's what they did with it! now apparently i'm out to murder children because i'm environmentally concionable..)

this industry is all about making money, and how interested folks is in keeping things that way instead of eg., oh, educating the public, you can see right here. buy your synths.
I don't care about your reputation in the eyes of others, it's not in my power, and it doesn't have anything to do with what I think about this synth. The synth didn't work for me.
all of this is evidenced in my description for this vst. i already knew i'd get slammed by the "cryptos" so why bother talking about the dsp or anything that matters? we're here to make money and subvert, who cares about west papua, who cares about xoxos, who cares about you. you'd have had to have been here for a long, long time to see the deeper part of some of these things, and we can count on that criteria not fitting a good portion of the readership.
If the DSP doesn't turn into something musically interesting via user interaction with the instrument, the DSP doesn't matter. Technical novelty isn't a value in itself for a musical instrument.

.jon wrote: If the DSP doesn't turn into something musically interesting
well maybe next DC they can have "musically valid" as a criteria for the dsp :hug:

please, reply soon :hyper:
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Interesting may not mean the same as valid in common English, but I guess what's actually written doesn't matter to you very much.

You're free to create your own universe :zzz:

.jon wrote:Interesting may not mean the same as valid in common English, but I guess what's actually written doesn't matter to you very much.

You're free to create your own universe :zzz:
meeeeeeeow.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

:o
Uhhh, I'll just be like this: :phones:
...it's like that Winger video where the kid's parents are fighting so he puts on the headphones and cranks it up, man! :D
OPL2 is forever

xoxos wrote:meeeeeeeow.
You could have just posted a sound demo with your synth proving my assessment blatantly wrong, but instead you start a ridiculous argument and as "last word", you type cat sounds. You don't really need any help with ruining your reputation :hug:

Since there's no Malefica thread, I'll put this here: it tries to write text logs to the plugin directory. The dev wanted to do that for their first plugin release, but under Windows if you keep your plugins in Program Files that means it won't run unless your user has access to write to that folder - which is bad practice from a security point of view. No idea about Mac. So, stick Malefica in a non-Program-Files plugin folder.

It sounds good, though, for all the talk of being extreme metal I like it for slight overdrive, and the tone control does both low pass and high pass filtering depending on how it's turned - like the filter on a DJ controller, but much less extreme - which is nice.

Malefica, yes, I was just looking for a thread for it, too. It's really quite nice! Don't know about the log issues, but I found it strange that finding the mono/stereo switch feels somehow accidental...took me a moment. But I really like it.
- sound is great
- control feels right
- look is totally fun
- all around it's plenty of joy!

Good job on that! :tu:

I have to admit, though I tried a few, I generally find myself ignoring entries that don't offer 64bit compiles. I'm just sorry that I can't offer mac compiles and understand, if mac users were to choose to ignore mine.
However, I can't even understand why nowadays anyone wouldn't compile for 64bit or somehow chooses to depend on some environment that doesn't offer it. Bridging works, but it's ugly at times and somewhat unstable, too.
I'm sure people still do great work in the 32bit realm, but... :shrug: ...I just hope that this event helps to push people towards 64bit yet some more.

Yeah, no Malefica thread, but I talked to the dev on Twitter a bit, so if anybody's got questions about it, that might be the best contact option.

Why is he so shy about popping up here? :scared: :lol:

Taron wrote:...I just hope that this event helps to push people towards 64bit yet some more.
Maybe some music-makers might never abandon their 32-bit plugins for the 64-bit because maybe most don't use huge sample libraries to make their music and maybe most have already amassed thousands of 32-bit plugins and this bridging thingy is a PITA?
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

What has "abandoning 32bit plugins" to do with a call for creating 64bit plugins? :dog:
AHHH.... the word "people" got confusing.... I'm talking about developers!

Anyway, if I, someone, who has right now attempted his second vst, with his first vst still in progress, who is using the free MS Visual Studio Express, the free vstsdk and the free vstgui 4.3, have no trouble whatsoever to compile for 64bit and 32bit, it shouldn't be so hard to make that happen. :shrug: ...just sayin'.
Of course, I'm pretty sure there is a sizable crowd, relying on these libraries or tools like synthmaker or what they're called, possibly not supporting 64bit creations?! I just think they underestimate themselves. I sure know it's really, really painful to get started and it took me an agonizing while to figure out the SDK enough to make my first successful compile, pffff. But piece by piece you get a handle on it and end up with much greater freedom, I imagine. But I don't know that.

So, yeah, I'm not asking anybody to abandon his old tools. I'm asking developers to catch up to the state of things.

Yes but why would developers keep making 64-bit plugins if the only reason to make such plugins is to please the music-makers that uses huge sample libraries. Does this mean that the music-makers of the future will all be reliant on using huge sample libraries? Maybe those type of music-makers is the minority and will always be the minority? And if that is the case, why should VST plugin makers bother with 64-bit creations?

Is this analogy faulty?

Lamborghini = 64-bit plugins
Ford F-Series = 32-bit plugins
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

Please, don't continue writing about it, Harry. I beg you! You do understand that computer now come at 64bit, right? No new conventional computer is being built below that nowadays. It has nothing to do with anybody's need to exhaust the 2.5Gb memory limit of 32bit, though it is but an additional factor. It has everything to do with ease of installation, ease of use across various DAWs, ease of integration in current workflows and so on and so on.
You have a talent, though, Harry, you really do! :clap: ...I allow readers to guess what talent that might be, but it ain't helping your case! ;)

OH, and, yes, that's a faulty analogy!

64bit = car of any brand for the last 10 years
32bit = car of any brand from before then

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”