RAPID Synthesizer | Rapid 1.8.0 released | Free "SP - Granular Elements"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

I can't see the point of any additions to import without basic playability first. Their priorities are all wrong.

If anything, I vote for true FM between oscillators like in Serum before any other additions.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

aMUSEd wrote:I can't see the point of any additions to import without basic playability first. Their priorities are all wrong.
Not in my book :) So, no they "are" not wrong, you "may find" them wrong

aMUSEd wrote:I can't see the point of any additions to import without basic playability first. Their priorities are all wrong.
No their priorities just don't cover with yours. That's a difference! :wink: To me the wavetable and sample import has priority to make it usable in my tracks.

Even as an amatuer not so good player i'm quite shocked about lack of sustain, aftertouch (and sostenuto, lacking interest of MPE etc.) in the desktop synth world.
Sure you can do a lot of movements via automations and modwheel etc. but there can be such a huge different if you add those expressions on top to make synths almost feel like acoustic instruments. Even the mobile music world is way better here.
Of course a useless meaning of a single voice here for most people but let me repeat....i'm quite shocked how static the desktop music world seems to be sometimes (at least for synths) and how slowly it evolves. I love automations and modulations but sometimes they are just like complex repeating loops rather than give you a feel of playing an instrument.

Cinebient wrote:Even as an amatuer not so good player i'm quite shocked about lack of sustain, aftertouch (and sostenuto, lacking interest of MPE etc.) in the desktop synth world.
Sure you can do a lot of movements via automations and modwheel etc. but there can be such a huge different if you add those expressions on top to make synths almost feel like acoustic instruments. Even the mobile music world is way better here.
Of course a useless meaning of a single voice here for most people but let me repeat....i'm quite shocked how static the desktop music world seems to be sometimes (at least for synths) and how slowly it evolves. I love automations and modulations but sometimes they are just like complex repeating loops rather than give you a feel of playing an instrument.
I agree. But we are talking prio's at this point in time. i would love to see all of those keyboard midi-in's like SP, polyphonic AT (etc). However, for a DAW vst based on Wavetables, i'd rather see custom import possibilities being added first. That's all.

Ofcourse, a synth isn't really complete without those keyboard additions for keyboard/piano players. Luckily it will get implemented (in time).

Soundplex wrote:
No their priorities just don't cover with yours. That's a difference! :wink: To me the wavetable and sample import has priority to make it usable in my tracks.
And my point was, why would this make them 'usable' if you can't even play them properly on a keyboard?

aMUSEd wrote:
Soundplex wrote:
And my point was, why would this make them 'usable' if you can't even play them properly on a keyboard?
It is already usable. It is not a standalone synth. It is a VST for in a DAW. It has pitchtracking, modwheel support and that's the basics we need :) Now the dev can add stuff. And i am glad he picked custom importing over AT and SP. But hey, that's just me :tu: 8)

Actually the sustain pedal message and all other 128 MIDI messages are selectable as modulation source within Rapid.

It's just that the "hold" of notes is not implemented. Some host like FL Studio let you choose the option
"Support hold and sostenuto", which does exactly what everyone is asking for - holding notes. In my opinion every DAW should handle that automatically. Unfortunately, this now requires an additional button, which will be there in an update. It's not that hard, but Mac has a higher priority.
If you don't want to wait, you could also use Source: MIDI CC64 on Target: Envelope A > Release Time. Which mimics that behavior, but is not true infinite hold.

aMUSEd wrote:
Soundplex wrote:
In my case: I love the piano roll. Probably like many others too :wink: I use my keyboard to quickly compose a melody but not to play complex arrangements...

exmatproton wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
Soundplex wrote:
It is already usable. It is not a standalone synth. It is a VST for in a DAW. It has pitchtracking, modwheel support and that's the basics we need :) Now the dev can add stuff. And i am glad he picked custom importing over AT and SP. But hey, that's just me :tu: 8)
The fact that it's not a standalone is irrelevant. It lacks the basics for a keyboard player to play it. Whatever it can or can't import is of little value if you can't play it properly with a keyboard.

aMUSEd wrote:
exmatproton wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
Soundplex wrote:
The fact that it's not a standalone is irrelevant. It lacks the basics for a keyboard player to play it. Whatever it can or can't import is of little value if you can't play it properly with a keyboard.
Ok

Soundplex wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
Soundplex wrote:
In my case: I love the piano roll. Probably like many others too :wink: I use my keyboard to quickly compose a melody but not to play complex arrangements...
This is the problem - clearly some developers have lost touch with the needs of musicians that can play instruments and are getting too focused on mouse driven composition.

aMUSEd wrote:This is the problem - clearly some developers have lost touch with the needs of musicians that can play instruments and are getting too focused on mouse driven composition.
Let us remember the keyboard performance video Mirko Ruta did with Rapid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_gHDi3yzgY

parawave wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:This is the problem - clearly some developers have lost touch with the needs of musicians that can play instruments and are getting too focused on mouse driven composition.
Let us remember the keyboard performance video Mirko Ruta did with Rapid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_gHDi3yzgY
Perhaps he should have remembered to ask for sustain support :lol:

Return to “Instruments”