Bazille StackV and +5V Sources

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all,

I was just tinkering with Bazille and I'm curious to learn more about using the "StackV" and "+5V" internal sources in the "MIDI & More" section. The manual explains that +5V can be used to create DC offsets (which can affect filter distortion characteristics). Sounds cool. But how would I go about doing that?

Also, the manual explains that StackV is identical to +5V when Stack is set to 1, +5V / -5V when Stack is set to 2 and +5V / 0V / -5V when Stack is set to 3. But don't those last two cancel eachother out since the opposite voltages counter eachother? How would that be useful?

Please keep in mind that I'm new to using constant voltages. I'm just wondering how these internal sources would be useful. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks :tu:

-- Bryan Lake

The +5v output is very useful. Think of it as an offset for anything.

If you have a Bipolar LFO, the +5v can be used to make it unipolar. Connect the output of an LFO and the +5v into separate inputs on a Multiplexer, set the Gain for both channels to 50 and at the output you have your unipolar LFO.

Send the +5v and an oscillator to two inputs of a Multiplexer and the output of the same, to a rectifier. Connect the rectifier output to a filter input. Connect the high-pass output to an output VCA. Now sweep the gain control for the input, to which the 5v is connected. This should result in some pretty dramatic wave shaping.

I often use the +5v with a channel of a Multiplexer, as kind of a Macro control. For example, route the +5v to an input on a Multiplexer and the output to the PD Mod inputs on each oscillator. Set the PD Mod depth for each oscillator to 100 (or tried different settings for each osc) and the PD Values to 0. You can now control the wave shape for all oscillators with the gain control for that channel of the Multiplexer. You can do the same with any CV-able parameter.

The StackV is useful if you want to control something on a per-voice basis. For example, if you set the Stack to 2, and connect StackV to the PD input, set the PD mod depth to 100 and the PD value to 0, you can effectively get 2 different wave shapes from one oscillator.

You can also use the VoiceStack from the list of modulation sources for the pan control in the output section. With this you can pan stacked voices across the stereo field (very nice for doing huge, detuned, unison patches).

justin3am wrote:The +5v output is very useful. Think of it as an offset for anything.

If you have a Bipolar LFO, the +5v can be used to make it unipolar. Connect the output of an LFO and the +5v into separate inputs on a Multiplexer, set the Gain for both channels to 50 and at the output you have your unipolar LFO.

Send the +5v and an oscillator to two inputs of a Multiplexer and the output of the same, to a rectifier. Connect the rectifier output to a filter input. Connect the high-pass output to an output VCA. Now sweep the gain control for the input, to which the 5v is connected. This should result in some pretty dramatic wave shaping.

I often use the +5v with a channel of a Multiplexer, as kind of a Macro control. For example, route the +5v to an input on a Multiplexer and the output to the PD Mod inputs on each oscillator. Set the PD Mod depth for each oscillator to 100 (or tried different settings for each osc) and the PD Values to 0. You can now control the wave shape for all oscillators with the gain control for that channel of the Multiplexer. You can do the same with any CV-able parameter.

The StackV is useful if you want to control something on a per-voice basis. For example, if you set the Stack to 2, and connect StackV to the PD input, set the PD mod depth to 100 and the PD value to 0, you can effectively get 2 different wave shapes from one oscillator.

You can also use the VoiceStack from the list of modulation sources for the pan control in the output section. With this you can pan stacked voices across the stereo field (very nice for doing huge, detuned, unison patches).
Thanks Justin! Those are excellent tips! I will try all of those tomorrow once I get some sleep. I understand there is a tried-and-true highpass technique for creating DC offset. Do you know about this?

Sound Author wrote:I understand there is a tried-and-true highpass technique for creating DC offset. Do you know about this?
Hmm... I don't know of a way to create DC offset with a high-pass filter. You can remove a DC offset from a signal by running it through a high-pass filter. You can create a DC offset by running a bipolar signal through a rectifier.

A high-pass set to 0 with some resonance may do this, I wager, should get a bump on freqs around zero meaning a DC offset like thing. Have not tried in bazille.
PhasePhckr (modular MPE VSTi) G+
Fatar88Lux (dyi MIDI brain) bitbucket
Assault Opera - sound cloud | spotify

I really appreciate the help so far, guys. I'm having a blast this morning messing with the +5V output.

I like this situation: Route an oscillator to one of the inputs of a Multiplexer and send its output to a Rectifier. Then send the Rectifier output straight out into the VCA. Pretty simple. But then route the Mod Wheel to a Multiplexer input, then cut the output in half by turning the Gain down to 50. Send the Mod Wheel output to the Mod input of another Multiplexer, and then route +5V to the input of that same Multiplexer. Now connect its output to the second input of the first Multiplexer connected to the Rectifier. This appears to "undo" the rectification when you increase the Mod Wheel. NEAT :tu:

You don't actually need the +5v in that case. Just set the Gain for both channels of a Multiplexer to 50, route the oscillator and the Mod wheel to the inputs of the Multiplexer and send the output to the rectifier.

Like this:

Keep in mind, you can use any signal as an offset (LFOs, envelopes, sequencers, other oscillators, etc.).

The reason this works is the rectifier is inverting any signal that goes below 0, like an absolute value in math. When you introduce an offset, less and less of the signal is going below 0, until the whole wave becomes unipolar (at which point the rectifier has no effect). The rectifier works similarly to a diode in electrical circuits (but not exactly the same). Since the outputs filter out the DC component, you will always have a nice bipolar wave coming from Bazille.

One of my favorite tricks, using this method, is to invert the signal coming out of the rectifier, offset it again and then send it through another rectifier. This way you apply the affect to the top and bottom of the wave. There are a few examples of this technique in my patches.

There are lots of ways to approach things in Bazille, due to it's modular nature. That's what makes it so much fun!

justin3am wrote:You don't actually need the +5v in that case. Just set the Gain for both channels of a Multiplexer to 50, route the oscillator and the Mod wheel to the inputs of the Multiplexer and send the output to the rectifier.

Like this:

Keep in mind, you can use any signal as an offset (LFOs, envelopes, sequencers, other oscillators, etc.).

The reason this works is the rectifier is inverting any signal that goes below 0, like an absolute value in math. When you introduce an offset, less and less of the signal is going below 0, until the whole wave becomes unipolar (at which point the rectifier has no effect). The rectifier works similarly to a diode in electrical circuits (but not exactly the same). Since the outputs filter out the DC component, you will always have a nice bipolar wave coming from Bazille.

One of my favorite tricks, using this method, is to invert the signal coming out of the rectifier, offset it again and then send it through another rectifier. This way you apply the affect to the top and bottom of the wave. There are a few examples of this technique in my patches.

There are lots of ways to approach things in Bazille, due to it's modular nature. That's what makes it so much fun!
That's an awesome trick! Wow! You can create some wonderfully complex waveforms this way. Just checked your YT and SoundCloud. Damn dude, yer a fargin' wizard! :love:

You're too kind. I'm no wizard (maybe you are thinking of Jordan Rudess :hihi:) just a nerd with a very accommodating wife.

justin3am wrote:You're too kind. I'm no wizard (maybe you are thinking of Jordan Rudess :hihi:) just a nerd with a very accommodating wife.
Been reading the manual and bumped into your name within the "Tips and Tricks" section. Some really cool techniques in there :tu:

Return to “u-he”